Whatever happened to the cookies called Golden Fruit Raisin Biscuits? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Whatever happened to the cookies called Golden Fruit Raisin Biscuits?

Last post Dec 07, 2013 5:56 PM by Hogs-n-Quiches . 11 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
  • Whatever happened to the cookies called Golden Fruit Raisin Biscuits?
    They were made by Sunshine Baking Co. They were thin flat cookies with a raisin filling, not real sweet but my kids and I loved them. I think there were 4 in a "sheet" and 3 sheets to a package. Haven't seen them in years, and I guess they're not made anymore.
    False
  • RE: Whatever happened to the cookies called Golden Fruit Raisin Biscuits?
    Looks like they don't make them any longer. I don't remember them. Someone else was on a search for them - you can read what he found at:
    http://groups.google.com/group/rec.food.baking/tree/browse_frm/month/2004-04/fdc395c02508440d?rnum=21&_done=%2Fgroup%2Frec.food.baking%2Fbrowse_frm%2Fmonth%2F2004-04%3F

Search on that page for Sunshine Golden Fruit Raisin Biscuits. He found a substitute!
    False
    Wow, thanks Caroljane, I just ordered a case of 12 packages from British Delights. It cost over $35 but I will divide them among my son, daughter and myself, and I know we will really enjoy the treat. I can hardly wait to see my son's face...he loved them the best!
    Thanks again!
    False
    Glad you decided to try them. Hope they are as good as you remember!
    False
    I still get them here. Perhaps it is a regional thing.
    False
    I remember those things! They were so good! I haven't had them in years.
    False

"Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You."
    Dr. Seuss

I was raised on these cookies and really miss them.  I have made my own with a King Arthur Flour recipe using not only raisins but dried cherries and apricots.

I now live in China and here KHONG GUAN Sultana Biscuits are very similar to Golden Fruit Cookies.  I am not sure if they are imported to the US, but it is worthwhile checking with a Chinese import store.

Jay,

Tianjin, China

False

Vermont Country Store has carried them for years.  Try their catalog site.

False

Vermont Country Store carries Garibaldi  Biscuits which are similar but Sunshine stopped making the other ones years ago.

Jay

False
  • Re: Whatever happened to the cookies called Golden Fruit Raisin Biscuits?

My DH's family was very fond of them.  Several years ago we found some at an outlet bakery store & bought a bunch - we kept some & gave some to his mom & sisters.  Never saw them again.  They are/were a good cookie.

False

i ordered some of those same biscuits from e'bay. they said crawford raisin biscuits. when they came, i was dissapointed, they were not raisin biscuits, they were filled with currants. what a let down.

False

Sunshine made the Golden Fruit Raisin Biscuits for years. Keebler bought Sunshine who kept some products and sold others to Nabisco.  The Golden Fruit were discontinued in the late 1990's.  However there are some others reminiscent such as Crawford Garibaldis (British) which can be found at Vermont Country Store and Amazon.  If there is an Asian market or grocery in your area try the Khong Guan Sultana Biscuits.

Also, King Arthur Flour has a recipe on its website which isn't too far off of the original taste, minus the sugar topping.

Some Scots and Brits call the Raisin Biscuits "Squashed Fly Biscuits" or "Squished Flies."

FYI - Sultanas, raisins and currants are of the same family/closely related.

False