Have you ever frozen onions? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Have you ever frozen onions?

Last post May 26, 2008 8:29 PM by ReneeC___NCalif . 6 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
  • Have you ever frozen onions?

I have seen them for sale in the grocery store, but have never frozen them myself. I sliced up WAY too many onions for the Band BBQ this weekend and thought I could freeze them for soups later on. Has anyone ever had any success doing this?

False
  • Re: Have you ever frozen onions?

Yes, it's okay if you're going to use them for soups and stews. You might want to freeze them on a cookie sheet for a bit and them put them into ziploc bags in portions you can use later. Not the same as fresh, but better than tossing them out.

False

They freeze well as long as you are going to cook them in something.  Don't do well if you want to use them raw.

False

Thanks you, I thought of using the cookie sheet, I do that with my shredded cheese. I as not sure if they would get REALLy mushy. lol I sliced up about 5 pounds and they used very little of them.

False

I freeze chopped onions all the time and use them in soups, stews, fry them with potato and peppers, eggs for breakfast.  Used to buy frozen onions when I was working long hrs and didn't have much time to cook...Toni

False
    If the essence of my being has caused a smile to have appeared upon your face or a touch of joy within your heart, then in living I have made my mark.

When I can catch the sweet onions on sale  this time of year I buy a lot of them and dice them and freeze them. they work real well with fried potato's , in meat loaf and of course soups and stews as someone else said.

diced up green peppers freeze well also

False
    Death leaves a heartache no one can heal Love leaves precious Memories no one can steal God Bless our Troops and emergency workers.

Hey I loved it when I first saw a bag of diced onions in the freezer section.

They're great for cooking & I've used them in salsa etc....

I dice onions, with my Vidalia onion dicer/chopper thing & save them for future use in a ziploc bag.  I rarely store them for longer than a couple days when I need them for something else.

False

DO NOT REGRET GROWING OLDER.

IT'S A PRIVILEGE DENIED TO MANY.