Gluey Mashed Potatoes | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Gluey Mashed Potatoes

Last post Oct 05, 2008 7:27 PM by MOMTLJK . 12 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (13 items)
  • Gluey Mashed Potatoes

I made mashed potatoes the other night and they were real sticky and gluey.  What the heck happened?  Did I cook the potatoes too long?

My husband said I better figure it out before I host Thanksgiving! 

False
  • Re: Gluey Mashed Potatoes

It could have been the variety of potatoes you used.  Did you use a mixer to mash them?  I've found that makes mine "gluey".

False

The secret of happiness is not in doing what one likes, but in liking what one has to do. ~Barrie

Math is fun!

Click for Soldotna, Alaska Forecast

I did use a mixer and I never thought about the type of potato I used!  They tasted good but looked bad.  lol  I guess I'll have to try again.  And it's not like I have never made them before!  Thanks.  I'm gonna go see what kind I have. 

False

Don't use a mixer.  Use a hand masher...  I know it's more work, but they won't be gluey or turn grey.
    False
    "I try to avoid serving inedible substances to my guests." VinnyD
    How long did you leave them in the water? I noticed that if I leave mine in the water too long after they finish boiling they tend to get gluey.
    False
    Friends are like panties. Some stay up your butt, some get a little sideways, some are holy, some are cheap, and some actually cover your butt The American flag does not fly because the wind moves past it-The American flag flies from the last breath of each ,military member who has died protecting it DISCLAIMER: This e-mail, including attachments, is intended for the person(s) to whom it was sent and may contain outrageous claims and bald-faced lies. Unauthorized disclosure, copying or use of this information may result in a can of whoop-ass being opened on you and is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please inform the intended recipient you agree with this message. Thank you If I were to try to read, much less answer, all the attacks made on me, this shop might as well be closed for any other business. I do the very best I know how—the very best I can; and I mean to keep doing so until the end. If the end brings me out all right, what’s said against me won’t amount to anything. If the end brings me out wrong, ten angels swearing I was right would make no difference.” -A. Lincoln

Did you happen to use Red potatoes?  I have never been able to make good,NON gluey mashed potatoes using red potatoes.    I always use a mixer...but when I use white potatoes they never turn gluey.

False

Perfect Mashed Potatoes

1 1/3 pounds (4 medium) potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch chunks
    1 1/4 teaspoons salt, divided
    2 tablespoons butter or margarine, softened
    1/2 to 2/3 cup hot milk or
    cream

In large saucepan, combine 5 cups water, potatoes, and 1 teaspoon of the salt; bring to a boil.  Reduce heat to medium; cover and cook 10 minutes or until potatoes are tender when pierced with a fork.  Remove from heat and drain potatoes thoroughly in colander.  Return to saucepan; heat over medium-low heat approximately 1 to 2 minutes to dry potatoes, stirring occasionally. 

In saucepan, mash potatoes with a potato masher, potato ricer, fork, or beat with electric hand mixer until chunky.  Stir in butter, remaining ½ teaspoon salt and 1/2 cup of the hot milk.  Add additional milk, a little at a time, if necessary, for desired consistency.  Season to taste with additional salt, if desired. 

Serve immediately.

Makes 4 servings.

Frequent question asked by readers:

Question:
    What causes mashed potatoes to become gooey and how can I prevent this from happening?

Question:
    Help! I've been making mashed potatoes all my life and have never had the problem I had today. I just made 5 pounds of mashed potatoes, using a ricer, and for the first time ever I ended up with gluey mashed potatoes. My ingredients were identical to what I always have used (potatoes, melted butter, scalded milk, salt and pepper) but as soon as I added the butter to the riced potatoes, the potatoes became gluey. I tried to save them by using a blender and thinning with the milk but the problem intensified. Is there any way to save the potatoes or do I have to start over? Please answer as soon as possible. I have company coming tomorrow for dinner and time is of the essence.

Answers:

• Russet potatoes make the best mashed potatoes. Peel them and cut into equal-sized pieces. Boil and drain.

• Dry over low heat for a few minutes. Mash with a potato masher, potato ricer, or an electric beaters. Do this very quickly so the potatoes will remain hot.

Note: Gluey or gooey mashed potatoes are caused by vigorous over mashing, as anyone who has tried to make the side dish in a food processor can attest. When potatoes are boiled, their starch granules swell. If those granules are broken too vigorously, the cells release copious quantities of starch, resulting in a potatoes with the consistency of wallpaper paste.

NEVER use a blender or food processor to make mashed potatoes. There are starch packets inside the potato cells and the blender blades rip right through them, releasing the starch and this makes the potatoes into library paste. The cells of the potato flesh contain a very fine starch. Mashing gently leaves most of the cells intact. Processing in a blender or a Food Processor acts like a cell homogenizer and releases all that starch into the liquid. Adding any liquid early just makes the process more efficient.

• Add one tablespoon butter (more or less if you like) for each two potatoes, and salt to your taste. Beat until the butter is melted. Then add milk or light cream that has been heated but not brought to a boil (if you add cold liquid, the potatoes will be cold and gummy). Beat the liquid into the potatoes to make a smooth, fluffy mixture. Add only enough liquid to make the mixture smooth, about one tablespoon for each potato. Do not over beat. they should be soft and moist, but firm enough to hold their shape.

• All this should be done as quickly as possible so the potatoes never have a chance to get cold - that is the secret of delicious mashed potatoes!

From- What's Cooking America site.

http://whatscookingamerica.net/Q-A/PotatoesMashed.htm

False

Susan-Serving as a Taste Of Home Field Editor since 2009

It could of been OLD tators you used to??? Even tho they looked fine.

That has happened to me and my mom before. Gluey tators..ugg.

I use a hand mixer all the time,never had a prob with them being gluey from mixing them.

False

Over mixing will make them gluey every single time.  Regardless of what method you use to mash them.

False

Community Manager

Taste of Home Magazine

Feel free to contact me if you have questions or concerns with the Taste of Home website or community.

PM me here, find me on Facebook or email me sstetzel.toh@gmail.com

Proudly serving as a Taste of Home Field Editor since 2009.Big Smile

Cut your potatoes into cold water, then rinse them.  Cover with water again, and if the water still gets a little cloudy, rinse again. The starch is leaching out, and that's what makes your potatoes gluey. Works every time. . . .use your mixer, doesn't make a difference. It's the starch in the potatoes. 

False

Ok, I think I figured out what I did.  I  boiled the potatoes then turned the burner off and let them sit there while I got distracted with other dinner stuff.  I think they sat in the water too long.  And they looked gluey before I even started to mash them.  I am going to try again maybe this week and see what makes a difference.  Thanks for all the replies! 

False

I always use a mixer and I never have gluey mashed potatos. The trick is to not use it on high speerd until they're all mashed and mixed then you can turn it up and make them nice and fluffy. I hate lumpy mashted potatos and using a masher just doesn't work for me.

False

Ive never had a problem using a hand mixer. My guess would be the brand. I used to have the same problem when I bought the cheaper potatoes. Once I switched to Idaho brand I dont think Ive had that problem. They cost more,but thaSmilets ok as long as they're edible.

False