What is the difference between a frying chicken & a roasting chicken? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

What is the difference between a frying chicken & a roasting chicken?

Last post Mar 13, 2012 6:59 AM by beeje . 17 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 2 (18 items) 12
  • What is the difference between a frying chicken & a roasting chicken?

I know this seems like a dumb question, but, is it just the size of the chicken?  (with the roaster being larger).  Is there a difference in the quality of the meat and can you roast a fryer or fry a roaster if you choose?  lol

Just wondering.  Our grocery store has whole fryers on sale but I don't really want to fry chicken (too much mess).  So what can I do with it?  Soups, stews, pot pies, roasted??  Help!

**edited to add:  I have used a fryer in soups and stews but I've never roasted a chicken unless it was labled "roasting chicken."  Just wondering if I can.

False
    Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are. "John Wooden"
  • Re: What is the difference between a frying chicken & a roasting chicken?

Yep, fryers are usually scrawny, while the roasters are larger, more plump birds. Use them interchangeably, just know the fryers are not as meaty, and are older I think.

False

Rebecca

Thanks Rebecca.  So would the fryers not be as tender?  I will probably pick up a couple just so I have an excuse to make chicken and dumpling soup.  But just never really thought about the difference between them until today.

False
    Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are. "John Wooden"

STG

The difference is:  One kind goes in the Oven and the other kind goes in a fry pan! Wink

Krissy~~~

Seriously, I have NO idea.

False

bobswife

STG

The difference is:  One kind goes in the Oven and the other kind goes in a fry pan! Wink

Krissy~~~

Seriously, I have NO idea.

bahahaha  Sounds like the kind of smart alec answer I would give my DH.  Good one!  lol

False

I've cooked both.  I think how you cook them determines how tender they are.

True

Online Community / Field Editor Manager

Feel free to reach out to me anytime!

PM me here, find me on Facebook or email me sue.stetzel@RD.com

Proudly serving as a Taste of Home Field Editor since 2009.Big Smile

In my opinion, roasting chickens are usually older and bigger than fryers, and they need a longer cooking time.   They can be used in soups and stews and any other method of longer cooking.

Fryers are usually younger and smaller and more tender, so they can be fried a shorter time.   However, you can roast or bake fryers, too!    Or use them for soups and stews.

I like chicken to fall off the bones, so I fry it on low for over an hour, and then turn up the heat to finish browning it. 

False
    1. Click for Rochester, Minnesota Forecast    

I guess I'd say that you can roast a fryer and get a good result - roasting time according to the size of the bird - but if you try to fry a roaster you'll wind up with tough fried chicken.  IMHO.  Because the roaster is an older, heavier bird.

False

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Ben Franklin

I've read that the secret to great fried chicken is using smaller chickens, hence "fryers".  

False

Some days, I can literally see the testosterone floating in the air around here. 

Thanks everyone! 

Oldgirl ~ So the fryers are usually younger, that's good to know.  I was just thinking that I could maybe cook two of them if I wanted extra for the family  I have a really good greek chicken recipe that I like to use a roaster for but they are so darn expensive right now.

Guess I'll pick up a few at the store tomorrow.  We'll have greek chicken, chicken and dumplings, and maybe fried chicken in our future.  lol

False

Debbie_BayVillage
    but if you try to fry a roaster you'll wind up with tough fried chicken.  IMHO.  Because the roaster is an older, heavier bird.

Thanks!  That's a good point.  Heck, I'd probably overcook it to make sure it was done.  DH bought some bone in chicken breast not long ago.  I told him "good grief" these things came from the Dolly Parton chicken farm.  They were quite large!   lol  Embarrassed

False

smalltowngirl_VA

Oldgirl ~ So the fryers are usually younger, that's good to know.  I was just thinking that I could maybe cook two of them if I wanted extra for the family  I have a really good greek chicken recipe that I like to use a roaster for but they are so darn expensive right now.

I used to work with a gal who raised chickens on her farm, and she used to let them get to be about 7-8 pounds and sell them as roasters.   I bought a couple from her one year, and roasted it like a turkey with dressing and everything, but it was so tough!   I never bought a big chicken like that again.  I have roasted a whole fryer though, and they are good.   Actually, I think you can do anything you want with a fryer.   They are much more tender!

False
    1. Click for Rochester, Minnesota Forecast    

A fryer is a young chicken.  A roaster is an older, larger chicken and in the past was usually a hen.  My aunt had a boarding house in the 40's and 50's and raised her own chickens.  She never let the fryers get to be more than two pounds and her fried chicken was "the best".  I wonder today how she ever got all those chickens killed and cleaned to feed her family and her four to six boarders.I know that two pounds is very small by today's standards but a small chicken is better for frying.  The larger "roaster" will require longer, slower, moist heat cooking to be tender but is is worth the effort.  I am not able to cook the way I used to but I always made cornbread dressing (stuffing) to go with the roast chicken and it was a favorite in our family.

False

Our local Meat Market has Dolly Parton Chicken Chests, STG. Smile

Just wanted to mention...have you ever tried a Stewing Hen?  They're perfect for making soup, casseroles, pot pies, etc. Yes

Krissy~~~ 

False

I always buy fryers because they're cheaper! And (like everybody said) you can roast a fryer, but you don't want to fry a roaster! And they work just fine in soup or stew!

False