Southern Living Lemon-Cheese Cake recipe | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Southern Living Lemon-Cheese Cake recipe

Last post May 07, 2006 2:47 PM by peachygirl_GA . 5 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
  • Southern Living Lemon-Cheese Cake recipe
    There's no cheese in this cake; however it was justly named for its luscious cheeselike lemon curd filling.

1 cup soft butter
    2 cups sugar
    3/4 cup water
    1/4 cup milk
    3 1/4 cups sifted cake flour
    2 3/4 teaspoons baking powder
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
    6 egg whites

Beat butter until creamy, gradually add sugar beating well. Combine water and milk, set aside. Combine flour, baking powder and salt; add to butter mixture alternately with milk mixture, beginning and ending with flour. Mix at low speed after each addition. Stir in flavoring. Beat egg whites until stiff peaks form, gently fold into batter. Pour into 3 greased and floured 9 inch pans. Bake at 350 for 20-25 minutes. Cool in pans 10 minutes, remove and cool completely. Spread Lemon-cheese filling between layers and on top. Spread lemony white frosting on sides.

Lemon-cheese filling
    1 cup sugar
    3 tablespoons cornstarch
    1/8 teaspoon salt
    2 tablespoons grated lemon rind
    1 cup fresh lemon juice (about 5 large lemons)
    6 egg yolks beaten
    1/3 cup butter or margarine

combine sugar, cornstarch and salt in a heavy saucepan; stir well. Add lemon rind and juice; cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until mixture thickens and comes to a boil. Boil 1 minute, stirring. Gradually stir half of hot mixture into egg yolks; add to remaining hot mixture, stirring constantly. Cook 1 minute or until thoroughly heated. Remove from heat, add butter, stirring. Cool completely.

cont'd
    False
  • RE: Southern Living Lemon-Cheese Cake recipe
    Lemony white frosting

1 cup sugar
    1/3 cup water
    2 tablespoons light corn syrup
    2 egg whites
    1/4 cup powdered sugar
    1/2 teaspoon lemon extract

Combine sugar, water, and corn syrup in large heavy saucepan. Cook over medium heat, stirring, until clear. Cook, without stirring, until candy thermometer registers 240 degrees. Beat egg whites at high speed until soft peaks form. Continue to beat, adding hot mixture in a heavy stream. Add powdered sugar and lemon extract and continue to beat until stiff peaks form and it is thick enough to spread.
    False
    Peachy thanks for clearing that up.

It sounds good.
    False

The secret of happiness is not in doing what one likes, but in liking what one has to do. ~Barrie

Math is fun!

Click for Soldotna, Alaska Forecast

I guess it should be called lemon-curd cake! LOL!
    I remember my dh's grandmother making this cake without the white frosting on the sides. The first time I ate it she asked if I would like chocolate or lemon cheese cake and I was thinking "cheesecake". I was surprised when she brought out a layer cake and even though it was delicious I never could figure out there the cheese was!
    False
    holy cow that is ALOT of sugar
    False
    Yep, maybe that's why it's so good! LOL!
    False