do you have a jar of molasses in your cupboard or pantry. | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

do you have a jar of molasses in your cupboard or pantry.

Last post Oct 14, 2008 6:51 PM by MOMTLJK . 26 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 2 (27 items) 12
  • do you have a jar of molasses in your cupboard or pantry.

if you do have a jar of molasses..how long has it been in your cupboard and how many recipes do you have using molasses..and how long of a shelf life does it have..

False
  • Re: do you have a jar of molasses in your cupboard or pantry.

I've had mine about a year.  I wouldn't know how to tell if it goes bad because it stunk the day I bought it!  I use it to make my own brown sugar and I just used it yesterday in a pumpkin bread recipe. 

False

I do have a jar of molasses and the shelf live is very long. I make many kinds of molasses cookies and gingerbreads. I love adding molasses to whole wheat bread too. Occasionally I use it in marinades or glazes for meats.
    False

i keep mine until it starts to 'crystal' (a very long time!)

False

my blog! www.jillshomecooking.blogspot.com

Been a big fan of TOH since I was a young teenager!!! I was sooooo excited to be asked to become a Volunteer Field Editor in June 2013!!

I do have a jar in there.. and it has been about 6 months... I use it in my gingersnap recipe... I think it grows fur when it goes bad... but never last long enough here to do that....

False

Old age ain't no place for sissies . -Bette Davis-

I have some.  I mostly use it this time of year--in glazes for roasted birds, and some cookie recipes.

False

So what?  Big deal.
    --Closing lines of Buckaroo Banzai Beyond the 8th Dimension, AND of my childhood mix tapes.

I do.

At least least 6 months. I think.

It's unopened. I don't remember why I bought it.

Actually, I've got a bunch of recipes, mostly molasses cookies and gingerbread. But if I ever run out of brown sugar, I can mix it with granulated sugar for an emergency substitution.

The use by date is 09/13. So it's  got quite a while to go lol.

False

Yup

False

May you never forget to remember what is worth remembering, nor ever remember what is best forgotten.                                                                                         

These are super-good! (Click name to see the recipe in a new window.)

Jumbo Molasses Cookies recipe

"These gigantic molasses cookies remind me of the ones my grandmother used to make," remembers Joan Stull of Titusville, Florida. At nearly 4 inches across, they're nicely spiced, delightfully chewy and bound to be noticed!

False

no

False

LOL, now you've got me checking company websites!

My bottle says Best by 09 13 2011. But the website says this:

Brer Rabbit® Molasses
    Brer Rabbit® Molasses has a 2 year best quality dating from when it is filled.
    Although safe to use after that time the molasses taste can change because of a naturally occurring yeast that could affect your recipe.

The code is stamped in black ink on the top border of the front label.
    For example, 24014 would mean it was filled January 24, 2004

24 Represents the day of manufacture
    01 Represents the month
    4 Represents the last digit of the year 2004

LOL, guess it isn't as old as I thought it was!

False

Yes I use mine up pretty fast but it does keep a long time.

False

Yes I have had the last jar about 6 months. I use it for baked beans and   in a sauce for chicken wings.

False

I am now the proud Mimi of 5 !!!!

Yep, there is an unopened jar in the cupboard. I mainly use it to make baked beans.  :)

False

Always buy the unsulfured molasses, the sufured kind is cheaper but its a lower quality and less sweet with a bitter aftertaste, and that's probably why a lot of people don't care for it.  Also steer clear of "blackstrap" molasses which is the dregs and fit only for livestock feed. I buy sweet sorghum molasses in 1/2 gallon tins… no dusty petite jars here! This is the best molasses because it has only been boiled once, so its lighter and very sweet.

I like hot biscuits with butter and molasses, but I use it in lots of recipes this time of year. My grandma's gingerbread and molasses cookies of course, also Indian puddings, fruitcakes, squaw bread, and waffles, buckwheat pancakes and on fried cornmeal mush. Steamed Boston brown bread and Boston baked beans must have plenty of molasses. Yum!

I mix my own BBQ sauce with molasses as the "secret" ingredient. Try molasses, butter and bourbon -- or better yet, Southern Comfort -- as a marinade and braise for pork or poultry. Iuse it as a glaze on veggies like steamed carrots, parsnips, winter squash, or Brussels sprouts.

If you like strong, French roast or Turkish coffees, add a couple of spoons of gooey molasses, a splash of heavy cream and a dash of cinnamon… it's like a heavenly dessert! My grandma's home remedy of a little spoonful of molasses in hot lemony tea is very soothing for sore throats.

False

"Wit is educated insolence." Aristotle