Don't horses get too cold? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Don't horses get too cold?

Last post Jan 16, 2007 7:25 AM by doeraymefaso_pa . 15 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 2 (16 items) 12
  • Don't horses get too cold?
    We live in the country. Everyone around us has horses. It is freezing, sleeting and horrible outside. I feel so sorry for the horses, goats and donkey's. They have no shelter in most homes here and no coats. I could not have a animal outside with no shelter or coat. I feel horrible just looking at them from my warm home. :(
    False
  • RE: Don't horses get too cold?
    They don't have barns or stables?? That seems odd. If they could just get out of the elements it would help!
    False
    no...they get a winter coat....thick furry coats...lots of wild horses around here....
    False

It's not how you start, it's how you end....so end strong!!

Walk yourself strong!!

Around here everyone has stables/barns for their animals. You will often see cows standing out in the middle of some terrible weather, but come on, they are not the brightest animals out there! My friend has a horse farm and she has her horses up in the stable during bad weather. She would never just leave them out to suffer from the elements, they are her bread and butter.
    False
    Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are. "John Wooden"
    Why wouldn't they have a stable or someplace for them? That doesn't sound right. It sounds like animal cruelty to me.
    False
    Very few here have shelter. Some do, more not than others. They don't even ride them. Just seems like they are there for their childrens amusement and a whim. It really breaks my heart. There is ice hanging on the trees and roofs. I bet there is ice hanging off of those poor critters.
    False
    NO....NO.........BAD, BAD Karma!
    False
    Where do you live and how cold is it?

Shelter would be good, but if the horses get used to being outside, they grown heavy coats.

Also, if there's more than one they stand together in a circle at times.

Last winter my DD moved from FL and had her 3 horses (who came from FL) shipped here (to northern VT) She was concerned about the cold and bought them all blankets, the hauling co put on as they got further north. Even though I think the trailer they were in was "horse heaven" with heated/AC and stalls and like a horse hotel.

When they got there, they LOVED the snow. They kept wiggling out of their blankets, getting them all crooked, and finally they got left off. Before very long they had thick furry coats. Never had any bad effects of coming from FL (they had never lived anywhere else) to northern VT.

They do have a barn and are put in when it's cold and weather bad. But, if they had their way, they'd stay outside.

A lot of horses (and cows/cattle) stay outside all the time, but from what I've seen most have a shelter of some kind. Even just a group of trees.

My DD's FL horses seeing snow for the first time (last year)

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y212/starchild_dreams/snowhorses_2.j pg

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y212/starchild_dreams/snowred.j pg

(close space after j)

False
    Call authorities, that is cruel.
    False

Rebecca

We had a hobby farm years ago, and had two horses. There was a big pole barn, and we left one door open on the end. They had access to hay both outside and in the barn. Guess where they spent their time? Outside! DH went out there every day after work, and one day it was snowing. The horses had about 3-4 inches of snow on their backs! They just wouldn't stay in the barn.

What is almost worse for horses, is to have them tied in a stall in a barn where they can't move around. Ideal is a box stall in a barn where they can move around and even lie down. But not all horses are kept this way.

How many people leave their dogs and cats outside all winter? A little dog house may provide shelter, but dogs are still cold.

My cats never go outside. And I don't have a horse anymore.
    False
    1. Click for Rochester, Minnesota Forecast    

Where we used to live the lady across from us had two horse and I loved that she took such good care of them.

It didn't get as cold there as it does up here but she had blanket things on them both when they were out during the day and they were always in a stable a night.

During the summertime she even had screen type things that fit over their face, this I later learned was to protect their eyes from horse flies.

I don't know what would happen if you'd call ASPCA or something, Tootie, just to see what their reaction is to this...but it wouldn't hurt to see what they'd say. It doesn't seem fair or very caring of the owner's, does it?
    False

DO NOT REGRET GROWING OLDER.

IT'S A PRIVILEGE DENIED TO MANY.

We live in the country also,and nearly every other house has a horse,so it seems. We did up until a couple years ago. But hardley anyone has shelter for them. Most people buy them to keep their pastures ate down.

I didn't know this until a vet told me. A horse doesn't get its winter coat,because the weather turns cold. Its the hours in the day that makes them start getting their heavier coat. Thats why alot of race horses have heat lamps and such in their stalls in the winter,yes for the warmth,but also to give the extra light,where the horse won't grow that extra fur.Then when the days start getting longer,they start shedding that hair.

Anyhow its very common here for horses to be out in the weather.
    False
    Cattle here are out all winter without shelter. They get out of the wind and keep moving. They pregnant cows are brought into a large barn during calving, incase they need help. They even breed to have cows calve in Februray when it is below zero and have small portble plastic huts (like overgrown dog houses but with a dor) to put the calves in so they can stay fairly warm during their first hours of life.
    Very few people have three sided shelters for their horses (open to the south) so they can keep out of the wind. Pastures are so large the animals can wonder and find shelteres in draws or in brush along small
    creeks.
    They have horses in Alaska. As long as an animal does not have to move fast and breathe too much cold air into their lungs too fast, they do fine.Most animals don't move around too much or too fast when it is extremely cold in order to conserve energy but and move slow when they have to.
    False
    I don't know about the horses getting winter coats because of the hours of light in the day. I used to work at a stable that boarded and trained Morgan show horses and they wouldn't heat the barn in winter, but they'd put blankets on to prevent them getting heavy coats.

Though most of the shows were in the Spring to Fall, it helped with getting them ready (sleek and smooth looking) first thing in the spring.

I have read somewhere that less light in the day is why marajuana plants bud.

Speaking of heating barns, I once went to see a new, high tech (for that time, 1970 or so) stable that had been made for show ponies (hackney) it was built like a house, had all wood paneling inside, with insulation in the walls.

As soon as it got cold the walls started to drip water. Condensation. It was a real problem, the water would puddle and run across the floors. From the heat and/or heat of the animals, without any way for it to escape. Don't remember what they did, but it had to be all rebuilt with vents put in and less heat.

When we first moved to VT in 1969 I heard a story about a family who lived way out in the country, who brought their cow and hores inside the house all winter to help them all keep warm. I also heard about old time Vermonters building a home OVER a shelter where the cows/horses would be all winter and the heat from the animals would heat the house (above) Don't know if these might just be stories the old timers told to the new comers (LOL)

False