When people know they are dying | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

When people know they are dying

Last post Sep 27, 2007 10:09 AM by zakons . 65 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 5 (66 items) 12345
  • When people know they are dying
    I've heard of things like this before, but have never personally witnessed it. Some of you may remember my friend/co-worker that is dying of cancer. She was my oldest ds's 1st grade teacher and my youngest ds's 2nd grade teacher for half of the year last year.
    Well, she doesn't have much time left and says that she is ready to go. She is in very good spirits and has said that she sees a bright light in the room. She also mentioned seeing someone in the corner of the room that keeps pacing in front of the window. Kind of like a shadow or something. Kind of gives you chills!

I remember my Grandmother would look over in the corner of the room when she was dying, but couldn't talk.

Have any of you witnessed something like this?
    False
  • RE: When people know they are dying
    My BIL's father had alzheimers...for more than a few years, he did not recognize his wife or 8 kids. The hour before he died, he recognized everyone and with grat detail. It was amazing, they got to say all they wanted to, then he passed away.
    False

Rebecca

That reminds me of that movie "The Notebook".
    False
    Interesting!
    This sort of stuff intrigues me.

False
    My aunt who is now 86 years old,....worked for years on the ward with the seriously ill, and was very good at attending the dying (sp?)...she had a very good way with her....and also with the realtions...and she used to say that often the patient in the last minute of their life, would call out for their Mother....and then they would smile and be at peace,apparently it happened so many times.......and also, they would pluck at the blanket or sheet endlessly with their hands...
    False
    Blessings to you and your family as you watch your friend dying. Death comes in many forms and how one will handle death is only told when each person passing on. Death happens in so many ways, that one doesn't know how they truly will deal with it.
    If your friend is saved and will be spending there eternity in heaven and if you are saved. What blessing it will be to know you both will be reunited in heaven one day.

With my occupation in life, I have watched many people die. Death comes in different forms to different people. Here is several things I have had happen to myself or been told by other people.

I have seen an angel lean over a bed of a loved one. I have been nudged or whispered with no one there to do it to go check on the person dying. I have had doors open and shut and know one is there to do it. I have felt a previous family member that is passed on come into the room and you knew it was them by the presence you felt, waiting for the loved one. I have heard foot steps in the room and no one is there. I have been told of an awesome peaceful light in the room. I have been told that they see someone that has passed on in there room. I have also had they cry out they want to go home.
    False
    I have felt a presence walk the hall waiting for them. There is even an odor that sometimes comes in the room when someone is dying. I have been told of a loved one hearing the most awesome music and telling family to be ready to join them. I have been told of seeing Jesus or someone else in the room and a peace comes over them with what ever former pain they were going through is now gone from the peace they have. You sometimes can sense a peace.

I have also been told of a story of a gentlemen dying and all I can say is you can tell the Gates of Hell opened up for him and was coming after him.

I have been around others who have seen things in the room to where others have not. Or where some were blessed to witness what the person dying could describe in peace for them to know what the person is seeing that know one else could see.

Death comes in many forms. But it's amazing that even after someone dies sometimes you can tell what happened.
    I just had a relative that died with a peaceful smile on her face and body. Her family knew from her sudden peaceful smile she was home with the Lord after dealing with really really bad pain from cancer in her body.

I have heard too, undertakers can tell if the person is saved or not by the composure of there body.

False
    Hugs to you as you watch your friend die. If there is anything you wish to get off your chest for her to know. Do it now. Blessing to you all.
    False
    to be quite honest here, for some people the actual moment of death is not so attractive, and they do struggle for every breath.....and they are uneasy....and for some it is a tremendous release..but I would not say that is any reflection on their religious believes...

and some just slip away, quietly...
    False
    OH! I thought of one more thing, I have had this happen. After someone has died you can smell perfume or there presence for a moment after they died. I have also had other family members witness a similar story.

Not everyone can tell or see death. I have twice where I didn't know the person was dying. They just went.
    Each person is different on what some may witness and where some may not.
    False
    When my sister was dying last fall, she had a calm come over her, you could see it in her face. Also, she detached from this life. I can't explain it, but I could feel it. On one of the last days she was somewhat conscious in the hospital, we were talking and I asked her how they changed her bed without her getting up. She said nurses came in and rolled her around a little girl sat on a stool in the corner of the room and watched. I asked her who the little girl was and she got a little angry with me and told me to quit freaking out. So, needless to say, that's all the info I got, but it intrigued me and made me feel that someone was watching out for her and would be there when she went. She also had said that my uncle, who had passed about a month before her, was cleaning up things in her room, like the trash under her bed. There was no trash, but I like to think Uncle Harry was there for her, too. Why him, I'll never know. We loved him, but we were never really close to him as he lived 1000s of miles away and was a very quiet man.
    False
    mirabelle, yes! I know what you are describing. Sometimes three days or less or more or even a week before or right before one dies, some people~~~~~~ get restless or suddenly seem back to normal or suddenly improve then go down hill immediately and pass on.

Again death happens in so many ways. Some it's peaceful some it's not. No one will know how they will handle it until it happens.
    False
    My first husband saw a man in a white suit in his room twice, and once walking down the street (my husband was in a room with the windows covered at the time).
    False
    My Grandmother had been in a rest home for a few months when they called my Aunt and told her that Grandmother was dying. She stopped by to pick up my Mom and the two of them went to see her.

She was lucid and talking to them when all of a sudden she looked up and smiling, cried out my Dad's name, her youngest son who had just passed away a few months before, then she went into a coma and passed away early the next morning.
    False

I've noticed from watching several people die naturally (most recently my mother), that it is a highly individual and private process. I think they are transported into a life state about which mortals know very little, and cannot relate, no matter how what signs or symptoms we may think we observe or meanings we choose to attach. Dying is, imo, one of the deepest and most intense emotional and physical experiences a human ever knows and, in many ways, is too personal and sacred to share.

I consider their statements and discussions of being ready to die and so forth are validation for the living that it is time to let go, and to respectfully let them proceed on their private journey.
    False

"In the end we're all alone ... and no one's coming to save you."  -John Reese