Need Ideas...Prayer Meetings | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Need Ideas...Prayer Meetings

Last post May 31, 2007 12:53 PM by Honest_April . 17 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 2 (18 items) 12
  • Need Ideas...Prayer Meetings
    Our church meets once a month for prayer meetings and the numbers are down to a faithful few.

Our church leaders are getting together soon and asked a few of us to brain storm on how to get at least more than 10% to attend our monthly prayer meetings.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!
    False
  • RE: Need Ideas...Prayer Meetings
    Honey, you're going to think I'm trying to be smart, but I'm not. My suggestion is "PRAY!"

Pray and ask God to send who HE wants to the meetings. Perhaps the "faithful few" are the only ones really committed to prayer.

We had a group of 10 committed Christians meeting once years ago and prayers were answered as never before.

Second suggestion is tell your Church leaders to have a social gathering at another time--that would probably draw numbers. :)

God Bless!

False
    Thank you!

We have been praying for over 4 years now for God to send more prayer warriors. It is such a large church for less than 20 people each month to pray.

False
    We have a similar situation. Tonight there were about 12 members in attendance. Suddenly the door opened and in walked 7 visitors! We were so delighted. We welcomed them with open arms and invited them back for Sunday services.
    False
    Could you put an invitation in your bulletin that people can come to the prayer meetings with their serious problems and pray over them. When they leave their minds and hearts will be much lighter. Many people forget that they can take their concerns to the Lord and He will handle them.

Or if they or someone they know has a health issue, invite them to come on down and pray about it. It's the one thing to help heal that anyone can do.

Have a cookie and punch reception one night and invite everyone to come on in and see what goes on at a prayer meeting.
    False
    Stimpy Click for Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin Forecast
    Just a thought...
    First have the Church Elders and others in the Church share some Personal Testamonies of how God has been faithful to answer prayers for them in the past.
    Share Scriptures that came alive to you when you were praying, and how God's answer came.
    ~ To start off, instead of meeting in Church, gather at designated "Houses" to pray. (Have a sign up sheet.)
    Meet after dinner one night.
    Serve a light snack: coffee, or punch, cookies or a dessert.
    Play some music that touched your heart when you were praying...
    Have everyone introduce themselves.
    Serve snacks and let people mingle a little. Put chairs around the room in a circle. (With one chair left in the center for someone to sit in who needs prayer.) Take turns praying and sitting in the chair for prayer.
    ~ Meet the next month at the Church and tell how God has been answering prayers!
    ~ Cookjoy
    False
    IN GOD WE TRUST!
    Not to ask an obvious question but are newcomers welcome? Are they made to feel welcome? Or are they ignored and let know that they aren't as good as the faithful few. I've had this experience so am very wary of going to a prayer group unless I am going with someone I know.

Pat
    False
    Our church has prayer meetings every week. One of the things that has helped our attendance is that the meeting takes place at the same time and place every week. If people have to call to find the location they may not take the time to figure it all out. They also keep the meeting to prayer. Time is precious and they have found that dragging it out with other things frustrates people. Another thing is to make sure that it is mentioned in the bulletin and newsletter and bulletin often, with the indication that all are welcome.
    False
    I would ask the faithful few to personally invite friends from their Sunday school class or Bible study groups.

Also, it would be great to have people give their testimony about how prayer had helped them or how their prayer time had strengthened their faith and their relationship with God.

Maybe the time is just not convenient for a lot of people? There is a Bible study at my church that starts at 4:00 on Wednesdays and they can't understand why the attendance is so poor! Most people have to work until 5:00!
    False
    Thank you for all your great suggestions! Keep them coming!
    False
    Another thing, my church has prayer meeting every week. Maybe once a month is too infrequent for everyone to remember.

We generally have 20-30 of our congregation who stay (following Sunday night service) to pray. Our Sunday morning attendance is around 120, so I think that's a pretty good number. And on Sunday night following the service, they are already there so it's not another trip to church. Maybe you could consider having it directly before or after some other activity when people are already at the church.
    False
    Great idea Missellie!

We have it midweek.

We are a church of 800 and if 20 show up that is a lot...pretty sad.
    False
    Amen to what Fay said!
    I'm praying our church can start a 24 hour prayer band. I'd love that so much.

The fact is, our churches are prayerless, and that should not be. I know that prayer is hard work.

For inspriation, I suggest you read the book "Fresh Wind, Fresh Fire" by Jim Cymbala. It's about what prayer did in his church. Awesome book!
    False
    Thank you GrandmaK!

We have read Fresh Wind Fresh Fire and Break Through Prayer.

Maybe we need to revisit those books!
    False
    one word: food
    that's how we managed to get a few extras!
    False