Woodpecker nuisance- help! | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Woodpecker nuisance- help!

Last post Apr 02, 2008 10:28 AM by Lady Fingers . 19 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 2 (20 items) 12
  • Woodpecker nuisance- help!

How do we get rid of a wood pecker type bird that pecks on our gutters at all times of day from before dawn to later in the day?

False
  • Re: Woodpecker nuisance- help!

A friend of ours put a rubber snake in the gutter trying to get birds to stay away from her house.  I don't know if it worked or not.  The hammering of a woodpecker on your house would be noisy.

False

I realized several years ago that Woodpeckers can indeed be a very big nuisance!  Our son had a blue bird trail and a Woodpecker they names Helen the Woodpecker from He!! ruined every single bird house by pecking the hole and make the hole larger!  One day Helen meet with a dreadful accidental deatg... she flew into their car and committed suicide!  She was never really missed!

Good luck!

Molly

False

I'm not sure there is much that can be done. It is probably a male attracting a female with his loud drumming. Find him an attractive female and I'm sure he'll stop...LOL!

False

Every day I’m shufflin’

I wonder if several rubber snakes put at strategic places on the roof would help? Orisleuth, I hope he finds his mate soon.  They are building houses just down the lane from us, and sometimes I wonder if he is trying to compete with the hammering that is going on down the street.

False

kaye12000or
    I wonder if he is trying to compete with the hammering that is going on down the street.

ROFL...he probably is...he's not gonna let those other woodpeckers get the good mate....he's gonna bang the loudest.

False

Every day I’m shufflin’

No, there is nothing you can do. Sadly.

False

"She was not what you would call refined. She was not quite what you would call unrefined. She was the kind of person that keeps a parrot."

Mark Twain

He is trying to find a mate...showing the ladies what a great pecker he is!  Last year we had one that would tap tap tap on the metal top of our chiminey!  Scared my poor little guy to death!  He finally quit about June.

True

Online Community / Field Editor Manager

Feel free to reach out to me anytime!

PM me here, find me on Facebook or email me sue.stetzel@RD.com

Proudly serving as a Taste of Home Field Editor since 2009.Big Smile

Growing up we had a woodpecker that woke the neighborhood every morning by pecking on the cross atop the steeple at our church. If they ever remove that cross I want it. It will be covered with holes.

I had one Sunday that decided that my window A/C was a great place to peck his brains out, I finally kept hitting the A/C unit from inside and he left. I have a family of woodpeckers that live in the trees next to my house, they have put holes in most of the trees around here.

False
    Laura

We have a woodpecker that has shown up in the Spring on the side of our house for years now.  DS#1 wanted to shoot it with a BB gun the first year as it's pecking right outside his window.  But it seems that bird was a bit too smart for any old BB gun (or its user) and has managed to fly off at just the perfect time.

False

Some days, I can literally see the testosterone floating in the air around here. 

DevilWell, Dollar tree has rubber snakes.  I think I may go and get a few of those to leave around and see if that scares the bugger off!

False

One of them decided that his picture in our windows was eiter a female or a rival, he flew frokm one window to another: peck, peck, peck, all day long. I thought for sure he was going to starve to death beccause it seemed he was there all day driving us nuts. IT lastet for 2 month and then he finally disappeared. Maybe he did starve or shook his what little pea brain he had to pieces and died of an aneurism.

False

lol at gr elo.

False

Aren't woodpeckers afraid of hawks or owls?

ViolaB 

False

kaye12000or

DevilWell, Dollar tree has rubber snakes.  I think I may go and get a few of those to leave around and see if that scares the bugger off!

I would forget where I left them & scare myself!

True

Online Community / Field Editor Manager

Feel free to reach out to me anytime!

PM me here, find me on Facebook or email me sue.stetzel@RD.com

Proudly serving as a Taste of Home Field Editor since 2009.Big Smile