Need a recipe for cucumbers and vinegar with sugar | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Need a recipe for cucumbers and vinegar with sugar

Last post Sep 09, 2008 3:26 PM by oldgirl06 . 10 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
  • Need a recipe for cucumbers and vinegar with sugar

DH doesn't really like vinegar.  BUT, he went to a resort this weekend and the owners had some cukes in vinegar and sugar.  He loved it.  He said that when the cukes were all eaten they used the same solution again to soak more cukes.

Any help?

Gail

False
  • Re: Need a recipe for cucumbers and vinegar with sugar

Here is the recipe I use 

2 cucumber peeled and sliced
    1/2 c. vinegar
    2 tbsp. sugar

1/2 tsp oil
    1 onion sliced thin
    1/2 c. water
    1/4 tsp. salt
    Dash of pepper

False

I don't have a recipe.  I just do it by taste. 

First I peel and thinly slice cucumbers and onions.  I sprinkle them with salt and mix it into the cukes and onions.  Let them set at least 1/2 hour.  Then rinse well and leave to drain while you mix up the dressing.  Depending on how many cukes and onions you do you can increase or decrease the dressing ingredients.  If I'm doing 1 cuke and 1 onion I start with 1/2 cup of apple cider vinegar.  Add 1/4 to 1/3 cup of water and at least 1/2 cup of sugar.  Stir until sugar dissolves then taste it and adjust to your liking.  I also add a healthy pinch of pepper when I get the dressing to our taste.  Then pour over the cukes and onions.  Let set for a few hours or even overnight before eating.  This will keep very well in the frig.  You can also used the remaining dressing over at least one time.  I make this with Splenda instead of sugar and it works as well.

Hope this helps.

False

Carol

I do much the same as KCD, but without the oil.  And if I have a bit of dill to throw in, so much the better.

False

A lot of this is folk memories and cultural hangovers.

The reason I use the oil is for the seasoning to stick to the cucumbers and onion.   You can leave it out.

False

Here's the recipe my family enjoys. And, being diabetic, I have made it with Splenda and it was just fine.

CUCUMBERS IN CREAM

3 cucumbers, peeled and sliced
    (I just peel as many as I need for a 2 qt. casserole)
    1 medium onion, sliced thinly
    ¼ cup white vinegar
    3/4 cup sugar
    1 Tbspn. salt
    Half and half cream
    Pepper and salt to taste

Sprinkle salt over cucumbers and onions and let stand 2 hours. Rinse with cold water and drain well. Mix sugar and vinegar in a 2 cup measuring cup, stirring well with a fork. Add half and half cream to the mixture to equal 2 cups liquid. Stir well again. Pour cream mixture over rinsed and drained cucumbers and onions in a 2 quart dish. Stir, and cover. Refrigerate, serve cold, adding salt and pepper to taste.

Nancy Z.

This is good over cooked potatoes.

False

We use two recipes often, one with pasta and one without.  Both are great!

MARINATED CUCUMBERS

2    medium cucumbers, washed and sliced very thin
    1    medium green pepper, washed and cut into thin strips
    1/4 cup chopped onion
    1/2 to 1 cup sugar, to taste
    1    teaspoon salt
    1/2 teaspoon celery seed
    1/2 teaspoon mustard seed
    1/2 cup cider vinegar

Combine cucumbers, peppers, and onion.  In a small bowl, combine sugar, salt, celery seed, mustard seed, and vinegar.  Blend well.  Pour over cucumbers and toss well.  Cover; refrigerate at least 24 hours.  Stir occasionally. Makes 3 cups.

VINEGAR NOODLES (from TOH)

1    cup uncooked spiral noodles (I use rotini)
    1/2 cup thinly sliced cucumber
    1/4 cup thinly sliced onion
    6    Tablespoons sugar
    1/4 cup water
    3    Tablespoons vinegar
    3/4 teaspoon prepared mustard
    3/4 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
    1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon pepper
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1/8 teaspoon garlic salt

Cook noodles according to package directions.  Drain and rinse in cold water.  Place in a bowl; add cucumber and onion.  Combine remaining ingredients, mixing well.  Pour over noodle mixture and toss to coat.  Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.  Yield:  2 servings (we double the recipe)

False

YUM!!!!

Thanks for all the recipes.  I'll be busy trying them all.  I love vinegar and could just drink it straight.  I do like the idea of the cream with cucumbers too.

Thanks again.

Gail

False

I think it's somewhat a midwestern recipe.  I just slice my cukes very thin  same with onion.  Then soak in a heavy salt solution.  drain, I don't rinse as the cukes don't seem to retain much of the salt.  I don't use sugar, only vinigar and oil.  S$P of course.  I make these for every family gathering.  My little gk's  love these.

False

These are very refreshing.  

Refrigerator Pickles

6-7 thinly sliced cucumbers
    1 large thinly sliced green  pepper
    1 large thinly sliced onion  ( I like Vidalias if available)
    2 tbsp salt
    2 cups sugar
    1 cup Apple Cider vinegar
    1 tsp mustard seed if desired

Heat vinegar, do not boil, and dissolve the salt and sugar in it.   Add mustard seed and let syrup cool while you cut up the cucumbers, pepper and onion.

Combine everything in large mixing bowl and stir about every 10-15 minutes till the mixture has made more syrup---about an hour.   Fill jars with mixture and syrup and refrigerate.  Keeps a long time.  But they probably won't last too long!   LOL

False
    1. Click for Rochester, Minnesota Forecast