Sluggish gallbladder? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Sluggish gallbladder?

Last post May 10, 2008 1:40 AM by telephonegirl_52_f_tx . 9 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
  • Sluggish gallbladder?

My DH has been having pain in his right side off and on for months and finally broke down and went to his GI doctor.  Friday he had an ultrasound of his right side and a colonoscopy.  Tomorrow he is scheduled for a small bowel follow thru.  The doctor's nurse called this morning to remind him of the test scheduled for tomorrow and to see if he had questions about the procedure.  He asked for a report on the ultrasound and she said the liver, pancreous, and right kidney checked out OK but his gallbladder is sluggish.  She said the doctor will talk to him after they get the report on the small bowel tests and discuss the plan of treatment.

What is the treatment for a sluggish gallbladder, or is surgery the only option?

False
  • Re: Sluggish gallbladder?

husband will be having his gallbladder out soon.....it ain't working, causing the bile duct to not work either.....and the surgery is so easy now.....they suck it out with tiny bitty holes.....out patient surgery.....he is looking forward to his surgery...as he is in pain and doesn't want to eat much as he knows it's gonna hurt.....so he's losing weight......

they did so many tests on the man....finally the hida nuclear scan found the problem....they said he should have the colonoscopy too...but he said not right now...and then he had hernia surgery so it was a no go.....

hope it's just the gallbladder...and he gets the help he needs...... 

False

It's not how you start, it's how you end....so end strong!!

Walk yourself strong!!

Shelley's right.  I had a so-called sluggish gallbladder and had it taken out last November.  I'd been sick for 8 weeks with right-sided pain under my rib cage.  

The first thing that your DH should ask for is a gallbladder scan.  If it comes back with elevated numbers, that's an indication that it's gallbladder disease.  You don't normally have gallstones with a sludgy gallbladder, just general right-sided absominal pain and serious problems eating certain foods, like spicy stuff and fatty foods.  They both just about killed me with indigestion.

Far as I know surgery is about the only option.  I feel fine now. 

False
    I'll gladly pay you tomorrow for a hamburger today - Wimpy

Thanks for the info - I'll tell DH to ask the dr about this hida scan.

False

My sluggish gallbaldder has been giving me problems lately.  Must be sympathy pains for BIL...anyway, I have to avoid fats and maybe my beloved coffee!!!  I used to work for a wonderful Chiropractor who would do some magic on my gallbladder when it was cranky.  Now he is 300 miles away.  When we get home from a trip we are taking, I need to find myself a Dr. and have it checked out.  I am taking hormone replacement medication and one of the side effects can be gallbladder disease...something else I may have to consider.  Have your husband get that scan Shelley wrote about.  This is typically a female disease with a criteria of the 4 F's.  Female, Fair, Forty and Fat.  Unkind I know, but not my choice of terminology.  Anyway, I think males can be overlooked for this (I think my BIL was) because of the 4 Fs.  Same with skinny chicks who are not in that group.  Hope he gets the care he needs and soon!

False
     Click for Sun City, Arizona Forecast

DH is scheduled for the HIDA scan on Tuesday.  Hopefully his problem will be found with this scan -  can anyone tell me what to expect with this test?  DH said the doctor said they will put a dye in his veins and watch it go thru the gallbladder area and it could take as long as 2 hours. 

False

Mine was also similar in diagnoses but then it got bad and OUT it came!

False

when dh had so much trouble, he had gallbladder attacks for almost a year before they took his out. he had a hida scan but they were only able to do the first part, the technician said it was a good thing because if they'd have been able to do the 2nd part of the test, he'd have had a really bad gallbladder attack and they weren't fun. he was in so much pain for that year.

False
    Live in such a way that those who know you but don't know God, will come to know God because they know you. Click for Ankeny, Iowa Forecast[IMG] Photobucket
    Christian Glitter by www.christianglitter.com

The 4 F's don't always apply!  I was 26 & skinny when I had to have mine removed.  This was one year before they came out with the laser technique.  I have a six inch scar across my abdomen.  When the doc tells you that there is sludge in your gall baldder it needs to be removed.  If infection sets in, you could die from it.  We had a patient that died because she refused to let the doc remove her gall bladder.  It was a horrible death...

False

I had mine out in 73 before all these test and stuff they do now. My scar is about 8 inches and it was 3 weeks after my daughter was born when I had it. Was sick the whole time I was pg with her, most of the time in horrible pain. Just thought it was because I was having a baby. I was skinny had only gained 25 lbs with her and she was 10lbs so not always because you are fat.

My dad had his out with only 1 attack and it was ganegreen, but when he had his appendix out it was the same. But men don't always have the same problems women have with it.

False
    Laura