Eggshells in the garbage disposal? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Eggshells in the garbage disposal?

Last post Apr 24, 2011 9:13 PM by retteacher . 30 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 3 (31 items) 123
  • Eggshells in the garbage disposal?

I had a relative lambast me the other day for putting eggshells in my garbage disposal.  She said that "everyone" knew that would break the disposal and that I was just asking for trouble.  I countered with, "Eggshells are so fragile, how can they clog up a disposal?" I know not to put things like bones or fibrous things (corn husks) in the disposal, but egg shells?!

She was adamant that "everyone" knew this, so I let it go but then I decided to google it, and apparently there is quite a debate (who knew?!) about eggshells in the disposal.  It seems to run about 50/50, with the "yes" folks saying that eggshells actually help sharpen the blades and the "no" folks saying that eggshells turn into a gummy, gluey mass that will clog the disposal / drain.

Am I the only rebel who puts eggshells in my garbage disposal?  Has anyone ever even heard that this was a bad idea?  I had never heard this until just recently.

False

• Re: Eggshells in the garbage disposal?

I don't.  I put them in my small compost keeper and use them for my houseplants.  Good fertilizer.

False

Oh no!!!!  I've been putting them down the garbage disposal for at least 30 years now.  I was told it helped clean the blades.  Who knew. Surprise  When I had a veggie garden I put them in there though to add calcium to the soil.

False
    License

I was always told that's a no, no.  I was told by a plumber to dump ice into the garbage disposal to sharpen the blades. 

False

I have a dear friend who's hubby is a plumber.  She, along with my DH have always been more adamant about coffee grounds.  The point being they don't get any smaller than they already are, and therefore could cause a problem. 

When we built and first talked to the guy who put in our septic system...he said eggs shells aren't a good idea...for the same reason as the coffee grounds, but I'm with you that egg shells aren't going to break a disposal, but they might clog the pipes. 

Also, I've heard it's ice that is supposed to sharpen the disposal blades.  (??)

BTW--I've always loved your nickname, MommaDuck, so if you ever leave the board will you bequeath it to me!!!!! LOL

False

DO NOT REGRET GROWING OLDER.

IT'S A PRIVILEGE DENIED TO MANY.

I don't know how they react with the garbage disposal ...

eggshells serve good purpose in the garden, providing important nutrients for plants.  They are also good for the birds (I keep a separate tray feeder just for them), especially in the spring when the birds are nesting.  They need the calcium.

I put them in a ziplock bag in the refrigerator, when a bunch are collected, microwave them for a few seconds to kill bacteria, then crush and add to the garden and houseplant soil, and bird feeders.

Only waste, like small food scraps, goes into the garbage disposal.
    Everything else here is given back to the earth or to the wildlife.

False

Never heard that here and my first thought would have been like you, that the eggshells would tend to sharpent the blades.

I'm a composter here so egg shells are an excellent item for recycling along with coffee grounds, tea bags, tater peelings, etc. Can you tell my disposal blades are good as new? LOL

False
    The more I know about people, the more I love my dog!

Granny_Clampet
    Can you tell my disposal blades are good as new? LOL

LOL, Granny Clampet!  Sometimes I have to throw some lemon peels in mine and run it, just to make sure it still works!

False

I love that idea, Lab--and for sure will do it in the future.  We have so many different types of birds up here than we did where we lived before.  I get such pleasure just watching them & have several feeders out back.

Thanks & the birds will thank you too!

False

DO NOT REGRET GROWING OLDER.

IT'S A PRIVILEGE DENIED TO MANY.

Don't make the same mistake I did and put egg shells in your garbage disposal.  A couple years ago I decided to take deviled eggs to an Easter dinner....a very expensive decision.  I put shells down from 20 eggs and plugged it so tight I had to call the plumber.  He had to take the pipes apart under the sink and it was plugged tight.  Looked like solid cement.  I put them down gradually and ran lots of water but it just didn't work.  I still put down one or two but no more and run tons of water when I do it.  My plumber said egg shells are really a bad thing.

False

Renee, you're welcome, and yes, the birds are appreciative!

I find when I sprinkle them on the garden soil, birds will come and pick at them.  There they usually find a tasty bug to go along with the treat!  Smile

I use a tray feeder, just a flat tray, with little drainage holes drilled around the edges, and a little roof over top to keep the shells dry.  (My dad makes them.)  Birds pick at them all winter (they act as grit also), and in the spring they're lined up at that tray!

Eggshells scattered on the soil around Hostas and other low growing plants also help deter slugs.

False

When my disposal stopped working I got rid of it and replaced it with plain pipe. I seldom used it anyway. Compost is the way to go.

False

Thank you for the info about egg shells.  I had never heard this and have always put them in the disposal.  The only things I do not put down the disposal are banana skins and onion skins.  Now I will not put down the egg shells.

My plumber told me that chicken bones were good for the blades, so I do put them down.  No huge bones tho.

Barb

False

I love the use as slug  repelant they ate my hosta's to the ground.

My DFIL said they could not put eggs shells down the disposal because they did not biodegrade and had to be dumped after processing  at water plant as "toxic waste" 

False
  • -

-

False