Rasm-e-Hina Ceremony | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Rasm-e-Hina Ceremony

Last post Sep 22, 2006 12:07 PM by bebberly_MI . 6 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
  • Rasm-e-Hina Ceremony
    Does anyone know what this ceremony is? I have been invited to the ceremony which is being held for the daughter of one of my co-workers. They are Pakistani and this is held two days before the wedding of the daughter. The invitation says, "Ladies Only" so I think it may be something like a shower. Don't know whether to buy a gift or not. HELP!! Beverly
    False
  • RE: Rasm-e-Hina Ceremony
    your question is so interesting, that I have been trying to look up answers on line (you have most likely done this) and I haven't found much. It seems Hindu, but some Pakistanis are Muslim, so I don't know? I really think you should call or at work talk to the lady who invited you and tell her you respect her family and culture and want to learn more, but really don't know about her custom. Ask her things like, if a gift, what do others bring? how expensive? what would you wear? (you wouldn't want to offend accidentally) I hope you will share with the BB when you find out more about this. You really got me curious!
    False
    Check this out. Seems this is banned in Pakastan now.

http://www.ljcp.gov.pk/reports/rep%2059.doc

it's on Acrobat Reader
    False
    Don't know either, but found some interesting pictures. As KitchenFairy said, just ask. You might also ask if there are any colors you should not wear. Also, if you are attending the wedding and it's in a mosque, you might have to take yours shoes off - just in case you wanted to know that.

http://www.mqm.org/English-News/Feb-2004/ifweddsn040213_4.htm

Neat pictures of a Rasm-ehina ceremony and wedding.
    I'm not Indian or Pakistani, but I did marry an Iranian and some of the ceremonies look the same.

In the pictures you will see....
    someone touching the brides hands --- they are giving gold rings; if you look at the other guest, they are holding a little black box = more jewelery. Same picture of the groom receiving more jewelery. Could be any jewelery - rings, necklaces, bracelets.

Older woman feeding groom. Probably something sweet to sweeten their life together. Will also be fed to bride. This is an assumption --- that's what is done in the Persian weddings.

BTW these are different days, with different clothes if you look closely. Bride has henna tattoo on her hands. I believe this is done at the ceremony 2 days before. A coworker once told me the bride does no housework until the henna is gone, however I mentioned that to a Indian years later and they said they had never heard of that - who knows.

Check out that picture with the flowers covering her head. I have no idea what that is, but it's interesting to look at. I have heard, to be funny, they will dress the brides sister or friend as the bride and the groom will get a big surprise (thinking he is leaving with bride, but its really her sister)

The pictures with the scarf thing over their head is each family coming together to be one. The bride is surrounded by her family and groom surrounded by his.
    False
    Click for San Dimas, California Forecast
    Don't know whether to buy a gift or not. HELP!! Beverly

I just thought of something else. Again my experience is with Persians, but it could be similar. If you ask, "do I bring a gift" an American will understand you are trying to learn the culture and will answer your question 'yes' or 'no'. Some cultures (Persians included) will answer 'no' even though everyone else will be bringing a gift. To answer 'yes' is considered rude.

I've learned over the years to word my questions carefully. ie after asking about the ceremony, you might say, "does she receive gifts?" - "what kind of gifts?".
    False
    Click for San Dimas, California Forecast
    Excellent advice, SpicyChick
    False
    Well, I asked the Father of the Bride to Be and he said that he had never been to the ceremony and would have to ask his wife and let me know. He said he knows that they eat and that it lasts 4-5 hours. Considering that it is scheduled to begin at 7 that is going to be a late evening. The night before Thanksgivings and the wedding reception is the day after Thanksgivings. I asked him about what to wear and he said that you should get dressed up. Whatever. That would mean a nice dress and not something you worked all day in. Oh boy, this is going to be something. I am glad that both banquet halls are close to where I live. Will keep you informed. Thanks for the advice. Beverly
    False