How do I remove Rust from scissors? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

How do I remove Rust from scissors?

Last post Oct 18, 2006 1:53 AM by BonnieRae . 10 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
  • How do I remove Rust from scissors?
    I left a pair of metal scissors outside when I was planting my gorgous pansies last week, and it rained and now my scissors blades are covered in rust, and I tried an SOS pad, but it didn't help. Any ideas on what to do? : )
    Thanks!
    False
  • RE: How do I remove Rust from scissors?
    I've used lemon juice & salt mixed together. Poured it on a green scrubbie.
    False
    There is a product called "Bar Keepers Friend". It comes in powder form in a can much like Comet. I find that this cleaner is great for so many problems. It cleans copper, stainless steel, pyrex, many surfaces. I always have it on hand.

I have used it to remove rust. I would try to do your scissors this way: Moisten the scizzor blades with water and moisten a portion of a sheet of paper towel. Work the cleaner onto the blades. Rinse and if it isn't gone, then apply again this time using a scrubbing pad like Scotch Brite.
    False
    Bonnie, where can I purchase Bar Keepers Friend?

TIA
    False
    it's with the comet and ajax cleansers.
    i found this:
    Removing rust

Cutting fruits and vegetables with a rusty trusty old knife is asking for more iron than you bargained for. And your health may suffer adversely as well. To remove rust from knives and scissors, immerse them in a container of vinegar and boil for half an hour.
    False
    Thank you!
    False
    The lemon juice works really good on some rust and white vinegar on others. Everything you need is proably already in your cabinets. Good Luck with that.
    False

Nature is the 'Great Mysterious' ... the religion before religions. Peter Matthiessen, Indian Country

Although all of the above suggestions will work, the easiest method is a plastic bowl and a can of Coke. Put the scissors in the bowl with the Coke. The Coke won't eat through the bowl, but it will cut through the rust. Let it sit a couple hours. Oil your scissors up with some mineral oil, let it soak, wipe of excess, and go on your merry way.

That's how I get the rust out if I neglect my cast iron. I should suspect it would work on scissors as well.

Good luck!
    False
    "...good things come to those who wait. True, but unless you're making a souffle or catching the bus, better things come to those who do something."--Amy Alkon demotivational posters
    see more
    I forgot a step--be sure to wash the scissors well with detergent and rinse well to remove the Coke before you wipe on the oil.
    False
    "...good things come to those who wait. True, but unless you're making a souffle or catching the bus, better things come to those who do something."--Amy Alkon demotivational posters
    see more
    Kristyn, I find Bar Keepers Friend at WalMart and sometimes my grocery store.
    False