convection oven from aldis | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

convection oven from aldis

Last post Sep 02, 2010 1:58 AM by Catmint_WV_49F . 7 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
  • convection oven from aldis

I bought a counter top convection oven made by Crofton from Aldis.  It is a large glass bowl with the top part that is the convection part.  I am not sure what I can make with this.  Does anyone have this product and what do you make?  Thanks for helping me.   

False
  • Re: convection oven from aldis

Before you bake anything in it, put some already baked hard rolls in it to re-heat them.

That way you will find out how strong the "wind" is in there.

When they first came out in 20 yrs ago a friend bought one, put some rolls in it to reheat and it almost scared us to death. The wind in there was so strong it banged the rolls around and it sounded like a herd of horses running through the kitchen. I don't think she used it very ofetn.

I have a 28 yr old counter top Farberware convection oven that is still going styrong but it is the usual rectangular metal one with a glass door that opens like a regular door (not a drop down like in the newer ovens). I like mine  very much and don't think I would want one of those round ones. Maybe they have improved them with  variable strength "wind" speeds.

Good luck with yours but I would try it with the already baked rools before I would try to bake a roast or cake.

False

Oh my goodness reading this and of course Grelo is so informative. I have a friend who just bought one and will call her with this info tomorrow. Thanks so very much. YOU are an angel to this board.

False

Janice,

actually it was funny, those rolls flying and banging around in there but it did scare is since we were in another part of the kicthen and at first didn't know what the noise was.

Like I said, maybe they now have variable "wind speed", it would be an imporvement. If the air current is too strong it will pick up any liquids that cook our of the food and blow  them  around in there. One could try with a bit of clear, clean water in the bottom of the bowl, maybe 2-3 Tabsp full.

They have such nice rectangular convection ovens now, some also broil. I bake all my chickens, up to 10" diam round cakes and 9" X 13" cakes in mine and can do a small turkey in it. Some of the newer ones also have a meat (thermometer probe), when the meat has reached a certain set  temp it shuts the oven off automatically.

I bought mine in 79, when convection counter top ovens  first came out.   Paid $156.00 and have used it at least 2-3 times a week since then, if not more. Mine has manual controls but they don't make those any longer, everything is now  electronically controlled.

Those round ones may be OK if they have tomned down the "wind speed" or made it adjustable..

It's almost time to go to bed so I'll disappear from here. Hope those ovens work out for everybody.

False

These are awesome, we've got one of the American Harvest variety, wish I had the one with the glass container, it would be far easier to clean.  The key to using these is to use the top rack to help hold down whatever you're cooking in it.  We constantly use ours for quick heats of leftovers, and love to use it to cook things that you would have had to deep fry before - think mozzarella sticks, cheddar balls, mushrooms, etc.  They come out golden brown and crispy - without the added oil.  We took our cue on how to use these from the Sam's Club sample folks back when they had theirs.  We're currently on our second one, having worn out the first one.

False

Thanks, Karhound. I have an American Harvest as well. I never thought of using it for the snacky things. I'll give that a try!

False

I bought a total of six of these ovens for myself and other family members for Christmas gifts and not only do we love them, they are used daily. No longer do we use grease or oils for french fries or tator tots, they come out golden brown and crispy. Pork ribs and chops, chicken breast are sooooooo tender and juicy. This has to be all our favorite kitchen toy. The price was a steal! I give this product a double thumbs up!!!!! It's a real time saver too. Start off with small things and work your way up. I know you will love it if you give it a chance.

Take meats straight from the freeze to the oven rock hard and get the most tender juicy meats ever.

False

Are these the same ovens that they show on the informercials? My Dad sent off for one, or, rather, two of them. He said the shipping really got him. I told him, yup, I've heard that. He tried to give me one, but, I don't really have room for one, and don't really know how to cook with one. I'm not sure if he has tried his or not. The dome looked like plastic, to me, but, I didn't touch it.

False

catmint