When a baby is christened, who buys the christening outfit? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

When a baby is christened, who buys the christening outfit?

Last post Aug 12, 2006 9:37 PM by NaughtyKat_PA_F . 16 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 2 (17 items) 12
  • When a baby is christened, who buys the christening outfit?
    Who usually buys it...the parents or godparents? Are there any guidelines, or is it different for protestants, catholics, etc?
    False
  • RE: When a baby is christened, who buys the christening outfit?
    My DH and I bought the christianing dress for our godchild. Oh man...it was pricey.
    False
    I bought my own for the boys and DD used theone I wore when I was a baby.

BOY I went and looked up etiquette for a baby baptism or christening - GEESH i did a lot wrong I guess LOL!!

http://www.bartleby.com/95/23.html
    False
    I bought for all my children. I wanted special outfits. Would not think of having the godparents do it.
    False
    Dis,
    Not to change the subject but how does your new do look???
    False
    The mom and I went shopping. She had all the input into the gown she wanted. Actually it was one I had seen before and thought she would pick. The gown and shoes came to about $300. I paid the bill. She also gave me a book on what Godparents are suppose to do!!!! LOL
    False
    My MIL gave me the gown her husband had been christened in.
    She had 5 boys and her husband wouldn't let her have them christened in a gown.

I had both my son and daughter christened in it.
    It's a very simple guaze gown from the 1920's.

I'll give it to one of my kids when (if) they have a child.
    False
    Guess the Godparents are supposed to pay for a lot, but we bought our children's & the godparents gave them a special gift.
    False

DO NOT REGRET GROWING OLDER.

IT'S A PRIVILEGE DENIED TO MANY.

I bought the gown for my granddaughter and asked to keep it later, as my son and my DGD's mother were not married. BTW, she willingly gave me the dress and knew I would keep it for my DGD someday.
    False
    Whan I was Godmother for my nieces, I bought the gowns.
    For my children, I had my wedding dress made into a gown (my aunt made it) and both of my children wore the gown, dd and ds. Needless to say, my dh was not a happy camper that our son wore a gown. Too bad! It was special because it was worn by both of the kids and I had their names and dates of their christenings embrodered into the underskirt of the gown. When they have kids then their kids can wear it and I will have their names and dates embrodered into it also.

False
    Parents or grandparents.
    False
    Aspiring to inspire before I expire! Faith, Family, Friends!
    Could someone tell me the purpose of christening a baby?
    False
    In our church, we do baby dedication. It is not a big show. Only one family had their child in a christening outfit, and the dad hated it, as it was his son. We still have not done youngest child, will wait till Fall when more family and friends are around.
    False
    oh abc, I don't think we want to get into that subject...too many different feelings and thoughts...too many theologies etc etc.
    as far as the gown goes...I would think the parents should have at least a say in the matter of which gown or outfit...good grief..my dgd was born and mil decided she had to buy the gown..my daughter was appalled at what grandma picked out and subsequently doesn't even have the pictures out. she hates them cuz of the darn sparkly ugly gown ...well, the whole idea was foreign to her anyway since we believe in dedicating a baby to the Lord until they are old enough to make a decision as to living for God and turning thier lives over to Him and then they are baptised...immersed...anyway..they did the baptism to shut the other grandma up and then she had to buy the gown besides...lol..oh boy, the fun was just beginning with a mil like that. :)
    False
    We have a christening gown in the family and each baby's name is embroidered on the slip when they wear it. It's pretty special.
    False
    Click for Cape Coral, Florida Forecast