Help with a cold that keeps coming back | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Help with a cold that keeps coming back

Last post Jan 21, 2008 10:16 AM by starchild . 7 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
  • Help with a cold that keeps coming back

DH has had a cold off and on since August.  It seems that he just starts to get better and has a few good days and BAM he gets hit again.  We have tried Zicam nasal swabs, Airborne tablets, and No Time For Colds lozenges.  Not helping.  He actually got an ear infection and itcompromised his hearing before he got some antibiotics to clear that up.  We were at Minute Clinic a few weeks ago cuz DS had strep and bronchitis and DH thought he was getting the same thing.  He just had a bad cold and  
    What can we do to get him healthy and keep him healthy?

Gail

False
  • Re: Help with a cold that keeps coming back

You might try a new toothbrush.

False

A few years ago I had the same thing. Repeat colds, sinus infections, etc., that wouldn't clear up at all. I had an MRI done of my sinus' done too. Then, the dr. recommended that I go to an allergy dr. It turns out that I had severe allergies, and the allergies would activate the sinus infection. Once the allergies got treated, the sinus infection/colds went away too.

False

Are you sure it's a cold and not an allergy? You can have adult onset allergies..

False

I'm thinking have him see an ENT doctor. They are best at determining the true problem.

The neti-pot would be a cheap help too and help to keep allergens and mucus out of his nose.

Claritin-D is wonderful, too.

Is there anyone at work that is sick a lot? I would tend to think you'd all have a cold or get several of them from him. I am thinking it must be something sinus related.

False

Rebecca

How active is he?  I know he's been sick so that has probably kept him down. I just read an article recently that suggested exercise and activity had alot to do with a healthy immune system.   I found an article on 10 ways to boost your immune system.  Don't know if it'll help, but can't hurt.

http://naturalmedicine.suite101.com/article.cfm/10_ways_to_boost_immune_health 

True

Online Community / Field Editor Manager

Feel free to reach out to me anytime!

PM me here, find me on Facebook or email me sue.stetzel@RD.com

Proudly serving as a Taste of Home Field Editor since 2009.Big Smile

I was thinking tooth brush too....and using the Neti pot...to clear the sinuses....

http://www.oprah.com/health/oz/oz_20070426_350_106.jhtml

Dr. Oz on Oprah...explaining and demonstrating the Neti pot...My GD age 5 begs to use it when her sinuses are blocked up....allergies.....Works wonders....

False

I grew up hearing "let a cold run it's course". If you tried to stop it, it would keep coming back.

That a cold is nature's way of ridding the body of toxins, or whatever and wasn't really something bad.

Not sure how scientific this is, but it might be true. If someone keeps taking something to stop (check) a cold and not just let it be, until it works itself out at some point, it might keep coming back. And, maybe come back worse.

Seems like this year, and a few years back, I had a cold (old-fashioned kind) that hung on, for around 2 weeks. I did take something (Dayquil) at times, but mainly to stop coughing (cough drops, too) at night.

Maybe the solution is to have a cold and let it be, and get it over with.

False