Apple Skiver recipe | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Apple Skiver recipe

Last post Dec 26, 2007 9:29 PM by dreyfuss . 6 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
  • Apple Skiver recipe
    • 2 egg whites
    • 2 cups all-purpose flour
    • 2 teaspoons baking powder
    • 1 tablespoon white sugar
    • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
    • 1/2 teaspoon salt
    • 2 egg yolks
    • 4 tablespoons butter, melted
    • 2 cups buttermilk
    • 1 cup vegetable oil for frying

filling....2-3 tart apples cut and diced fried in in small amount of butter and cooked until stender, add sugar to sweeten and a touch of cinnamon(your basic fried apples..) you can aso add a few raisins if you want...

1. In a clean glass or metal bowl, beat the egg whites with an electric mixer until they can hold a stiff peak. Set aside.
    2. Mix together the flour, baking powder, salt, baking soda, sugar, egg yolks, melted butter and buttermilk at one time and beat until smooth. Gently fold in the egg whites last.
    3. Put about 1tablespoon of vegetable oil in the bottom of each aebleskiver pan cup and heat until hot. Pour in about 1 tablespoon of the batter into each cup 1 tablespoon of filling and another Tablespoon of batter... As soon as they get bubbly around the edge, turn them quickly (Norwegian cooks use a long knitting needle, but a fork will work). Continue cooking, turning the ball to keep it from burning.
    False

Old age ain't no place for sissies . -Bette Davis-
  • Re: Apple Skiver recipe

my sister even has a apple skiver pan...NOT beachgirlaz....our middle sister...

we went on a sister trip to Solvang, Ca several years ago and every dang eatery (big or small) serves them, and they are tasty....so sister bought a pan, cast iron....she says it makes great skivers....lol

this sister is a gourmet cook, now when we were teenagers she cooked horrible....but she has made up for it now...

False

It's not how you start, it's how you end....so end strong!!

Walk yourself strong!!

Shelley, they are sooo good but I just don't make them often usually Christmas.. think it is because the stupid pan I have(was my gr gr grandmas's) must weigh 4 ton!!but oh man there is nothing like hot skivers!!!!

False

I read the recipe and thought this sounded really good!  Then I saw it needed a special pan and I almost started to cry!!!!  Can you use soemthing else?  I'd really like to try them.

False

"Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You."
    Dr. Seuss

Jan a skiver pan really resembles a cast iron egg poaching pan (with the little egs cups?)  I would think maybe you could try them with an egg paoching pan...or just try them without and see what happens...I have only ever had them from the skiver pan..(I laugh that this came over on the Mayflower! it is that old!)

False

google apple skiver pans.......i did..

False

My abelskiver pan has  been sitting on my stove top with my best intentions to make some. Hmmmmm going to the store tomorrow, maybe I should get myself some buttermilk and make a batch.  Your recipe looks interesting but I'm so used to the one I use.

False