Homework ? Motzy's Magic Square | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Homework ? Motzy's Magic Square

Last post Dec 14, 2008 10:24 PM by Summer74 . 21 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 2 (22 items) 12
  • Homework ? Motzy's Magic Square

It's a 4x4 square, using the numbers 1-16, the magic number is 34.  The numbers 11, 6 and 4 are already given.  How do you figure out what numbers go where?  Is there a formula?  DD wasn't in class when this was gone over.  Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

_   _   _   _

_  11  _   _

_   _   6   _

4   _   _   _

False

"Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You."
    Dr. Seuss
  • Re: Homework ? Motzy's Magic Square

That's the same answer I got.  I was trying to see if there was an easier way than playing around with the numbers. Dd was getting frustrated having to arrange and then rearrange the numbers.  I can't believe that this was for 4th grade math!

False

"Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You."
    Dr. Seuss

Summer74

4th grade??  Confused  Yikes.

I know I don't remember doing anything like that in 4th grade!
    Summer74
    ....I haven't figured out the formula yet & I don't intend to lose sleep doing that tonight.  Smile
    LOL!  Thanks for you help!
    False

Dr. Seuss

Holy cow, Jan!  Fourth grade Soduko?  Don't tell DD that you cheated...LOL!

False
    Photobucketsm peace Photobucket

oh my word, I should never have even looked at this .. I'm pretty sure I'm having a brain bleed now ... math makes me hurt!

False

signature 

My "Babies" are growing up!!!!

BlueDenim_MI
    Don't tell DD that you cheated...LOL!

She asked for help...she didn't cheat. lol.  Remember?  We don't procrastinate...we re-schedule.  lol.

False

Nature is the 'Great Mysterious' ... the religion before religions. Peter Matthiessen, Indian Country

rossmom229

oh my word, I should never have even looked at this .. I'm pretty sure I'm having a brain bleed now ... math makes me hurt!

ROTFLMAO! 
    BlueDenimMI
     Holy cow, Jan!  Fourth grade Soduko?
      Suduko is easier than this was, bd!  Like rossmom, it almost caused a brain bleed!  Poor dd was getting so frustrated. 
    False

Dr. Seuss

BlueDenim_MI
    Don't tell DD that you cheated

I didn't cheat smarty pants!  I figured it out before I posted.  I was just hoping someone had a formula that I could show dd as to how to figure it out.  I wasn't going to give her the answer.  I'm a mean mom that makes her kid figure out the answer.
    False

Dr. Seuss

LOL!  I can only echo Rossmom about the blain breed...(see what it did to my brain?)

False
    Photobucketsm peace Photobucket

BlueDenim_MI
    I can only echo Rossmom about the blain breed

Oh I thought it was dyslexia. LOL!
    False

Dr. Seuss

Summer74

DS says that the sum of the rows of a magic square equals....

n (n^2 + 1) / 2

n times (n squared plus 1) divided by 2

Where n = number of rows in the n x n matrix.

OMG STOPPPPPPPPP you are killing me!!!!!!!!!!  What is she in college??????  I thought 4th grade was like fractions or something (which are painful enough!)

False

signature 

My "Babies" are growing up!!!!

Summer74

DS says that the sum of the rows of a magic square equals....

n (n^2 + 1) / 2

n times (n squared plus 1) divided by 2

Where n = number of rows in the n x n matrix.

Ok now not only is my brain bleeding but I think it just exploded just like in that movie Scanners!
    False

Dr. Seuss