I just ordered my 10 lb Honey Glazed Spiral Ham, need 2 side dish ideas ? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

I just ordered my 10 lb Honey Glazed Spiral Ham, need 2 side dish ideas ?

Last post Apr 18, 2011 12:28 PM by sway . 34 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 3 (35 items) 123
  • I just ordered my 10 lb Honey Glazed Spiral Ham, need 2 side dish ideas ?

There is a place near here that cooks and does the glazed spiral ham just like the famous Honey Hill but much cheaper.  They only do so many for Nob Hill Grocery store so you have to order real early.  They charge $40 and it comes with the spiral rack to set it up in and serve.

I called Honey Hill out of curiosity and they wanted $55.00.  I'am looking for a couple of nice dishes to go along with it.  Do not want to fix scallop potatoes.  What would you serve ?

Cassiebabe

False

Barbara Anne

• Re: I just ordered my 10 lb Honey Glazed Spiral Ham, need 2 side dish ideas ?

I always serve egg casserole. Just take boiled eggs and cut in half, place face down in casserole sprayed with PAM. Then pour a jar of alfredo sauce (can use Ragu light alfredo), then sprinkle with parmesan, pepper, paprika and a dash of nutneg. Bake until hot and bubbly. Delicious!

Anonther idea would be baked beans, cornbread salad, or escallpped pineappl (pineapple casserole), or some sweet potato casserole.

False

Rebecca

Hi Rebecca,

The sweet potato cassarole sounds yummy.  Do you by chance have a receipe for this ?  I bet Jellybean would like it also.

Cassiebabe

False

Barbara Anne

Funeral potatoes are good and not nearly as much work as scalloped. 

False

Some days, I can literally see the testosterone floating in the air around here. 

Hi there!

sounds good to me...I would serve 7 layer salad and the party potatoe casserole, asparagus and of course some good rolls...that's 3 sides and rolls but all go so well with ham and could be make in advance.

Molly 

False

Ok,  I gotta ask.  What are the party potatos and funeral potatos ? 

Cassiebabe

False

Barbara Anne

CB ~ I got this recipe over on the recipes board but I have not made it, I LOVE sweet potato casserole but I always ask others to make it, lol.

DD's step-mom makes one with marshmallows that has some kind of caramel layer underneath, it was yummy!

Anyway, here you go...

Best Ever Sweet Potato Casserole Ever

This recipe has pretty much spoiled me for other sweet potato casseroles. I've tried the ones with marshmallows in them and they just aren't as good. I've also experimented with orange juice, but haven’t' found one I like as well.

3 cups mashed, cooked sweet potatoes (if you're like me and don't want to boil fresh, get one large can. The big one and one normal sized can and that will equal approximately three cups mashed)
    1 cup sugar
    1/2 cup melted butter
    2 eggs, well beaten
    1 tsp vanilla
    1/3 cup milk
    1/4 tsp nutmeg
    1/4 tsp cinnamon

Combine all ingredients and spoon into casserole. Cover with topping:

Topping:
    2 cups Rice Krispies
    1 cup chopped pecans
    1 cup brown sugar
    1 stick butter, melted

Mix all ingredients and spoon over casserole.

Bake casserole 30 min at 400 degrees. Topping will be browned.

False

Rebecca

Honey Ham reminds me of Christmas..  But I will eat Ham anytime of the year.  I LOVE Honey Baked Ham...  Some people don't eat Ham at all although they are not vegetarian.

False

Funeral Potatoes 

2 lbs hash browns
    1/2 cup butter
    2 cans cream of chicken soup
    1 pint sour cream
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1 medium chopped onion, cooked with (or 3/4 cup)

butter
    2 cups grated longhorn cheese, firmly packed

crushed corn flakes
    4 tablespoons butter, melted
    1. Mix all ingredients, except cornflakes and butter, together.
    2. Put in a 9x13 inch pan.
    3. Sprinkle cornflakes and butter on top.
    4. Bake at 350 degrees F for 40-50 minutes.
    False

Some days, I can literally see the testosterone floating in the air around here. 

We always have cheesy potatoes made with the shredded frozen hashbrowns, and a green veggie, usually brocolli, or maybe greenbeans.  Sometimes also a tossed salad.  We don't care for the spiral cut.  Just get a big ham and then there are plenty of left overs for DD and her family and DH and I.  I'm hungry for ham now!

False
    1. Click for Rochester, Minnesota Forecast    

I think that sweet potato casserole would be good.

If you want two sides that are completely do-ahead, how about potato salad and fruit salad. Each would do a nice job balancing out the saltiness of the ham.

False

Easter dinner is always the funeral potatoes(only I used cream of mushroom and sliced raw potatoes....) and fresh asparagas....with the ham! no need for anything else!

False

Old age ain't no place for sissies . -Bette Davis-

Potato casserole

2 lg bags of frozen hashbrowns (completely thawed)

1lg container of heavy whipping cream

1 sm container of heavy whipping cream

salt/ pepper/ onion powder

layer potatos, salt, pepper and onion powder (or onions) to taste in 9 x 13 pan. Once potatos are used up pour heavy whipping cream in. Cover and put in fridge until the next morning. Stir well. Pull out and let sit on counter till almost room temp. Stir again. Preheat oven to *425 and uncover. Cook for about 1 1/2 hours.

My kids just love this and call them Christmas potatos. They would be depressed if I had ham without the potatos. lol  So, we have Christmas potatos for Easter!

False
    BLESSED ARE THE <CRACKED> “Life: Imagine the Potential” FOR THEY ARE THE ONES WHO LET IN THE LIGHT!!

My baked mac n cheese and baked beans. Ive been thinking I'll make a turkey forEaster,but I might change my mind and bake a ham.

False

I'd go with asparagus for sure.

I didn't know Snob Hill did those hams...I'll keep that in mind.

False
    "...good things come to those who wait. True, but unless you're making a souffle or catching the bus, better things come to those who do something."--Amy Alkon demotivational posters
    see more