Old The Farm Journal cookbooks? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Old The Farm Journal cookbooks?

Last post Oct 18, 2011 12:35 AM by Miata2 . 27 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 2 (28 items) 12
  • Old The Farm Journal cookbooks?

I just happened to inherit about 12 Farm Journal cookbooks, from the 50's, 60's and 70's.  From Country Fair cookbooks, Pie Cookbooks, Cookies, Bread, etc. 

Anyways, they are all outdated and I was wondering if they make them anymore?  I think it would be fun to get newer one and compare what they have now.  Some of the recipes are very interesting to read.  I stayed up till 4 in the morning reading one of them.  I have never heard of salsify.  I had to look it up on the internet just to find out it was.

So if anyone has any info on these, let me know.  I got on the Farm Journal website and I just found farming stuff. 

:) 

False
  • Re: Old The Farm Journal cookbooks?

I have quite a few of them and they are full of good recipes. I don't think they have any recently updated books but not sure - just haven't seen any. You can still pick up the old ones at places like Half Price Books and used book stores.

False

Land of the Free....because of the Brave Click for Fort Worth, Texas Forecast

Proud Field Editor for Taste of Home for 16-1/2 years.

I have a number of them from when I was first married and I still use them. They are favorites of mine and yes, they do have some good recipes in them. The Breads one is really good.

False

I have 3 given to me by my mother.  The Complete Pie Cookbook (1965), The Bread Cookbook (1969) and the Freezing & Canning Book (1973).  I still use them.  The pie cookbook has the best piecrust recipe I've ever come across.  The bread one has a great pizza crust recipe in it.

False
    Fill your lives with love and bravery and you shall lead a life uncommon. - Jewel

Summer74

suchamom
    The pie cookbook has the best piecrust recipe I've ever come across.

Would you mind posting that recipe here?  I keep saying that if I come across a good pie crust recipe, I might stop buying those rolled-up ones in the red box!  Smile

Here it is, Summer!

Flaky Pastry for 2-crust Pie

2 c. sifted flour

1 tsp. salt

3/4 c. vegetable shortening OR 2/3 c. lard

4 to 5 Tblsp. cold water

Combine flour and salt in mixing bowl.  Cut in shortening or lard with pastry blender until mixture is the consistency of coarse cornmeal or tiny peas.  Sprinkle on cold water, 1 Tblsp. at a time, tossing mixture lightly with a fork.  Add water each time to the driest part of the mixture.  The dough should be just moist enough to hold together when pressed lightly with a fork - not sticky.  If you don't need all of the water, don't use it.

Their recipe for a single crust pie calls for 1 cup of flour, 1/2 tsp. of salt, 1/3 cup plus 1 Tblsp of shortening OR 1/3 cup of lard and 2 to 2.5 Tblsp. cold water.

False
    Fill your lives with love and bravery and you shall lead a life uncommon. - Jewel

I have the FJ Best Ever Recipes, copyright 1977. Every single recipe in it that i've tried is a keeper! I've given out so many recipes from this book, more than from any other cookbook. This is a larger size ckbk, i'm guessing 9 x 11". Have a few other of their ckbks, found in thrift stores that make interesting reading, and have used some of those recipes too, with good results.  Jan.

False

I went to make the banana bread from my farm journal bread cookbook this morning and discovered that I had spilled some batter on the book and erased the amounts of butter, sugar, milk and eggs...It's my favorite recipe although I haven't used it for a while.  Can you help with the recipe??  Thank you, Lucille

False

Lucille, is this the correct recipe?

Banana Bread (From Farm Journal's Homemade Bread cookbook, 1969.)

3 1/2 cup sifted all purpose flour

3 tsp baking powder

1 tsp salt

1 tsp baking soda

2 cup mashed, ripe bananas (4-6)

2 T lemon juice

3/4 cup shortening

1 1/2 cup sugar

3 eggs

3/4 cup milk

1/2 cup chopped pecans or walnuts

Sift together flour, baking powder, salt and baking soda. Mash bananas with rotary beater or fork. Add lemon juice and mix. Cream shortening and sugar with electric mixer at medium speed, or with spoon. Add eggs and beat thoroughly until very light and fluggy (4 minutes beating in all). Add sifted dry ingredients alternately with milk; fold in bananas and nuts. Beat after each addition. Pour into 2 greased 81/2 X 41/2X21/2 loaf pan. Bake in moderate oven (350 degrees) 1 hour, or until cake tester or wooden pick inserted in center of loaf comes out clean. Cool in pans 10 minutes. Remove from pans and cool on wire rack. Wrap in foil or plastic wrap and let stand in cool place overnight before slicing, or freeze. Makes 2 loaves.

False
    "Blessed are those who love cats, for they shall never be lonely. --Unknown"

Jan2
    I have the FJ Best Ever Recipes, copyright 1977. Every single recipe in it that i've tried is a keeper! I've given out so many recipes from this book, more than from any other cookbook.

Jan, I just started picking up a few of the Farm Journal cookbooks at thrift stores.  I haven't seen the Best Ever Recipes one, so I will be on the lookout for it!  Thanks for the recommendation.  In the meantime, do you think that you could post some of your favorites from it?  It would be wonderful if you could!!  Thank you so much!

False

I don't own any of these but many people in the Cookbook Collectors group I belong to do own them and love them.  I should probably get one someday, but I bet than my cookbook collection would increase more.

False

ChocolateQueen

I don't own any of these but many people in the Cookbook Collectors group I belong to do own them and love them.  I should probably get one someday, but I bet than my cookbook collection would increase more.

I have now found three of them and just love them!  Evidently from what I have read on the boards, there are several that are really outstanding.  I would love to be able to find them as well. 

Our cookbook collections keep growing and growing with each treasure we find! 

False

thank you so much...this is the right one..it's delicious and you saved me from having to buy a new book..anything i can help you with let me know.... lucille

False