Stepped on a toothpick and wondering | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Stepped on a toothpick and wondering

Last post Jun 18, 2007 7:00 PM by beachgirlAZ . 14 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (15 items)
  • Stepped on a toothpick and wondering
    if it needs medical attention from a doctor. It is extremely painful, but I believe I got all of it out of my heel. Can I say it hurts like blazes afire!!!
    It is possible it was made from bamboo and that may be what is causing me this pain. However, I hate to waste a trip and the money to go to the ER, if it is just because I impaled the danged thing so deep.
    Anyone ever had this happen?
    I know with a nail and other objects one should get a tetanus shot, so wonder if I might be wise to do that just to be safe.
    False

• RE: Stepped on a toothpick and wondering
    would NOT go to ER...I might visit Urgent Care...cheaper and quicker...you still could have slivers in the area....and I am sure there are germs of some sort...
    False

It's not how you start, it's how you end....so end strong!!

Walk yourself strong!!

I agree with Shelley. I'd go to Urgent Care just to make sure it's okay.
    False
    Just reading this made me wince and shudders went up my spine!

I stepped on a nail once when I was 12 and yes, into my heel, and the pain is enough to make you want to cry!

I wouldn't go to the ER either, but certainly would have someone look at it. Depending on where it was and how dirty it may have been, AND how deep it went in, I'd be afraid of germs in there that you couldn't get out.
    False
    I sympathize. Impaling your foot on a toothpick sounds very painful.

I stepped on a thorn from an osage orange tree once. It went into the ball of my foot so deep that the doctor could not find it, in fact he was doubtful anything was wrong, and sent me home without treatment.

After limping around for four weeks, the thorn erupted from my foot. I will spare you the gory details.

Thorn was over 3/8" long. I taped it to a card and carried it in my wallet for a long time to remind myself that doctors don't know everything.

Hope your foot feels better soon.
    False
    Saw Whet, that story made my jaw drop! And I sure know that doctors do NOT know everything. Some of them don't even know MUCH!

That sounds absolutely horrible, you poor thing.
    False
    I also agree with Shelley. There are probably slivers of that toothpick in your foot.

I have a staple in my toe that's been there for years. It's never come out, but it doesn't hurt. When I broke my foot my doctor looked at the x-ray and said "what's that?" and I told him, but he didn't take it out. Now it's coming to the surface (it does periodically) but still doesn't hurt.

It's only been there for at least the last 20 years!
    False
    I'll gladly pay you tomorrow for a hamburger today - Wimpy
    Being a insulin dependent diabetic this is the thing they warn about. You would be surprised at how many people have had their feet amputated from yes a "toothpick." Hope you can get it checked soon. Diabetic or not. Take care.
    False
    Sorry to disappoint you, BK.. But, I won't be passing on any time soon.. You on the other hand are already gone!
    Ugh, Saw_whet.. Sounds dreadful. And, of course the "professional medical genius"(you know he claimed to be a nurse and and emt and of yeah, a sow., on the board would challange the doctor's attempts at removing the object.. But, then of course he is sitting behind a computer being judgemental instead of showing off all his prowess as a medical wizzard..@@
    Having had many splinters in my time, I know that eventually they either work their way out on their own or can be encouraged with epsom salts or
    in some cased dug out.
    Pity I can't accommodate the dead wish. *Snicker*
    False

Thanks Purselamplady and Tootie, for your input. I will surely be keeping an eye on it. I wouldn't want to give BK any satisfaction in his death wish.. Classy guy, ain't he???@@
    False

The toothpicks I buy are made from birch trees.

It is amazing how much pain a sliver to the foot causes. Hope you are able to get rid of it and soon!
    False
    Soak your foot in warm, soapy (anti-bacterial) water for 20 minutes several times a day. You might also think about getting a tetanus shot if yours isn't up to date.
    False

Some days, I can literally see the testosterone floating in the air around here. 

Urgent care or just your regular dr. if you can get in. Some things are just a real pain! I would have to think about where that toothpick had been!
    False
     Click for Sun City, Arizona Forecast