Cider vinegar vs. white vinegar... | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Cider vinegar vs. white vinegar...

Last post Dec 19, 2012 7:25 PM by merd33 . 7 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
  • Cider vinegar vs. white vinegar...

Is there a difference aside from the color? 

False

• Re: Cider vinegar vs. white vinegar...

Maw, I think white vinegar is made from grain, while cider vinegar is made from, well, apple cider.  I guess it depends on what you're gonna do with it. 

False

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Ben Franklin

Dog  I only use the cider vinegar.  My DD has celiacs & cannot have the white vinegar as it is made from grains.  I use it for salad dressings, potato salad, ect. (even have a pie crust recipe that calls for vinegar)  I haven't noticed the diff.             Suzie

False

Aha! Thanx Deb! I'm making a "home remedy" for my furbabies...so I'm guessing cider vinegar would be the way to go!

False

And the absolute joy of apple cider vinegar is....

if you have some apple cider or juice that's starting to go off, just pour some apple cider vinegar into it, cover it, and put it away. My grandmother kept a crock under her sink, of vinegar, that was always apple cider vinegar and it was always a LOT higher acidic value than the 5% we get at the store! Man, was it ever GOOD! I think she used it for cleaning, too, as the house always had this delightful appley-vinegarry smell to it!

acetic?...whatever

ViolaB 

False

Idea  I am sure I remember also from when I used to do a lot of canning (pickling) years ago that you need to use the vinegar that is higher in acid.  I think white vinegar is.

False

I believe I have this right.......Cider Vinegar has an underlying taste of fruit to it.  It is used in foods far more often than white vinegar.  White vinegar has a harshness to it.  It is used in pickling, however.  White vinegar is an excellent household cleaner.

False

can i test  baking soda with apple cider vinegar or does it have to  be white vinegar

False