Can you put corelle in the microwave? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Can you put corelle in the microwave?

Last post Oct 19, 2008 3:25 PM by pepmint . 12 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (13 items)
  • Can you put corelle in the microwave?

I bought the cutest creamer, corelle., at Goodwill today.  It is the size of a mug, but, it has a spout, so, I guess it would be a creamer?

I thought it would be nice to heat up liquid with. Not sure if you can put it in the microwave. The writing is too small for me to read.

They had several small cups in the same pattern, but, I didn't get them. We are more the heavier coffee cups around here. 

False

catmint

• Re: Can you put corelle in the microwave?

I wouldn't chance it unless you can get a magnifying glass and read the writing.  If it's not too old, it should say microwaveable.

False

Some days, I can literally see the testosterone floating in the air around here. 

I don't have the creamer but I put my Corelle plates in the microwave all the time.  No problem.

False

I put my plates in there too.

False

May you never forget to remember what is worth remembering, nor ever remember what is best forgotten.                                                                                         

I do. I use pretty much anything, unless it looks like it has "gold" trim (and even that usually doesn't do anything) or glazed like made in Mexico or something (LOL)

I found this in google:

Yes. As CORELLE is heat resistant as well as break resistant, it can be used in microwave oven. But do not heat CORELLE on top of gas, electric and ceramic stovetops, on or near any other direct heating source such as range heat vents, pilot light, open flames, etc even for warming purposes. Do not use CORELLE under broiler/griller, browning element of microwave oven or in a toaster oven.

False

That's why I buy Corelle, it freezes, oven & micro I love it. Never had a problem. Hope Santa may buy me some new plates but if not it's OK I still got the old ones. Love them so much. I would never buy anything unless micro, oven or freezer, that's 3 times the fun.

False

Thanks, everyone, Starchild,.  It looks so fragile to me. That is one reason I didnt' get the cups. Now I wish I had. I think they were only a quarter.

False

catmint

Corelle can usually go into the microwave. 

If you have something you're not sure about, this is the test--put water in it, put in the microwave for 60 seconds (don't do longer than that--it's dangerous to heat water in the microwave--see below).  Then see if the water or the container is warm.  if the water is ,warm, the container is cool, it's okay in the microwave.  If the container is hot, but the water is not--then it's NOT a good microwave choice.  Just bought some cheap bowls about a month ago that get piping hot, but the food stays cold--obviously won't be able to use them to reheat soup for my lunch--LOL!

That being said, though, what kind of liquids are you thinking of heating?  You're really not supposed to microwave water, coffee, tea, other water-based liquids.  There is a slight chance that when you remove the container from the appliance, the water can 'explode' all over you.  That's because the way a microwave works is to super-excite the molecules in the food--and with a liquid, you can get an effect where the water heated so quickly that it's boiling hot and very unstable.  It's not going to happen every time, but you really don't want to take the chance of getting doused with scalding hot liquid even now and then.

False

Well I wouldn't have believed it if it didn't happen to me.  Today I went to reheat a couple of burgers.  I put them on two minutes in the microwave on a corelle dinner plate.  Before the time was up I heard a crack and looked in the micro and the plate had broken into two pieces.  I took it out of the micro and it had these fine cracks and then it broke apart in my hand.

False

The only liquids I heat in the microwave is milk for hot chocolate. Thanks!

False

catmint

""""""""""""""""But do not heat CORELLE on top of gas, electric and ceramic stovetops, on or near any other direct heating source such as range heat vents, pilot light, open flames, etc even for warming purposes."""""""""

Learned that the hard way.  I accidently made the mistake of putting a Correlle plate on hot element and that "puppy" popped and shattered all over th place.

False
    Aspiring to inspire before I expire! Faith, Family, Friends!

Use mine frequently in the microwave.  Some are 20+ yrs. old. 

Supposedly you can bounce Corelle off cement floors & it's fine.  Um, I prefer not to try that!  A friend's DH stood in the store & actually did!!!  She was so embarassed & pretended not to know him.  Embarrassed  None broke, they bought a couple sets!

False