Can you freeze fresh mushrooms? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Can you freeze fresh mushrooms?

Last post Aug 07, 2008 5:28 PM by CardinalPuff . 9 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
  • Can you freeze fresh mushrooms?

local store has white button and babybellas on sale cheap. Do they freeze well?

False

Live your life in such a way that when your feet hit the floor in the morning, Satan shudders & says... 'Oh ***....she's awake!!!

• Re: Can you freeze fresh mushrooms?

I was thinking they'd be funky - I've never tried it but I found this after a Google Search

Q: Can you freeze mushrooms?

A: Not really. If you are really in a position of losing them, you can freeze them and then later simmer them to get a broth. But the mushrooms themselves will have an unappetizing texture.

False

Community Manager

Taste of Home Magazine

Feel free to contact me if you have questions or concerns with the Taste of Home website or community.

PM me here, find me on Facebook or email me sstetzel.toh@gmail.com

Proudly serving as a Taste of Home Field Editor since 2009.Big Smile

I saw on a couple websites they can be frozen, though I'd think texture and flavor would be lost in the process.

In my experience, fungus does not freeze well ... only for i.d. or lab purposes.  Not to eat. 

They wouldn't last long enough around here to make it to the freezer anyway, lol.

False

"In the end we're all alone ... and no one's coming to save you."  -John Reese

I'd probably can them instead of freezing.  Or you could always dehydrate them.

False
    License

My mother's been doing it for years, and it's perfectly safe. They MUST be cooked, before freezing....BUT, I have to admit, I've done it once, and really really disliked the results. I don't care for those that my mother freezes, either. They can really only be used in soups, stews, or casseroles, and they tend to be rubbery, like canned only worse. I imagine if they were shredded, and cooked to make a mushroom broth, such as for a future soup, and frozen in the broth, they'd be not too bad.

ViolaB

False

They freeze well after being sauted & cooled before vacuum packing.

False

I have frozen raw mushrooms before and I don't recommend it. If you have to freeze them, then cook them first. They still won't be as good as if they're fresh, but they are edible.

False

cookingmama1

They freeze well after being sauted & cooled before vacuum packing.

That is how I froze some mushrooms to use in sauces, I could not tell the difference from canned.

False

Ok, Thanks.

Here is my thinking. You have to be gentle with mushrooms, they hold water.

I freeze green peppers all the time, but when they thaw, they're really limp.They're good for some recipes. I'm thinking the same for the s'rooms. Good for soups and stews, not deep fried.

False

Live your life in such a way that when your feet hit the floor in the morning, Satan shudders & says... 'Oh ***....she's awake!!!

Fryegirl59
    Good for soups and stews, not deep fried.

Then how come you can buy Frozen Breaded Mushrooms  to deep fry????

False