I can't imagine having to have a hysterectomy at 27 years old. | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

I can't imagine having to have a hysterectomy at 27 years old.

Last post Apr 01, 2014 9:04 AM by 0at123 . 37 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 3 (38 items) 123
  • I can't imagine having to have a hysterectomy at 27 years old.

They have women on the Today show that has had them. One is only 27 years old.  Hers was a partial, though. She has had 4 kids. I mean, I don't miss the pain and aggravation, but, it has changed my life drastically. I wish I hadn't had to do it, really. Things are too different. Depressingly different. Just saying.... It wasn't all the roses that women has said it has been for them.

False

catmint

• Re: I can't imagine having to have a hysterectomy at 27 years old.

It doesn't sound pleasant, but it sure would have saved me a lot of cash.  Once I had my tubes tied, it was like a great relief--one less thing to worry about, KWIM?

False
    "...good things come to those who wait. True, but unless you're making a souffle or catching the bus, better things come to those who do something."--Amy Alkon demotivational posters
    see more

I had my tubes tied after my last one, too, and loved it. But, a hysterectomy brings on too many side affects for me. Embarrassed

False

catmint

I spent over ten years begging doctors to tie my tubes--when I was 32 I finally found one to do it.  I guess they finally figured out I was old enough to know what I wanted.  The downside was pumping myself full of chemicals for all those years.

False
    "...good things come to those who wait. True, but unless you're making a souffle or catching the bus, better things come to those who do something."--Amy Alkon demotivational posters
    see more

i had a hysterecomy at 30. IF i'd been offered the option when i was 27, i would of taken it in a heartbeat. fortunately for my two sons, it wasn't offered. i had major menstural problems from day one. i never learned to handle it. was on the pill for many years.  somehow i did get pregnant 3 times. first son lived to be 13 months old. 2nd is 26 and healthy and i miscarried right after he was born.  i had and incomplete misscarriage and they were going to do a D and C.  i was having major back problems which i thought was caused by my "problems" becuz i'd had some back problems before. i begged and got my hysterecomy. still have my ovaries. i have NEVER regretted it.  it's such a relief to be able to live life without having to worry if i'd start when i least need to or to have to buy hospital sized napkins all the time. that's how bad it was. unfortunately, my back problems only got worse BUT i can deal with it. if i had to deal with both, then i'm not sure i'd still be here. i'm 56 and never regretted it. it didn't make me feel less like a woman. just my experience. 

sandee

False

I had mine at 37 and best thing I ever did.  No side effects other than the obvious good ones.

False

The secret of happiness is not in doing what one likes, but in liking what one has to do. ~Barrie

Math is fun!

Click for Soldotna, Alaska Forecast

Catmint, I'm older than you, and had my surgery probably after menopause (even though I wasn't even sure I had been through menopause, lol).......but for me, a hysterectomy isn't the great thing some women say it is, but I'm glad they do/did have wonderful results.  For me, I guess I had no choice.  It was a must.  I was bleeding to death, no kidding.

I also believe it takes a doctor who really cares what is and will happen to his patient once a surgery has been performed....also a doctor who is in the know on other treatments. I was reading somewhere that now there are quite a few different ways to treat a woman other than a hysterectomy.  Now with me, even the surgery was terrible, and I'm still not completely recovered from that...my incision was so large and I now have nerve damage from that. 

I didn't watch the Today Show so don't know the circumstances of the woman so I can't comment.....but as you said......I also had my tubes tied years and years ago....and having that done and a hyterectomy is a completely different thing......wayyyy different.

Barbara 

False

Have to agree with AP, having a hysterectomy was a good decision.  I didn't realize how badly I felt until after I had the surgery.  Felt so much better.  I was 50 when I had the surgery and it really wasn't a bad surgery. 

False

Well, I am happy for both of you. But, in my case, if Tom Selleck came to my door right now, I wouldn't even swoon. . I don't regret not having to worry about bleeding to death, like I almost did. I know it was necessary to live. I think they almost lost me this last time. But, Oh, Well, I need to make an appt. with my Doctor and talk it all over with her.

Washington, I had my tubes tied after my DD, and i was, let me add it up,,,, i guess 26 years old.

False

catmint

Barbara, the lady on the show had to have it because of heavy bleeding. It was necessary. I just feel for her. I guess I am just not one of the lucky ones. My sister has had no problems. Best thing ever, she says. But, I think she is on HRT, and I'm not.

My surgery was a piece of cake. The bladder tuck was a bit different, though. I think I had a worse time with it. I think my pain i still have might be from that. If i lift too much. Which, for me, is impossible not to lift. They might as well bury me now if they make me quit lifting. LOL

False

catmint

I only had problems because I didn't have any kids and had a whole slew of doctors say "you'll change your mind."  Uh, yeah, right.

False
    see more

Oh, i see. Yes, they seem to think they know more than you do at times.

False

catmint

Yes, Catmint...that is a good idea to talk to your doctor.

I have yet been talked to about what would happen to me after the surgery....what to expect.  

These days it is even hard to get your doctor to take time to discuss anything, so I'm just thankful when he went in there was no cancer, and I just take everything in stride.  I have so many other health problems, I can't separate them into what is what, lol.

Barbara 

False

I had a hysterectomy when I was 27.  I've had no bad side effects or problems, and compared to living with endometriosis...it's wonderful and I would do it again in a heartbeat.

False
    For in the final analysis, our most basic common link, is that we all inhabit this small planet, we all breathe the same air, we all cherish our children's futures, and we are all mortal. - John F. Kennedy Click for Manassas, Virginia Forecast

I was 35....and mine was total.....and can not use HRT...so it wasn't to fun....

but partial sounds like her ovaries are still there.....and that is what she needs for future stuff.....

but if it saves your life then I think the choice is the only one to make.... 

False

It's not how you start, it's how you end....so end strong!!

Walk yourself strong!!