Neighbor is listening in on phone conversations | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Neighbor is listening in on phone conversations

Last post Jul 27, 2006 5:29 PM by FtLaudMom . 53 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 4 (54 items) 1234
  • Neighbor is listening in on phone conversations
    We have a neighbor who openly admits he uses his baby monitor to listen to other neighbors phone conversations and then blabs all the info he hears to other neighbors. WE are talking finacial problems, marital problems etc etc. After we first moved here, I told my Mom about all the goings on around the 'hood. ITs a real Peyton Place-if you know what I mean. Anyway, I discovered that this neighbor then blabbed to everyone what I said to my Mom. After that, I realized that my conversations could be picked up by anyone and I should use discression etc. But I cant have a private conversation with anyone with this guy around! People have told him to stop, they dont want to hear the gossip etc etc but he still continues. His kids are WAY too old for baby monitors.
    False
  • RE: Neighbor is listening in on phone conversations

If you use a corded phone instead of a cordless, he will not be able to hear you.

False
    He can't pick up land lines, can he?? I know cordless phones and cell phones can be easily picked up on baby monitors, etc., but I thought land line phones were pretty safe that way.

Sheese, what a jerk your neighbor is!
    False
    Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are. "John Wooden"
    I meant corded phones, not just land line phones. Like Alabama said.
    False
    Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are. "John Wooden"
    This creeps me out! I would report him to the police! E-gads what next peeking into windows?

False
    Yes, I know a few people who went out and bought a corded phone because of him but we only have cordless, mainly because we only have 2 phone jacks-1 in the kitchen and 1 in the family rm for our satellite. It just burns my cheese that he is such a jerk and that I would have to buy a corded phone and be trapped in my own house because he is so nosy. He is even responisble (well partially I guess) for the break up of 3 marriages!!!!!!
    False
    We used to have a neighbor who listened to everyone's conversations with a police scanner.

She thought no on knew, but she told one neighbor and she told all the rest of us.

So we started a little campaign where we all called each other and gossiped about the lady with the scanner...she was livid!

This went on for an entire summer. After she confronted several neighbors we told her what we'd done and she got rid of the scanner
    False
    If you use cordless ,yes, your phone conversations can be picked up..

Need a corded/land line phone for protection..

Our neighbors went to a party 2 blocks away...Thru the conversation at the party , it was realized their baby monitor was sending their personal conversations 2 blocks away.

They caught on to each other by the names used...They did not know each other before this party...But something clicked by the names used and the situation talked about. I was really surprised..

Another time, years ago my DD was in the basement with the cordless phone. She came upstairs and said their was an argument on the phone. She recognized their voices a neighbor 2 doors over...They were divorced a year later...and she then died the next year...Drove herself into a pole all by herself during late hours...Sad ending...
    False
    You can pick up cell phone calls even on a radio scanner.

Do you have a party line? how can he hear yours. My SIL's line is messed up, and her and her DD's phone calls can be heard by each other.
    False

catmint

I've heard this discussed before and I think there it makes a difference if you have an analog or digital cordless phone, plus the MHz rating makes a difference, too. You might go check out different cordless phones at Radio Shack or Best Buy or someplace like that. I think the deal is if you have a high MHz rating and it's digital, it won't cross over.
    False
    Also a couple years back, it was on the news, that there are machines people can sit in their cars and pick up conversations on cordless phones. They were using them to get bank numbers, just personal information...Just by pushing your buttons , they could figure out bank numbers, passwords....This from cordless phones...It was big news around here..

Don't know if the newer cordless phones now can block this from happening...
    False
    hmm, i didn't know that about a cordless phone. I still don't know how he picks them up, thoug.

The cordless, you still have to put them in a jack, don't you? I am so confused. LOL

You could get one of those jacks that you can put one in another room, and one in a jack, and then use the phone. I got my DS one on clearance at Walmart, and it works.

but still, if you want to go outside.... oh , well. sounds like you need to report him.
    False

catmint

MissEllie-we have a 900mHz digital cordless phone and he can pick up our phone conversations from 5 houses away!!!!!

Last yr the police were out and talked to him. There is nothing that they can do because its not illegal but they tried to tell him that he was causing a riff between his neighbors etc. He just laughed. He could care less.
    False
    You should have one corded phone in your house if you want to talk any personal information/conversation..

Plus , when the power does go out...the cordless won't work...the wall corded phone still works when there is a power outage..
    False
    We have a scanner for years, but never have picked up anything but what is supposed to..never heard personal calls on it yet....
    False