Do you like the Cumberland Gap ham at Krogers? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Do you like the Cumberland Gap ham at Krogers?

Last post Apr 05, 2011 3:21 PM by coacheswife . 16 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 2 (17 items) 12
  • Do you like the Cumberland Gap ham at Krogers?

I was at Krogers yesterday, looking at the hams. I usually just get the Superior Tavern 1/4 ham. But, it is so expensive, this is about the same price for a whole ham.

A lady was there picking out one, and said the Cumberland was really good, and not salty. Seems like the Superior has been a bit salty last few times I have gotten it.

I think I'll pick up a Cumberland tomorrow, unless I get bad reviews before I leaver early tomorrow?

TIA

False

catmint

• Re: Do you like the Cumberland Gap ham at Krogers?

I picked up a Cook's brand spiral-sliced ham at $1.58 a pound.   It's just a half but will make do for us on Sunday.

False

Some days, I can literally see the testosterone floating in the air around here. 

I have bought the Cumberland Gap brand ham slices many times and they are good.Just enough for a meal without having to serve it again and again to get rid of it.They are prepackaged though so that could be  different from  a whole ham. We don't eat a lot of ham (mostly because most of it is so salty). I usually buy a small ham at Christmas and freeze what we don't  eat right away.

False

i think cumberland gap is good, but i was wanting a whole ham this year so i bought a smithfield........i will see if i like it any better..

False

my blog! www.jillshomecooking.blogspot.com

Been a big fan of TOH since I was a young teenager!!! I was sooooo excited to be asked to become a Volunteer Field Editor in June 2013!!

I have bought Cumperland Gap hams many times and think they are very good.  This year I did buy a Kretschmar because I love them and got it for a good price.  I don't think you will be disappointed if you get a Cumberland Gap, though.

Sue

False

What???? You guys didn't buy the Martha Stewart ham at Costco????   It even comes in it's own little cloth bag with the Martha stewart emblem on it!!

I really did intend to buy one if I could, but alas, we didn't have that much money to devote to one part of the meal.  IT was about twice the price of the regular kirkland brand spiral hams.... 

False

I have made several Cumberland Gap hams, never had a bad one!!!  In fact, have gotten many a compliment on that fact that they aren't "salty". 

My fav way to make one is score it, "toothpick" a few pineapple slices on top and pour a can of Vernor's over the ham.   If it's in the oven, I will baste it a few times while cooking.  But if DH "grills" it on the Weber kettle grill...LOL...NO OPENING THE LID!!!!  I just let it "indirect grill" over the drip pan.  Very tasty!!!

Geeked

False

What is Vernor's

False

Vernor's is very gingery ginger ale!  It's not pale like Canada Dry - it's kind of vinegar colored.  It would go great on a ham!

Catmint, I used to buy Cumberland Gap ham at the grocery store deli, sliced for sandwiches.  Heinen's (local Cleveland grocery chain) doesn't carry it any more but it was really  good and not real salty like some ham.  IIRC, it was very lean. 

False

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Ben Franklin

Thanks everyone. Boy! Am I glad all was good reviews, because i didn't have time to get back yesterday morning here, and went ahead and got one.

This is a whole ham, for .99 a lb. I only paid little over 13.00 for it. I would have had to pay 8 or 9 dollars for the 1/4 size of Superior, and like I said, it has been a bit too salty last few times.

If I can remember to get the Vernors, I'll try that recipe! And the pineapples.

I usualy bake mine overnight on really low temp.

False

catmint

I love the Cumberland Gap Ham , no preservatives, no liquid smoke, NOT SALTY. Thanks to the McGregor family for preparing their hams the "old fashioned way". In the past 4 years and for future years I will stick to this brand purchase, as long as they are selling them.. 

False

Catmint - I got my ham at Kroger this year but can't remember the brand. It was spiral sliced and  not sliced thoroughly,  which was disappointing. I've had many better hams but Walmart was out. I usually get the Sam's choice at Sam's or Walmart, but for ham slices during the year, we like Cook's.

Oh, and I like salty ham. YUM!

As for the Vernor's, I love the diet version, have only seen the Vernor's at Kroger. Sometimes they run a good sale and I stock up. It is good when you don't feel so good.

False

Rebecca

Rebecca, I'll bet you got a John Morell.  I like them.  They're about medium salty--just enough to really add nice flavor to the ham.  But the spiral sliced hams are neve fully sliced.  I don't mind that too much, because I just dice and freeze the rather sizable tip and make soup stock with the bone.
    False

I just bought a Cumberland Gap ham too. Have had them before and like them very much. I also do the scoring andpineapple, but I poke some cloves in it and hang the marischino cherries on them. Vernors is a good one to use as stated but I remember my father using 7UP mixed with orange juice, brown sugar and alittle brown mustard. That was good. It makes for a pretty ham and a tasty one too.

"Happy Easter to Everyone" Smile

False

Yes I love cumberland gap hams! With Easter coming I look for tyhe m on sale do you have any coupons?

False