If you buy your restaurant (or other) gift cards at Wal-Mart this is a must read! | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

If you buy your restaurant (or other) gift cards at Wal-Mart this is a must read!

Last post Feb 05, 2008 6:00 PM by marasmom . 7 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
  • If you buy your restaurant (or other) gift cards at Wal-Mart this is a must read!

I bought a Chili's and a Subway gift card for my ds & wife for their anniversary.  I purchased it at Wal-Mart although they can also be purchased at grocery stores, drug stores, Home Depot, etc.  Well - my ds & dil received them today.  Both ends of the envelope had been slit open and the gift cards were gone. They were mailed at my Post Office and delivered to their locked mail box at their apartment building.  I guess that kind of limits who could have stolen it.  Anyway - there is nothing that Wal-Mart, Chilis or Subway can do.  They cannot be traced and stopped.  Those gift cards are handled by an outside company.  So I am just out the money.  I will never purchase gift cards in that mannner again!

False
  • Re: If you buy your restaurant (or other) gift cards at Wal-Mart this is a must read!

That is why I won't use a colored envelope when mailing money, checks or gift cards.....I will buy a card and get a white envelope....I learned that years ago, when I sent a nice card, colored envelope with a First Communion gift of money...they got the card , but the money was missing..

It is like a red flag...that it is a gift/birthday/anniversary card...

If I give it in person, then I will use a colored envelope...

Just a tip.....

Also keep your receipt when you buy the gift card...Last year there was a customer service girl arrested at Target  for a gift card scam...Long story...but she got caught big time.....Keep the receipt...

False
  • Re: If you buy your restaurant (or other) gift cards at Wal-Mart this is a must read!

I have the receipt.  Unfortunately - in this case the receipt is of no use.  The outside gift cards evidently are not traceable. (You know where Wal-Mart sells Chilis, Red Lobster, Kohls and gift cards from stores other than Wal-Mart)  And in this case the thief has to be a USPS employee as the card was not in anyone else's possession other than the USPS.

False

I saw something about the gift cards on the news. I forget now what exactly it was, but, they are stealing .  Maybe that is how they are doing it. I was thinking they were getting a number from them .

THanks for the warning! I am sorry about you getting robbed.

False

catmint

Thanks for the info.

False

I hope you filed a claim with the post office. 

False

So what?  Big deal.
    --Closing lines of Buckaroo Banzai Beyond the 8th Dimension, AND of my childhood mix tapes.

I bought several Visa gift cards at WalMart as Christmas gifts this year and I did not know this. 

Fortunately, the cards that I mailed arrived safely.

False

DO NOT REGRET GROWING OLDER.

IT'S A PRIVILEGE DENIED TO MANY.

Something similar happened in our area  and the story was published in the local paper. A man received a Christmas card with an enclosed check from a member of his family. He reported that the envelope was damaged, but since there was a check enclosed he didn't think anything about it at the time until the relative asked him a few weeks after Christmas about the Walmart gift card that was enclosed and he realized it was stolen. It was for $100.  The officer investigating the report remembered a few other reports in the same general area that the guy lives and decided to investigate further. They discovered the card had been used at the local walmart and after reviewing the walmart security video determined that the person who used it was a substitute mail carrier identified by the officer. The carrier was arrested while she was making deliveries and the officers found opened mail in the vehicle. She apparently was regularly going thru the mail and stealing. Last summer there was a carrier arrested in a nearby town that had been storing mail in a rented storage facility instead of delivering it. They found it when an employee of the rental unit opened the door and found bags of mail all around and then called police. I never heard whether they thought he was stealing money or gift cards, his excuse was that he didn't have time to finish his route so he started storing the mail in the rented unit. Apparently the postal service is not too picky about who they hire these days. It used to be that the mail carriers were pretty upstanding citizens.

False