What do parsnips taste like? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

What do parsnips taste like?

Last post Jul 04, 2012 12:52 PM by bratnella_NM . 9 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
  • What do parsnips taste like?

Aren't they like white carrots?  I found a recipe for roasted carrots and parsnips in another cooknig magazine and would like to try it but don't know what a parsnip really tasts like.

False
    I'll gladly pay you tomorrow for a hamburger today - Wimpy
  • Re: What do parsnips taste like?

Parsnips have a flavor similar to mild turnips but more herbal.  And where turnips get watery and a bit slimy when cooked, parsnips get smooth and creamy.  When roasted, parsnips develop more sweetness than when stewed.

False

So what?  Big deal.
    --Closing lines of Buckaroo Banzai Beyond the 8th Dimension, AND of my childhood mix tapes.

i dislike turnips but i really like parsnips..similar to a potato but with more flavor, kind of a sweetness.  i will not make soup or a stew without them.  i have also cooked themfor a sidedish with just butter and pepper.

False

I never thought of them like a potato - but I guess maybe a carrot / potato cross.  I really like them sauteed in butter!

True

Online Community / Field Editor Manager

Feel free to reach out to me anytime!

PM me here, find me on Facebook or email me sue.stetzel@RD.com

Proudly serving as a Taste of Home Field Editor since 2009.Big Smile

They are wonderful. I couldn't make a pot of chicken soup without them. Also, I add them along carrots, onions and potatoes with a roast pork or beef. Very mild flavor not really like a carrot nor a potato. Mild, mild, sweet turnip. Beverly
    False

Here's a tasty way to try parsnips. (Click name to see the recipe in a new window.)

Parsnip Pancakes recipe

Instead of rice or potatoes with her meal, Mom chose these delicate pancakes that are crispy on the outside and tender inside. The parsnips have a pleasant sweetness, while the chives add a hint of onion flavor. —Lois Frazee, Gardnerville, Nevada

False

God is a verb? like "will you god me?" or "i'm going to god you" ? or maybe "lets go godding today" ?? sorry i don't think that God is a verb lol

False

That is not how that statement was meant.  It's from a famous quote by Buckminster Fuller, American philosopher.  "God to me, it seems, is a verb, not a noun, proper or improper."  I always took that to mean that the act of believing in God should be more of something that can be seen through your actions and less through your words.  However, we were discussing the taste of parsnips and I'm glad to know what they taste like now.  

p0k3m4n5

God is a verb? like "will you god me?" or "i'm going to god you" ? or maybe "lets go godding today" ?? sorry i don't think that God is a verb lol

False

I had never tried parsnips until a couple of years ago, except in store-bought pot pies and a few other foods. Then I roasted some (with other root veggies), and I was hooked. I definitely don't think they taste like a potato or turnip, or even like a carrot. They have a distinct flavor of their own. Unfortunately, they've been so expensive lately I haven't indulged.

False