Has anyone ever had all of their teeth pulled? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Has anyone ever had all of their teeth pulled?

Last post Nov 12, 2013 6:10 PM by Widdle_NY . 27 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 2 (28 items) 12
  • Has anyone ever had all of their teeth pulled?

I'm having this done next month. Years of medicine left my mouth very dry and my teeth are crumbling. I'm wanting to know how long it took you to feel better. I'm having this done on a Friday and plan on going back to work on Monday.

False
  • Re: Has anyone ever had all of their teeth pulled?

Will you get dentures Jenni? I would think it would take a while to heal. I hope it goes well for you.

False

Rebecca

Not had it done Jenni, but I think you're pushing it.  I hope all goes well for you when you do get it done.  I would think it would depend on how many you need pulled.......I'll be thinking about you, let us know.......Gram  Smile

False
    …….Fear not, for I have redeemed you; I have called you by name; you are mine. Isaiah 43:1b Spring countdown banner

I think everybody reacts different. I had mine pulled 4 and 5 at a time and the last 7 lowers at once. The only thing is I chose to go without my uppers for 3 mo until my gums were healed and had shrunk. FpDid the same with the lowers some years later. I ws lucky I do not have short lips so nobody noticed the difference.

Had a frend who had all her uppers pulled at once and really suffrered by having dentures put in at the same time. Gums were swollen so bad underneth the dnture she ould hardly stand it.. It may not happen with everyone. You dentist should know what is best for you.

Whatever happens, I wish you good luck and hope you get away without too much pain.

False

Jenni.. I have not but my EX did... and he was pretty much down for 4-5 days and then it was still pretty tender for a couple weeks before he got his first dentures

False

Old age ain't no place for sissies . -Bette Davis-
    Yes and it was not a planned thing either. When I had my heart attack and had to have open heart surgery at the same time they pulled all my remaining teeth upper and lower. Had gum disease and the quickest way for infection to the heart was the gums. Woke up to no teeth. Waited three months before I was fitted for my dentures. Not the most pleasant thing to deal with but I just can't see having dentures put in right away. Your gums have not had time for swelling to recede and fit would have to be readjusted probably numerous times.
    False

You did not say whether or not you were having this done in the hospital or the chair..Also top or bottom? Also are you getting your dentures right away? I went into the hospital on a Friday and had all of my top teeth out. Put in the plate immediately. The only problem I had was I was sick from the anesthetic. Was back at work on Monday and NOT tender at all. Had that plate relined 3 months later. That was 14 years ago and I am still wearing the same plate. 2 years ago did the same hospital thing for the bottom BUT I did wait for 3 months as the bottom gums shrink a lot.Got that plate and have never been back. My Hubby sat in the chair and got his done and believe me he was in a LOT more pain with 6 teeth out then I was with 15.  Good luck to you.

False

No, but just want to wish you the best and hope all goes well.  It sound like you need to take Monday even Tuesday off.  {{{Jenni}}}

False

Hi Jenni!  I had to have all upper teeth pulled and most of my bottom.  The teeth were fine but the gums were bad.   Jenni, I just want to make sure that you absolutely NEED to have this done.  Because my gums were so bad I have not been able to find a decent fitting pair of dentures.   Are you doing this because you want to have it done or is someone else 'suggesting' you have this done?  I hope this is your decision and your decision only.

Your mouth is going to be sore and probably swollen for a few days.   I'm pretty sure you will not be able to go to work in 2 days, but everyone is different.  I took a week off work when I had mine done.  Even if you do feel better it's going to take a while for you to adjust to wearing the dentures and most of the time the dentist has to make adjustments because sometimes the dentures can cause sores in the mouth.

More power to you if you can go back to work in 2 days, but if it's possible it would probably be better for you to take a few more days off so you can rest and heal and get used to the dentures. 

Good luck, Jenni!  I hope when this is over you feel 100% better. 

False

Nature is the 'Great Mysterious' ... the religion before religions. Peter Matthiessen, Indian Country

Jenni,

I had all my teeth pulled in the hospital except for the 4 front top ones.  I went for about 3 months without dentures so I could heal.  This was many years ago and maybe they do it differantly now days but if I were you I would take a few more days off if you could.  The dentish really gave me "heck" when I went back to get the dentures cause by then I had on maternity clothes.  He said I should have told him I was pg but I didn't know at the time.

Thebest to you whatever you decide to do.

Beth

False

I had all of my remaining top teeth (12) pulled out at the same time.  It was in the dentist's office but considered surjury.  When I came to, I already had my uppers in.  This was 10 years ago, and I am still wearing the same plate.  He told me to leave them in for 24 hours and then take them out for cleaning, and put them immediately back in.  He said if I didn't, my mouth would swell so much I wouldn't be able to get them back in.  Keeping them in limits the amount of swelling.  About 5 months later I had them relined.  I plan on keeping my bottom teeth as long as I can.  I'm 69.  My uppers have very good suction, and still fit good after 10 years.

I only took one day off from work, as I had it done on a holiday weekend.  I just had to eat soft food for a while.

Margaret

False

If your spirit is grateful and humble / your tongue won't constantly grumble.

Sorry to hear this Jenni. I am about to the point you are at. I just want the back ones pulled though. Those are the ones I have the problem with. LIke you said, the meds dry your mouth out so much that it messes with your teeth. Good luck. I hope all goes well with it.

(((Jenni)))

Take care,

Annette

False

Thanks for all your great responses. I need to have this done. I am already missing 6 teeth and several are broken. I will have a temporary denture and I'll get it the same day. The dentist said he'd be very gentle since I have Fibromyalgia and TMJ. I might put in for Monday off too. I can always go in if I don't need the time. 

I'll have a full plate on the top and he's leaving 6 teeth (3 on each side) on the bottom for a partial. He said that a partial is always the better choice on the bottom. I'll have it done in the chair. He'll prescribe Valium for me to take before I go. Bubba has to take me and drive me home.

My teeth have been so bad for so long I am really looking forward to being able to chew without a lot of pain and without having to dig food out of all the empty spaces.  

False

You poor thing!   :(
    False

My dad had the same problem.  I agree with Mapanda.  Dad didn't leave his dentures in like he was supposed to and they hardened, causing him all sorts of problems.  As for going back to work, it's hard to say.  Some folks tolerate pain better than others.  I had all my wisdom teeth pulled in the chair (gas and novocaine only) and was back at work the next day.

Good luck!  I'm sure you'll feel lots better once it's all over.  And I'm sure your smile will show it.  Smile

False
    "...good things come to those who wait. True, but unless you're making a souffle or catching the bus, better things come to those who do something."--Amy Alkon demotivational posters
    see more