How do you heat up a smoked turkey to keep it from drying out? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

How do you heat up a smoked turkey to keep it from drying out?

Last post Mar 31, 2004 2:00 PM by goofygrandmaWV . 6 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
  • How do you heat up a smoked turkey to keep it from drying out?
    For Easter dinner I plan on serving smoked turkey since my guests do not eat pork so ham is out and I have never cooked lamb. I wanted to do something other than regular old turkey so I thought I'd get a smoked turkey. But how do I heat it up and make sure that it doesn't dry out?
    False
  • RE: How do you heat up a smoked turkey to keep it from drying out?
    whenever i smoke chicken,i wrap it in saran wrap for the freezer.then when it comes time to heat it up,i pop it in the microwave just like it comes out of the freezer,set the timer for 20 minutes.works for me.bob
    False
    Could it be warmed in chicken broth?
    False
    We let ours thaw completely in the frig. first. Then place in slow oven with a little water and tented in foil to steam it. DH has competed in BBQ competitions for years and this is how we always do his smoked ribs, brisket, turkey and pork butt roast.
    False
    I found this.

Smoked Turkey
    False
    I think the oven rib method would be great for this. Fill the bottom half of your broiler pan half-way with water, place rack on top, put turkey on rack, then cover with foil and seal edges. Heat for 2-3 hours on 300-325 degrees. It makes meat tender and juicy!!

If the turkey is too big for your broiler set, you could use a roasting pan and a rack. Just make sure the water level doesn't touch the turkey.
    False
    I always cook my turkey ahead of time for Thanksgiving. I carve it and place it in a pan and cover with chicken broth. When I need it I thaw it and place in oven on the day I need it. It is never dry and the taste is very good. Saves all the mess you would have if you do it the day of the dinner.

GG
    False