Milk Going Bad | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Milk Going Bad

Last post Oct 19, 2008 5:21 AM by _FOOTSIE . 6 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
  • Milk Going Bad

I've had two gallons of milk and a half gallon sour before the last date of sale lately.  I took two back to Kroger's and got a refund.......the third I didn't get back and finally dumped it.   Right now I have a gallon from Aldi's that expires October 20 that is still ok.   They were skim (think the half gallon was 1%).  Wonder if that makes any difference  Know I kept the milk  in the refrigerator and didn't leave it sitting out.    Think some of the Kroger's might have been on sale...wonder if that is why the milk was on sale.  They knew it was about to turn.   Has anyone else experienced this?  It's too expensive to throw away!

False
  • Re: Milkl Going Bad

I've had the same problem, but with milk from Walmart. One gallon still had a week left before the sell by date. I only buy skim, and it can go bad faster as it is so low fat. The higher fat milk always stays fresher longer. My refrigerator works good, so I can't figure out what is going on. I did take one gallon back for an exchange. Sometimes DD and I are so busy we can't drink it fast enough and I think even though the date is plenty good, it is just that it has been opened for a while.

False

Rebecca

I have never experienced this and we don't use much milk, so the milk we have has been opened and kept in the fridge for awhile. I'll bet the store is playing around with changing the "sell by" date.

False

May you never forget to remember what is worth remembering, nor ever remember what is best forgotten.                                                                                         

I buy only skim, and very little of that, but I'll have one go bad early every once in a while and I've never understood why either. 

False

I used to have a horrible time with milk going bad, typically within days of purchase and it didn't make the least bit of difference the brand or the market purchased at.

Here's what I did and we've not had a gallon of milk go bad since.  I quit putting milk in the shelf in the door.  Also, as the earth shifts, now the sun shines in onto the frig in the afternoon.  I close the kitchen blinds and think that also helps.  I have the frig set at it's coldest setting.  I haven't put a thermometer in there in a long time but moving it from midcold setting to coldest setting didn't change the temperature more than 2 degrees, but maybe that was enough.

The really sad thing is that it's a 3yr old Samsung frig.  I'd not buy a Samsung again but it was a huge deal as an "open box item" from Best Buy when we moved into our new house.

False
    Thanksgiving is good but thanks-living is better. Matthew Henry 1662-1714

It's happened to me too and it doesn't matter where I buy it or what brand it is. I always pick the jug with the latest expiration date and it would still go bad several days or even a week before "it expired". Sometimes without ever being opened.

Now I make sure the milk and cold items go into an ice chest for the ride home from the store and I turned the temperature down on my fridge. I've always stored milk on the top shelf, (never on the door) but since the bottom half always seems colder (bad fridge or "cold air is heavy and sinks theory"? lol) I put a fridge fan on the bottom shelf to circulate the cold air. It seems to work. I still have the occasion jug of sour milk but nothing like I used to have.

False

oh yeah, i vacuumed all the dust from under the fridge. that probably helped it cool more than anything. i don't think anyone had ever moved the fridge to clean behind it, you could have insulated a house with all the dust i pulled out of it.

False