Yellow Bumpy Squash - Help | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Yellow Bumpy Squash - Help

Last post Jul 11, 2007 8:17 PM by purseglove_MA_F_67 . 32 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 3 (33 items) 123
  • Yellow Bumpy Squash - Help
    I am not a squash lover but I do like some (little yellow zuke like ones and of course zuke). I bought a zucchini (sp?) plant at wal-mart...should have know better. Their plants are often mis-labled. Anyhow my big beautiful zuke plant is growing yellow bumpy squash! What do I do with them? When do I pick them- or know that they are ripe? Thanks for the help, B-mom
    False
  • RE: Yellow Bumpy Squash - Help
    Do the leaves look like a zucchini plant?

If so, cook them the same way you do any summer squash.
    False

The secret of happiness is not in doing what one likes, but in liking what one has to do. ~Barrie

Math is fun!

Click for Soldotna, Alaska Forecast

Pick them while they are small.
    False

The secret of happiness is not in doing what one likes, but in liking what one has to do. ~Barrie

Math is fun!

Is it the yellow squash with the crooked necks? Those are my favorite. If so, you can use those the same as zucchinis.

I like to fry up a couple slices of diced bacon. Then add in sliced squash, chopped onion, bell pepper, garlic and salt & pepper. Cover and cook on medium heat for 8 minutes stirring once after 4 minutes. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and love it!
    False

Some days, I can literally see the testosterone floating in the air around here. 

Yeah they do have kind of a crooked neck...and it looks just like a zuke plant. It's the bumps that threw me for a loup. Thanks for advice though, I cook some up just I would have had my beloved green zucchini sprouted!
    False
    4boysmom, THANKS I love yellow squash & didn't know of this way to cook them Will try it ASAP.
    False

Aspiring to inspire before I expire! Faith, Family, Friends!

Another way I like summer squash is to roast it.

Chunk it, sprinkle with seasoned salt and olive oil. Cook in a 400º oven for 15 - 20 minutes.

I do asparagus, mushroom, cauliflower, onions, and other vegetables this way too.
    False

Math is fun!

Or on the grill in a "gill wok".
    False

Math is fun!

We had some last summer given to us that had "bumps". Was still good.

Just saw another suggestion for yellow squash. Serve it with sun-dried tomatoes and pesto.
    False

Some days, I can literally see the testosterone floating in the air around here. 

Keep these recipes coming PLEASE.

I cook mine with a little water, seasoning & butter until soft enough to cut with a fork easily. Then I add cooked & drained ground meat.
    False

Aspiring to inspire before I expire! Faith, Family, Friends!

Summer squash,yellow, comes in two varieties a straight neck or the crook necked. Crook necked does have a bummpy appearance many times. Just slice add a little cut up onion and steam. serve with Butter,salt,pepper

Straight neck I will let some of them get a little big before I pick them. These I slice in 1/2 thickness,than use Italian bread crumbs and fry. Very good.
    False
    I slice them and steam them in my vegetable basket.

Serve with a little butter and parmesan cheese sprinkled on top.

False
    DH and I always planted an equal number of zucchini and yellow crookneck plants. They are interchangeable in recipes, but we like the yellow squash a little better.

We like ours sliced, dipped in flour, then egg with a little milk mixed in, then bread crumbs and then fried in bacon grease. (Yeah, I know, not the most healthy way to eat them, but mmmmmmmm mmmmmmm good!)

They are also good sauteed in a little Italian salad dressing. I throw in some squash, peppers, mushrooms, onions - whatever is on hand. Towards the end I add some fresh tomato and parmesan cheese.

And you can grate the yellow squash and use just like you would zucchini for cakes and breads.

False
    To speak of "mere words" is much like speaking of "mere dynamite." --------French Philosopher CJ Ducasse
    I would do what 4boys said but stir in a little olive oil and bow tie pasta.
    False

Rebecca

reminds i need to pick my squash
    False