what can you buy with food stamps? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

what can you buy with food stamps?

Last post Oct 23, 2009 11:58 AM by aaustinbj . 30 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 3 (31 items) 123
  • what can you buy with food stamps?
    I am seeing more & more people using the food stamps card - and putting beer, shampoo, gum, etc. on the conveyor belt and give the cashier the food stamp card for the whole bill (don't pay for things like beer separate). Does this card cover anything in the grocery store?
    False
  • RE: what can you buy with food stamps?
    Not around here it doesn't pay for those extras....Even american cheese has to be a certain kind only, no beer , cigaretts or paper goods...

I would question the store... I thought most computer registers would catch those kind of items....
    False
    Several years ago,when my husband was leayed off,we had to receive food stamps for 2 months.Food only,and nothing from the deli(meats,cheeses,etc.),only food.They also tried to get me to get involved in a program that offered cash assistance,but I dont remember what it was called.I think it had a card also.TANF,I think it was called.We declined,as we figured by the time that kicked in,his job would have called him back(and it did,thank God).But,beer?Not on food stamps,but I guess the government is now paying for people to drink.Wonderful!
    False

are you sure it's a food stamp card??? cause you can not buy any of those items you listed...
    False

It's not how you start, it's how you end....so end strong!!

Walk yourself strong!!

Now you can have your Gov. asstances checks put onto your foodstamp card.
    Its all on the same card,but different moneys. But when they are checking out and swipe the card,it will have them choose to take it off their food part or actual money part.
    But if they run out of "Cash" they can't buy anything but food with it.

Did that make sense?
    False
    Zakons you are thinking of WIC which limits you to certain types of cheese.

With food stamps you can buy ANY food that is nonalcoholic and not ready to eat. For example, you cannot use it to buy a roasted chicken from the deli but you can buy a birthday cake. If someone bought beer it was probably from the cash account on their card.

"Spending Your Food Stamp Benefits
    Food stamp benefits can only be used for food and for plants and seeds to grow food for your household to eat.

Sales tax cannot be charged on items bought with food stamp benefits.

Food stamp benefits cannot be used to buy:
    Any nonfood item, such as pet foods; soaps, paper products, and household supplies; grooming items, toothpaste, and cosmetics
    Alcoholic beverages and tobacco
    Vitamins and medicines
    Any food that will be eaten in the store
    Hot foods"

http://www.fns.usda.gov/fsp/applicant_recipients/facts.htm

This is the official site and if you have questions is the best resource. Too many rumors get started regarding the program.

False
    The registers will not allow a food stamp card for purchase of beer or non food items. The ones here will process the card then produce a new balance that must be paid by some other means such as cash or debit card.
    False
    maybe they are using a debit card or wellfare check on a card- food stamps are food only here.
    False
    I didn't know that it allowed you to buy plants and seeds. Also didn't know you could buy a cake.
    False
    Thats what I was saying...Now you can have your welfare "check" put on your foodstamp card. That way its only one card. I heard that people getting disability checks can just have it put on their foodstamp card,but I'm not forsure about that part.
    False
    I once read an article where they interviewed a person who used Food Stamps..she said that because she couldnt buy dog food with it, she bought steaks and good meat for her dogs!
    False
    Witty Whitney!
    The registers are computerized. So, the computer computes the total and then when you run your food stamp card it takes off what it covers. The rest has to be covered with cash, check, etc.

Food stamps do cover foods including cakes, deli items, etc.
    False
    Why not cakes? They cover other food items like chips and dips and snack foods. Beverly
    False
    I've heard that there are 2 or 3 senators who are eating food for only $3 a day, which is suppose to equal that of the typical person who recieves food stamps. If that is truly what people get a day to spend on food, $3 that is horrible.
    False
    My brother gets Disability and its only like $608.00 give or take a few bucks. He only gets 40.00 a month foodstamps. I guuess because he doesn't have kids. Needless to say,he's at my house several nights a week for supper. I mean really,40.00 a month barley gives him enough Groc. for 2 weeks. He usually just eats once a day.
    False