Will Moles or Voles eat tomatos from the roots? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Will Moles or Voles eat tomatos from the roots?

Last post May 24, 2007 4:27 PM by labrat_ . 5 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
  • Will Moles or Voles eat tomatos from the roots?
    I had this problem last year. I have a small plot near the creek. I have 7 tomatoe plants, 3 pepper plants.

One of my tomato plants wilted. Was wilted for about 3 days. Today, it is intirely gone. Another one is wilted now.

I had to replant last year a couple of them also. Finally got some going. The dirt is so nice there, i hate not to be able to plant something. Might have to plant something else. Maybe cucumbers?

Something sliced off the top leaves of one of my pepper plants, too. :(
    False

catmint

• RE: Will Moles or Voles eat tomatos from the roots?
    I don't know for sure--but I do know years ago we had an outdoor cat who used hang out where we had the tomatos planted and he always managed to catch meadow mice/voles in that part of the garden.
    False
    My aunt told me that cayenne pepper sprinkled on the leaves will deter animals like deer. Also, human hair around the plant is suppose to deter animals because they hate the smell of humans. I have tried it this year, so time will tell.
    False
    Catmint, It sounds like a gopher... We had them in the past and that's what happens to the plants.. They eat them from underground... We got 2 kittens and they take care of the gophers for us now...
    False
    gracie, I am not sure what a gopher is. We have two cats, and they have brought in tons of moles. I must have a gazillion of them.

I have some cayenne pepper in the cabinet. Thanks for reminding me of that Sports&cooking.

I wonder if watering with epsons salt would deter them. Maybe it would taste bad. I forgot to add epsons with them.
    False

catmint

Catmint, moles don't eat plants. They eat worms and grubs and other insects that live in the soil.

Voles will eat the roots of plants, they often get to them through mole tunnels. If you don't see mole tunnels in your garden, it's probably not voles. Voles will also chew on roots of trees and plants that are covered with brush and plants (instead of using mole tunnels they burrow in thick brush, as they are too lazy and blind to dig their own tunnels). So unless your garden is full of weeds, which I doubt, it wouldn't be voles.

Epsom salts will not deter them. It washes into the soil quickly and, if anything, animals will be attracted to it as they also need the minerals epsom salts contains.

I think it's gophers. And maybe deer or rabbits or groundhogs nipping the tops off the pepper plants. Forget the torture techniques (cayenne pepper) and other deterrents (they get used to the smell of human hair and know there's no danger) -- just put a chicken wire fence around your vegetable garden!
    False

"In the end we're all alone ... and no one's coming to save you."  -John Reese