Do you leave your dishwasher door open? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Do you leave your dishwasher door open?

Last post Mar 08, 2007 9:32 AM by RedLisa . 21 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 2 (22 items) 12
  • Do you leave your dishwasher door open?
    While putting the dishes away one evening, a friend of ours had left the door open (who doesn't?) and her young son came into the kitchen to ask his mom somthing, and didn't see it (?) and triped on it, and busted the door right off! The dishwasher is only one year old, and it is wrecked. The other day my s2 year old son was standing beside it, when he fell backwards, and hit the door. Fortunately I was sorta able to lessen the fall, but I still watched the door really sag. Just wanted to let you know to be careful, we don't need to be breaking one of man's greatest kitchen gadgets!
    False
  • RE: Do you leave your dishwasher door open?
    I used to leave mine open until my toddler ran through the kitchen, fell and had a steak knife jam into her arm. Took her to the ER, and she was fine, no muscle damage, but we were lucky. I always keep it closed now.
    False
    Nope. My cat would jump in on my clean dishes if it were open. Ick.
    False
    I don't leave it open. It is an accident waiting to happen.
    False

"She was not what you would call refined. She was not quite what you would call unrefined. She was the kind of person that keeps a parrot."

Mark Twain

well since the youngest in the house is 25...and runs when there are dishes to be done.. I do leave the door open while I load and empty the dishwasher...when mine were little I was the only dishwasher I had! so did not worry about them breaking it!!!!
    False

Old age ain't no place for sissies . -Bette Davis-
    I heard that one adult actually died because the door was open, and the rack pulled out, and an adult trip, and stabed a knive right thru the heart. I don't know if it is true, but I always keep mine closed if my back is turned. When my ds fell on mine, I was cleaning out the top rack, he is small enough that he just landed right on the door.
    False
    I don't leave my open because cats have tried to crawl into it..also it would be in the way.

I point all knives and forks down also.
    False
    With my old dishwasher, I turned around one day and bumped into the door as it was opened. Guess that I bumped it hard enough that one of the connections inside came undone. Luckily, DH was able to fix that problem. Who would have thought that the doors could be so sensitive and need a "gentle" touch.

False

Some days, I can literally see the testosterone floating in the air around here. 

If I left my door open I wouldn't be able to walk through my kitchen. I call it my swivel statiion. Huge house, teeny kitchen. Works for me!
    False

Is there a greater fault than being conscious of the other person's faults?

Kahlil Gibran

Maybe I don't get it, but why would you want to leave it open? I wouldn't want to look at a bunch of dirty dishes all day. And as everyone has pointed out, it's an accident waiting to happen. Sometimes just in the short time it takes me to unload the dishwasher, I bang my shin on the door. It if were open all the time, my shins would be a mass of bruises! I put the dishes in then close it (I don't LOCK it, just close it).
    False
    I usually run it in the evenings and then leave it open at night so the dishes can "air-dry". Then I empty it in the mornings and close 'er up.

False
    I also don't understand why anyone would leave the door open.
    False
    I never left mine open all the time, but if I was working in the kitchen, cooking, cleaning, etc., I would have it open. That's when my daughter ran through and fell. I also turn all the utensils down now, not up.
    False
    JoRose. I am talking about when you are cleaning up your kitchen. When I make trips from my table to my dishwasher, I used to leave the door open, now I close it between each trip. It is sort of a pain, but I won't take the risk no more. I would never leave mine open for no reason!
    False
    No never leave it open. I open door load shut. I open door empty shut. I can just see my kids when they were little climbing on it to get to the cabinet.
    False
    License