What was the cost of cigarettes in 1978? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

What was the cost of cigarettes in 1978?

Last post Jan 09, 2007 8:38 PM by Albany_NY . 15 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 2 (16 items) 12
  • What was the cost of cigarettes in 1978?
    My brother stopped smoking in 1978. He always says he stopped when cigarettes went up to 25 cents a pack.

I never smoked but I thought for SURE they would have been more expensive than 25 cents in 1978...does anyone remember?
    False
  • RE: What was the cost of cigarettes in 1978?
    i'd guess around .59
    False
     Photobucket
    My DH would buy them at the base exchange for 25 cents in 1978.
    False

Some days, I can literally see the testosterone floating in the air around here. 

I think in 1978 they were about 5.50 a carton.
    False
    i got them for $2.75 a carton on the base....
    False

Old age ain't no place for sissies . -Bette Davis-
    .25 would be around right. We were paying about $12 a carton (20 packs to a carton) in GA in '77. Could get the same thing in NC for $10 per carton because they had lower cigarette taxes. I remember that price well, because in Oct. 77 I came to NC with a friend for the weekend, I bought two cartons at $10 per carton, and when we got in a wreck on the way home, the deputies took my dam_n cigarettes for themselves!
    False
    I think that's what we paid. Maybe a little less? If so, not by much.
    False
    I quit back in 75.

I recall when they jumped from 35¢ to 50¢ and I was so upset by it. That must have been right around the year 1975, I'm guessing.

A carton cost right around $10.00/$15.00--at least that's what comes to mind.
    False

DO NOT REGRET GROWING OLDER.

IT'S A PRIVILEGE DENIED TO MANY.

Two packs for a dollar in Atlanta.
    False
    I remember buying them for 50 cents out of a machine I was a Junior in high school.
    False
    Aunt Bee~Cathy
    Charleston Gazette, The - NewspaperArchive - Feb 16, 1978 THE PRICE of a pack of cigarettes ranges from about 55 to 75 cents.
    False
    I'm not sure but cigs were 25 censt a pack in the 50's and 60's...so I would guess at 50 cents to a dollar a pack by 1978
    False
    25 cents it was! :)
    False
    They were 25 cents in the 50's (26 cents for King Size) 1956 or so.

I found something online that said 35 cents a pack in 1976.

it would depend on where you lived and what kind you bought.

When they were $4.50 here for name brand like Marlboro, DH would buy Misty (thin, so he probably smoked more) for $1.29

I haven't smoked since 1966 but if I wanted to now I'd buy loose tobacco and roll my own (buy one of those little machines)

My mother used to say "if cigarettes ever got up to 50 cents a pack!" she would quit. Then she said..."$1.00. She quit in the early 80's and they were over $1. a pack then, because we used to remind her about it.
    But that was MA. Up in NH without a sales tax and lower prices along the state lines to attract shoppers, they were less.
    Before one DD quit 4 years ago, they were around $4-5 a pack in MA and she'd drive up to NH once a week and get a carton for $33.
    I don't think they were 25 cents a pack in 1978, but maybe in some states and lower priced brands?
    At one time there were only a few brands,then "king size" (then filters) was something new and cost more. What were the brands? (asking myself if I remember (LOL)
    Camels (really strong)
    Old Gold
    Lucky Strike (LSMFT! Remember TV commercials for cigarettes and the dancing lucky Strike packs? see what they younguns missed!)
    Pall Mall (they were longer)

one of the first filter ones I remember was Parliment. And KOOLs were menthal.
    False
    BFC--I thought there were 10 packs to a carton, but I don't smoke.

Thanks everyone...maybe my brother was right, but I thought for sure they'd have been much more expensive.

False