why are kids today so violent..mean and disrespectful.. | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

why are kids today so violent..mean and disrespectful..

Last post Jan 27, 2008 7:06 PM by flinkydink . 25 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 2 (26 items) 12
  • why are kids today so violent..mean and disrespectful..

my dd was telling me a story about her friend who was picking up her little brother from middle school and this poor kid is constantly picked on..they were walking home..when this other kid who was riding his scooter was going to hit her brother..this girl had to push her brother out of the way..thier's a elementary school next door to the high school and my dd hears the elementary kids cuss and fight and act disrespectful towards the teacher..and she wanted to know why kids today are so mean..

False
  • Re: why are kids today so violent..mean and disrespectful..

Because kids are little people and people are mean?

False

Nature is the 'Great Mysterious' ... the religion before religions. Peter Matthiessen, Indian Country

I know plenty of great young people, but I do know that violence is more of a problem than it was in past generations.  I know kids from previous generations (although there are always some problem kids in every generation) were held to a higher standard. We knew if we acted up, we'd face the music not only at school, but later at home. I think today there are many young people who have been sheltered from consequenses.

I also think parents are busier today than they were in past generations, even stay at home parents. There are more demands today that we feel we must fulfill. So I think with distracted parents and media messages working against what we're trying to instill, kids are more likely to get into trouble. Also the faster pace of life leads to more stress, and many tend to lash out in anger when stressed. It's an angry world out there. And the breakdown of the family has hurt kids.

That being said, I think most young people are pretty great. Two of my grandsons are from a broken family. They have their issues, but with love and work and patience(and a wonderful step-father), they're doing great and are boys their grandma is proud of. 

False
    It's what they see on television, the movies, and video games. On television or in the movies a guy gets shot or beaten and he bleeds, yet the next day he is up and around like it had never happened. Kids have grown up seeing this and think it is no big deal to be shot or beaten. I remember the old Rockford Files television show and he would limp or be bandaged after a beating. It was more realistic than portrayed today. There are also lots of good kids, they just don't get as much press.
    False

I agree that violence on TV, the movies, video games and music videos is all over the place and I'm sure that is a factor.  I just remember when I was a kid - and I'm in my mid 40s - that if we acted up, we'd get our butts spanked or paddled, either by our parents if we were at home or by the principal if we were at school.  We didn't mouth off (much!) and we weren't disrepectful at school.  Then, things turned around and it became a bad thing to discipline your kid. Don't spank. Don't make them feel bad. It's all about boosting the kids ego and making them feel good about themselves. And now there is a generation of kids who don't respect people at all.  I know of many good kids but I also see how mean they are to one another. 

False
    Negativity and cutting people down never does anything except cause hurt.

Miss Ivy

I agree that violence on TV, the movies, video games and music videos is all over the place and I'm sure that is a factor.  I just remember when I was a kid - and I'm in my mid 40s - that if we acted up, we'd get our butts spanked or paddled, either by our parents if we were at home or by the principal if we were at school.  We didn't mouth off (much!) and we weren't disrepectful at school.  Then, things turned around and it became a bad thing to discipline your kid. Don't spank. Don't make them feel bad. It's all about boosting the kids ego and making them feel good about themselves. And now there is a generation of kids who don't respect people at all.  I know of many good kids but I also see how mean they are to one another. 

Do I ever agree with you!  Most of these kids have never had a good swat on their butt,--only time outs in their rooms with 7000 toys to play with.  That doesn't teach them a thing.  And so many kids today think they are entitled to everything!  They don't believe they should have to work for a thing.  I am so glad I am not raising kids today.  I hate their attitude.  And many of them are not pleasant to be around.  They are going to be in for a rude awakening when they get out into the real world. 

False
    1. Click for Rochester, Minnesota Forecast    

Some of them learn it from their parents. I work in a middle school, and you would be shocked at how some of these "adults" behave! Two weeks ago I had one snatch a piece of paper out of my hand; shocked her kid so much he looked at me and raised his eyebrows. Last week had a father throw the door open, point his finger at me and yell at me because I had not done as he demanded and pull his daughter out of class 15 minutes before he arrived to pick her up. I've had parents stand there and lie to my face about why their kids were out the day before, and the kid slip up and tell about going on a trip to an air show (mom said he was sick). This just scrapes the surface.

False

I remember violent, mean and disrespectful kids from my childhood.  Not a lot of them, but a memorable few.  No doubt their offspring are the violent, mean and disrespectful kid of today. And their parents were the same for their generation.

But there is one difference I can think of. In the past, I think, more of the agressive young men went off to war or to explore the wild frontiers, either by choice or to avoid prison.  We don't have wild frontiers now, and our military is less willing to enlist criminals, so there is no place for society to dump those who can't be socialized, and no place where intense agression is a benefit rather than a liability.

False

So what?  Big deal.
    --Closing lines of Buckaroo Banzai Beyond the 8th Dimension, AND of my childhood mix tapes.

Mockingbird, very honestly, if I told you what I think, I would be tarred and feathered so I'll just say "things are not quite like they were back in my days when God was respected first, and everyone else got in line after that.

But Widdle, you are so, so, so wrong about the little children. So wrong. JMHO of course.

False
    The more I know about people, the more I love my dog!

Our post office's parking lot is icy as heck.  I was getting out of my car to go inside, but fell after closing my car door and attempting to walk towards the entrance.  Parked next to my car was a young man (guessing 25 yrs old) who was headed into the P.O. also.  He saw me fall and stepped around me as he continued on his way.  Not one word, no attempt to give me a hand.  Nothing!  I am a grey little woman of 65 yrs.

It was shocking how calloused he was.  No compassion whatsoever.  SHOCKING!

False

I think that this is not confined to young people, there are just as many violent, mean and disrespectful adults of all ages. Young people just imitate what they see in those around them. It is really sad that parents are not the role models that they should be in many cases. The parents of the kid getting picked on needs to take some action. A police report would get someone's attention pretty quickly. Parents need to stand up for their kids, if kids can't count on their parents to protect them, who will?

False

i';ll probably be the one to get jumped on but...i blame the parents, grandparents and the teachers...i know, teachers don't have the authority to punish but the principal does.  i could not wait to retire. i hated school vacation and the days off.  the parents wood come to the sore, they wood go one way and the kids the other...usually at the top of their lungs..pulling things off shelves, openings pkgs of cookies, sticking their fingers in the plastic coverings on the fruit and watermelon, etc., etc., etc.,...then the mother wood have the nerve to want a free balloon when she finally found her child.   a child wants to learn how to behave, they aren't born knowing, it has to be instilled in them...one way or another. i guess i shouldn't have mentioned teachers because they have to put up with a lot, from the kids and from the parents, but some of them do a lot of looking the other way...

False

i just realized, i could have edited and put this in but i meant to say...i think it has to do with all the sugar kids today ingest...you can just see them bouncing off the walls.

False

Because they learn it from adults.

False

It takes a village!  Yep, you heard me.  We are all to blame.   People young and old today, good people like GrannyC and sinners like me, we are ALL to blame.  Not just teachers, or parents, or TV.  The only way this will stop is if We, all of us, admit we have a problem and do something about it.  The whole village is to blame.

False

Nature is the 'Great Mysterious' ... the religion before religions. Peter Matthiessen, Indian Country