Can skunks climb fences??? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Can skunks climb fences???

Last post Sep 19, 2010 6:56 PM by DANA283 . 10 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
  • Can skunks climb fences???
    Probably everyone but me knows the answer. Can skunks climb fences? The last few mornings when I open the door to let our dog out in the back yard I can smell skunk. Scares me to death that there could be one in the yard. We have an 8 foot fence enclosing the yard but I've been taking her out on a leash just in case. There are protected wetlands about 2 blocks from our street and they might be over there but they sure smell strong sometime. I know - if there was one out there we would both get hit but at least she wouldn't be able to chase it and catch it!
    False
    Click for Cape Coral, Florida Forecast
  • RE: Can skunks climb fences???
    Yes, skunks can climb, but they may not be climbing the fence. If a skunk is in the area the aroma can carry for a long distance. When I lived on the farm, I could smell them occasionally, but they were in the field and not near the house.
    False
    I doubt that they can climb fences but they can dig under them...we had one do that in our yard. We took moth balls wrapped in nylon net and set them around the fence where the skunk might be able to get under it...that did the job...no more skunk.
    False
    I doubt they could, or would, climb an 8-foot fence, but yes, they could burrow under.

But why do you say it scares you to think one could get into your yard? I've had skunks in the yard many times. When I had an outdoor cat, a skunk family came by every evening to nibble catfood. They were quiet and polite. Never sprayed anyone, never bothered the cat.

Of course, if your dog corners the skunk it will defend itself. And you will clean the dog and the environment, and doggy will learn a lesson he won't be eager to repeat.

Basic home treatment I've heard from several sources:

If you have hydrogen peroxide, baking soda (not powder), and dish soap handy, you can mix up a bath that neutralizes the smell. An easy to remember recipe of one pint of hydrogen peroxide, one small box of baking soda, and a couple of squirts of any dish washing liquid mixed in a gallon of water makes an effective, scientifically based antidote.
    False
    It has been known that skunks do climb,however, more than likely it dug and got under the fence. They do this for sure. Or also like mentioned might not be even that close to your home, one was hit in front of five houses down from us and we could smell it for weeks.
    False
    I have never heard of skunks climbing fences but they will climb and dig under them. They mostly come out at night and if they have sprayed even close to your property you can smell them. Our animal control officer says that they rarely are seen in the daylight, they like the cover of dark. And they do carry rabies.
    False

Seems like a whole bunch of them climbed the fence at the whitehouse & got inside.
    False

May you never forget to remember what is worth remembering, nor ever remember what is best forgotten.                                                                                         

They don't seem like they can climb, the ones I've seen kind of waddle. They could dig under or get through a loose board.

Certain times of the year they come up on the porch and eat the dry catfood I put out for the "outside cats"(2 are mine, neutered and stay around the house and at least 1 comes from somewhere and is very afraid, if I open the door he runs)I've seen baby skunks on the porch and they are SERIOUSLY SO CUTE! White fluff (narrow black stripe, maybe it grows as they do) Once one was on the porch, dogs were barking (inside) and I turned on the light. The little white skunk looked up at me like "hey, don't pay any attention to me, I'm just a kitten". They don't seem too afraid. Probably I'm more afraid of them. When they are on the porch or around the house and I open the door, they do run off but it's more like slowly waddle off.

I just don't like it when they get in the trash. They seem to come around in late fall.

Of course if a dog ran after one it'd get sprayed and that's not so good.

False
    Oh man! Never thought of them burrowing under the fence - I can't even see the bottom of the fence for flowers and bushes.

BofC - I am concerned about skunks getting into my backyard because I have a German Shepherd who guards her property against man and beast! She is not about to sit back and watch an animal without investigating and she would definitely get "skunked." I always have all the ingredients for the "recipe" just in case. I am a lover of wildlife but snakes and skunks can go somewhere other than my house!
    False
    Click for Cape Coral, Florida Forecast
    Skunks
    Generally, skunks won't be in your house; they'll be under it. You usually know because of the smell.

Try ammonia-soaked rags or moth balls under the house or shed to drive skunks out. Also watch for dug-up areas on your lawn. Skunks love grubs and will tear up your yard looking for them. Don't worry about skunks climbing. They will be a problem at ground level only.

As with most nuisance wildlife, you'll want to exclude them before they decide to have young in the spring. Also, keep pet food indoors and keep garbage cans secure.

Skunks are another species known to carry rabies. Be careful to avoid contact, but report any contact (bite, scratch, or handling) to your local Health Department. Sick skunks may be difficult to identify due to their normally slow, shuffling gait.

Keep pets, especially dogs, away from skunks on your property. The first time a dog comes home after being sprayed, you'll know why. You can obtain commercial products from a pet supply store, or try washing the dog in tomato juice or in the following solution:

1 quart 3% hydrogen peroxide
    1/4 cup baking soda
    1 teaspoon liquid soap
    Skunks may be legally destroyed when they are causing damage, when they are sick, or when they are a health concern. Be advised, however, that they may empty their scent glands when they die. If destroying a skunk, do so well away from the house. Unless you feel lucky, live-trapping skunks is a job better left to professionals!
    http://www.dec.state.ny.us/website/reg8/wild/injnuiswl.html
    False
  • Re: Can skunks climb fences???

I DONT KNOW IF THEY CAN CLIMB. THAT WAS MY QUESTION TO. LAST NIGHT I WENT IN MY FENCED IN YARD TO LET MY DOGS OUT. GOOD THING I WENT FIRST AND AS I TOOK ONE STEP OUT I WAS STARING INTO THE SKUNKS FACE. HE WAS RIGHT NEXT TO ME EATING THE DOG FOOD WHICH I FORGOT TO PUT IN THE HOUSE. GOOD THING HE DIDNT GET THRU THE DOGGIE DOOR WHICH I HAD LEFT OUT TO. BUT HE DID NOT LOOK AFRAID OF ME. ALTHOUGH I WAS ABOUT TO HAVE A HEART ATTACK. ABOUT 2 MONTHS AGO AT 5:30 AM WHEN I GOT UP FOR WORK I LET MY DOG OUT AND THE POOR THING HE GOT SPRAYED ALL OVER HIS FACE. MAN WHEN I TELL YOU WHEN HE RAN BACK IN THE HOUSE AND I REALIZED WHAT HAD HAPPENED I WAS THROWING UP FOR ABOUT AN HOUR. NEEDLESS TO SAY THERE WAS NO PLACE OPEN AT THAT HOUR OF THE MORNING TO TAKE HIM TO GET DESKUNKED SO I CALLED THE EMERGENCY VET WHO TOLD ME TO MIX 1 QUART PEROXIDE, 1 TEASPOON OF BAKING SODA AND A TABLESPOON OF DAWN DISH LIQUID AND PUT THAT ON HIM. WELL WHEN I TELL YOU THAT WORKED SO MUCH BETTER THAN THE TOMATOE JUICE I HAD USED ON MY OTHER DOG AND SON WHEN THEY GOT SKUNKED. BUT THEY ARE A BEAUTIFUL ANIMAL.

False