Why do my hands go to sleep and get numb at night? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Why do my hands go to sleep and get numb at night?

Last post Jan 27, 2012 4:47 PM by moly . 17 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 2 (18 items) 12
  • Why do my hands go to sleep and get numb at night?
    If it's pinched nerves why doesn't this happen during the day? It wakes me up several times during the night...first one and then the other!

Molly
    False
  • RE: Why do my hands go to sleep and get numb at night?
    it sounds like carpal/ulnar/cubital tunnel.
    carpal is your thumb, index and ring finger.
    ulnar is your ring and little finger.
    cubital is the "funny bone" in your elbow.
    don't sleep all curled up at night.
    do you sleep with your hands tucked under your chin and your elbows bent?
    try to sleep with your arms straight, or just slightly bent-about a 30º angle.
    this is the advice given to me by a hand surgeon. :)
    False
    and open your hands-don't clench them closed.
    False

May you never forget to remember what is worth remembering, nor ever remember what is best forgotten.                                                                                         

Hmmmm, I was having a similiar concern, but then I realized I was folding my wrist down & tucking my hand under my chin??

I know--truly it makes no sense to me either, but now that I'm aware of it and don't do it, I don't wake up with numb hands. LOL

Soooo if I might be so bold? What exactly are you doing w/ your hands at night, Molly??

LOL
    False

DO NOT REGRET GROWING OLDER.

IT'S A PRIVILEGE DENIED TO MANY.

oops! sorry-carpal is thumb, index, and long finger.
    False
    Sounds alot like carpal tunnel syndrome. BTDT and had surgical release on both my hands. The pain relief is/was wonderful! A simple, inexpensive thing to try is purchasing cock-up splints for each arm and sleep in them. The wrist naturally flexes when you relax sleep and it pinches the nerve. The cock-up splints will keep that from happening. My pain got so bad that I couldn't sleep at all and was even sitting up in a straight chair holding my hands down straight by my side. Don't let it get too bad before visiting the doc. If it is carpal tunnel (which for diagnosis will require EMG tests) and the damage is bad enough it's sometimes irreversible. Wal-Mart has the splints, or any chain drug stores like CVS, Rite-Aid or WalGreens.
    False
    Sorry to ask but have you had your cholestral checked lately?
    False
    I'll bet it does have something to do with a pinched nerve Molly. Same thing happens to me when I sleep. In my case, I'm sure it has to do with my shoulder issues. Do you ever nap during the day? If not, maybe that's why you haven't noticed it happening then. I sometimes take a nap in the day and sure enough, my hands, especially my left, will go to sleep. If I'm just going about my daily business they don't go to sleep. Annoying isn't it?
    False
    go to the dr. molly, if its carpal tunnel and you don't get it fixed you lose the muscle strength in that hand., i kept putting it off and my right palm is flatter than my left hand... its nothing to fool with..
    False

molly see your Doc!! it probably is carpal tunnel.. the surgery is easy but if you let it go too long you have a chance of really screwing up your hands...mine got so bad that I could not feel my left hand.. could not make it work... had the surgery and I was lucky.. but even my Doc was not guarenteeing anything on that hand!!I have had both hands done..1st one I was back on the boat working within 5 days....
    False

Old age ain't no place for sissies . -Bette Davis-
    I used to have the same problem -- mainly bothered me at night and when working on the computer. Got so bad I'd wake up crying. I never saw a doctor about it but suspected the beginning stages of carpal tunnel. Did some research and the thing that helped me was stretching exercises. Several times a day, I'd hold my hand palm up (like a server carrying a tray), grasp my four fingers together, then slowly and gently bend backwards, stretching the muscles in my palm and forearm for about 10 seconds. Then do the other arm and repeat 3-4 times. Solved the problem completely for me.
    False
    My right hand goes to sleep when driving. Me, drive, not my hand., Well, it does, but, it doesn't drive. *whew*
    False

catmint

I agree with Inzpooper. You should have your cholesterol checked. This can be a sign of slowing blood flow. It's probably the easiest thing to check before getting involved with testing/diagnostics for carpal tunnel syndrome. A simple blood test will confirn or deny high cholesterol.
    False

If we had no faults of our own, we would not take so much pleasure in noticing those of others.  ~

I had the test for corporal tunnel syndrome if it's the test with the needles, my cholesterol has always been fine but will have that looked at again!

Renee...LOL Well I toss and turn a lot and usually have at least one hand under my pillow!

Molly
    False
    oh ya Molly it is the one with the needles!!!!!
    False

Old age ain't no place for sissies . -Bette Davis-