Pros and Cons of adenoid removal | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Pros and Cons of adenoid removal

Last post Oct 03, 2007 8:43 PM by __disneyluvnmama__ . 12 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (13 items)
  • Pros and Cons of adenoid removal
    Can you tell I really don't want to do this?? Ds is supposed to have them removed. I have had to postpone it so many times with work and school. Now the date is set - - - November 15. SO can anyone tell me any pros or cons to the procedure?

I know someone just had this done for their daughter. I am just trying to find reasons not to I think :(
    False
  • RE: Pros and Cons of adenoid removal
    I had to have mine removed when I was about 6. Had many colds, ear infections and so on.
    Then I had to be one of the unfortunate ones where they grew back and had to have them out again.
    They also removed my tonsils. I do how ever remember that I was not so sick anymore and it really helped.
    Cassiebabe
    False

Barbara Anne

My DGS just had his removed this spring. He had to get tubes put in his ears 2 years in a row. This time the dr. decided to remove his adenoids while he had him in surgery. DGS wasn't even aware he'd had them removed! He hasn't had any more problems that have led to hearing loss since then. DD wishes they'd done it sooner.
    False
    My son had his out because of his loud snoring. It didn't help, though. He still snores like a bear. We've even had him tested for sleep apnea.
    False
    Disney, is your son having problems that relate to the adenoids?

I don't know much about it, but do know that when I was about 4-5 I went nearly totally deaf. My mom said she couldn't understand why I wasn't paying attention to anything, would just sing to myself a lot (still do that, lol) ... first she thought I was ignoring her, then she talked to the school teachers about it, they finally tested and learned I was nearly deaf. Mom said that after going to several doctors who couldn't figure it out (one said it was mild retardation), she took me to a good otolaryngologist, he removed my adenoids, my hearing came back immediately, and I was fine after that.

I don't remember any of this, only that the operation was a breeze (even way back then!) ... and I still have the little jar with my adenoids in it, lol.

So what reason does the doc give for removing them?
    False

The snoring is at the top of the list....they've wondered how well he actually sleeps at night.

False

DO NOT REGRET GROWING OLDER.

IT'S A PRIVILEGE DENIED TO MANY.

snoring and breathing in general. I noticed last year when he was at work with me, I could hear him breathing across the room. He is also a little on the smaller size and I had asked the doctor if this (mainly because of the quality of sleep and the lack of it) could be part of the reason.

Anyway, they xrayed and his adenoids are quite enlarged.
    False
    My DD had hers out about 3 years ago along with her tonsils. Before she was sick alot...strep etc. I think she has maybe been sick once since then! She was in 2nd grade at the time, it all went very well. The recovery time didn't seem to bother her a whole lot after she was off the pain meds.
    I had mine out in 4th grade...haven't missed them yet. I say if the drs. are recommending that they be removed your son would probably be much better afterwards! Good luck!
    False
    If they're enlarged, I'd say go with it. Adenoids can harbor infection for a long time until it manifests (tonsils too). It sounds like the docs have been thorough, so it really could be the answer to his problems.
    False

I also wanted to add that when my son came out of surgery (he also had his tonsils out at the same time) he managed to wolf down a turkey sandwich, a big mac and a chocolate shake!! He was starving and he had no trouble eating. They said he would only be able to eat stuff like chicken noodle for a few days after the surgery. No way..he ate like he hadn't ate in years! No pain at all.
    False
    Dis - My DGD was 3 and she couldn't hear nor could we understand her. The Dr. said her tonsils and adenoids were bad and so they were removed. She also had tubes in her ears. She is fine now. If she gets a cold she seems to be able to fight it off sooner. The adenoids are meant to fight off infections and if this isn't happening she needs them remove. Good Luck.
    False
    Both my kids had them taken out and I would do it again in a heartbeat.. did tonsils and adenoids in one shot.

DD had hers done because both the adenoids and tonsils were so large they were occluding her airway. She mouth breathed, didn't sleep properly and because she wasn't getting sufficient oxygen to her noggin she has always tired. She always complained that food didn't taste good either. Interestingly enough she never had a sore throat. Repeated colds: yes. She was 7.
    After she had them done she slept better, concentrated better, quit mouth breathing (so her breath didn't knock over an elephant) and she could taste like she never had before.

DS: had his done when he was 2. Earlier than they normally do them here but he had awful breathing problems, repeated bouts of pneumonia and ear infections. He was just beginning to talk and we had a terrible time understanding anything and he drooled like a dog. He is now 13 and rarely gets a cold, no more ear infections and within days of surgery we could understand everything he was saying. His snoring never went away and he still does that though.

Heather
    False
    interesting . . . the breathing was the main reason for us to get him checked out. They will not take his tonsils too. They said he doesn't need him removed and it is less to heal from.
    False