What kind of bread to serve with soup? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

What kind of bread to serve with soup?

Last post Nov 16, 2008 4:14 PM by 2bmwmom . 19 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 2 (20 items) 12
  • What kind of bread to serve with soup?

The post about soup got me to wondering...what kind of bread do you prefer to serve with your soup?  I seem to be stuck in a rut, always serving French bread with mine.  What other kind is good with soup? 

False
    I am proud to be an American. Because an American can eat anything on the face of this earth as long as he has two pieces of bread.
    Bill Cosby

• Re: What kind of bread to serve with soup?

If you have a Wegmans in your region, you're in luck. They have a delicious Tuscan bread (a round) that I always pick up when soup's the main course--the crust is slightly oiled with a very light garlic flavor and a hint of cayenne. It's delicious and. best of all, is flavorful enough to need no butter.

False
    _____ Woe to you that call evil good, and good evil: that put darkness for light, and light for darkness: that put bitter for sweet, and sweet for bitter. --Isaiah 5:20

Summer's beer bread! Beer

Here is a link to that discussion. 

I usually serve store-bought whole wheat bread with soup, but rolls are a nice change of pace. I like the heat and serve type from Pepperidge Farm.

False

I love sour dough that comes unsliced. We just tear off a piece from the loaf.

False
    Marie K McConnell

For me it depends on the soup I'm serving.  Some examples of soups that I don't serve with french bread:

Ham and Bean Soup it's cornbread

Rueben Soup its pumpernickel

Lentil Soup its naan

False

This recipe was given to me by a friend, but may have been first published in Cook's Illustrated. Great with spaghetti, soups, etc...  We enjoy it still warm from the oven OR cooled to room temperature OR toasted.
    ~~Vicki

CLASSIC IRISH SODA BREAD
    Fresh out of the oven, this bread is a great accompaniment to soups or stews, and leftovers make fine toast.

Yields 1 loaf.

3 cups bleached all-purpose flour, plus more for work surface
    1 cup cake flour
    2 tablespoons granulated sugar
    1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
    1-1/2 teaspoons cream of tartar
    1-1/2 teaspoons table salt
    3 tablespoons unsalted butter (2 tablespoons softened + 1 tablespoon melted)
    1-1/2 cups buttermilk

1. Adjust oven rack to upper-middle position and heat oven to 400 degrees.
    2. Whisk flours, sugar, baking soda, cream of tartar, and salt in large bowl.
    3. Work softened butter into dry ingredients with fork or fingertips until texture resembles coarse crumbs.
    4. Add buttermilk and stir with a fork just until dough begins to come together.
    5. Turn out onto flour-coated work surface; knead until dough just becomes cohesive and bumpy, 12 to 14 turns. (Do not knead until dough is smooth, or bread will be tough.)
    6. Pat dough into a round about 6 inches in diameter and 2 inches high; place on greased or parchment-lined baking sheet or in cast-iron pot, if using.
    7. Place the loaf on a cookie sheet and cut a cross shape into the top.
    8. Bake until golden brown and a skewer inserted into center of loaf comes out clean or internal temperature reaches 180 degrees, 40 to 45 minutes.
    9. Remove from oven and brush with melted butter; cool to room temperature, 30 to 40 minutes.

False

we don't usually have bread with soup....I am not a big bread eater....so we might have crusty rolls or if having tomato soup...grilled cheese on sourdough

False

It's not how you start, it's how you end....so end strong!!

Walk yourself strong!!

something crusty that I can dip!

False

You can put lace on a frog, but he's still gonna defecate on your porch. 

shelleyjCA2AZ
    we don't usually have bread with soup....I am not a big bread eater

Same here.  I do serve cornbread with ham & bean and I use French bread to top my Four Onion soup.  Other than that, I usually keep a box of Texas Toast in the freezer.  They are individually cut so I can take out just one or two slices for dh in case he wants bread; they heat up in just a few minutes.

False

Warm, buttered pumpernickel.

False

So what?  Big deal.
    --Closing lines of Buckaroo Banzai Beyond the 8th Dimension, AND of my childhood mix tapes.

Cornbread with bean or split pea soup.

French bread with others.

False

The secret of happiness is not in doing what one likes, but in liking what one has to do. ~Barrie

Math is fun!

Click for Soldotna, Alaska Forecast

With bean soup or chili we will have corn bread, but with most other soups I prefer to just have crackers.

False

Cornbread with chili or bean soup.........angel biscuits with most of the other soups. Sometimes Italian bread with minestrone or other Italian soups.

False

We're more likely to have Oyster Crackers or Saltines with Soup.  However, if we do have Bread, it's normally a nice & crusty loaf of French or Vienna Bread. Yum! Smile

Krissy~~~

False