Cleaning Porcelain Floors | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Cleaning Porcelain Floors

Last post Jul 02, 2008 9:45 AM by fryer_mi . 11 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
  • Cleaning Porcelain Floors

I just had new porcelain tiles put in the bathroom; I've never have had anything but linoleum type floors before.  Does anyone have them and what do you use to clean them?  Is there anything I should NOT use on them?  The boxes they came in don't say anything about care.  TIA

False
  • Re: Cleaning Porcelain Floors

Can the people who sold/installed the floor tell you anything about caring for it? 

False
    Fill your lives with love and bravery and you shall lead a life uncommon. - Jewel

My installer is more of a handyman kind of guy that I've been hiring over the years; but I don't think he knows too much about cleaning. 

I bought them at Lowe's and I already asked the person in that department a different question when I was buying them and he gave me a contradicting answer when I posed the same question to my handyman so I don't put much faith in the Lowe's people...

False

Is your tile glazed? or porous?

My highly glazed, 30+ year old tile in my bathroom (floor, walls, tub surround) cleans up easily.  Generally, a quick spray of Windex or alcohol and a wipe with a paper towel leaves it gleaming.

Now, if you're talking about something with more of a bisque finish, then perhaps it would be a good idea to contact the manufacturer (check on the box to see if they have a website).

Enjoy your new floor.

False

Not glazed, more of a bisque finish.  I found the manufacturer's name on the bottom of the box (no website)   I'll check back tomorrow, when there are more ppl online, but otherwise I'll try to google the manufacturer.  Thanks Callie & suchamom!

False

Is it sealed? If so, you can clean it with anything, windex and a microfiber mop, glass cleaner, water, anything.  I have my whole downstairs done in porcelain and never hurt it.  I use the Hoover Floormate and it's perfect.   Porcelain is the hardest floor tile and I love it.  Enjoy it!

False

I googled and found this for you. Hope it helps. Seems that it is easy to clean with just water.

Cleaning porcelain floors is often as simple as using a damp mop and all-purpose cleaner. Mop your tile floor using warm water and a clean, nonabrasive cloth, mop or sponge. Cleaning products for porcelain tile help remove soils that sweeping, vacuuming or damp mopping leave behind. Part of the care for porcelain tile involves not only sealing the tile and grout after installation, but also removing dirt and grime regularly to help preserve the finish and look of porcelain floors. With a good glaze, stains are rare. Since porcelain tile is also has a very low moisture absorption rate, it is the perfect solution for bathrooms and kitchens. The low absorption rate can also help ensure high air quality in a home as the floor tile will not absorb chemicals and other unwanted substances.

False

When I had tile installed .  I was told to mix apple cider vinegar and water to mop with!  always left a shine and smelled good!  Very economical and cleaned good.  Title man told me you had to be careful of certain cleaners left wax residue.  Anyway you  can always try a small corner and see what you think!  Hope this helps

False

I finally located and bought the Bissell Steam Mop for the vinyl flooring in the baths & the tile flooring we having in the entry and living room.....and I love it.

It says it can be used on hardwood floors, but I'm not going to take the chance of ruining them or getting too much water on it.

Anyhow it steams with just water and it really uses very little moisture to get the tiles shiny clean.  Before I found it I was just using a clorox mop thing, but with plain water & it worked out great too. 

Love the idea of using some vinegar and water & would think that would remove any residue from previous cleanings.

False

DO NOT REGRET GROWING OLDER.

IT'S A PRIVILEGE DENIED TO MANY.

I have porcelain tiles in my 4-season room and I use vinegar water. Cleans up just fine. I also use vinegar and water on my wood floors.

False
    Click for Red House, West Virginia Forecast Bailey
    • Smile [:)]

Thanks for all the great advice everyone!

False
    Our tile installer, and also the man who refinished my wood floors, also recommended vinegar and water for cleaning. My porcelain kitchen tiles and wood floors still look great after many years.
    False