Is Efforting a real word? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Is Efforting a real word?

Last post Dec 23, 2008 6:03 PM by Morningdove_Wa . 19 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 2 (20 items) 12
  • Is Efforting a real word?

Listening to the news, and the reporter was at the airport here and said all the ailine carriers are "efforting" to get traffic moving.....  I would think maybe "making an effort" would have been better english?  am i wrong?

False

Old age ain't no place for sissies . -Bette Davis-
  • Re: Is Efforting a real word?

Must be a Bush...Making up words is a sign of family connections.
    False

"Anyone can oppose, it's fun to be against things, but there comes a time when you have to start being for things as well."

Where I come from it ain't a word - but these days they just make them up as they go.  I cringe at some of the things they come out with.
    False

Thank You I thought I was maybe NUTZ... but I haven't ever heard that one before!!!!!!

False

Sounds like a bad word.  Like 'this is an efforting mess!'

brigidSleep

False

In the local paper there was an article about "gifting".  What they meant was "giving" but I guess that word had been used enough and they had to show how talented they were in making up new words. 

I don't think we need any more new words, we have enough already.

Brenda

False

AKF  google "efforting".  Interesting info.  Says it's a made up word used mostly by news people. 

. Efforting 

A made up word used only by newscasters to show off that they're doing the job they're paid to do. A poor attempt to make the word ‘effort’ into a verb. To make it sound like something simple is tough to do, so they’re making extra effort. Often used as a stall when a report isn’t ready.
    False

Sounds like someone didn't pass journalism school. 

False

Some days, I can literally see the testosterone floating in the air around here. 

Effortful is a word in my old, old dictionary.  It is an adjective.

Effortless is also an adjective.

Effort is a noun.

No where is it or any of its forms used as a verb.

On the internet, MSN Encarta doesn't have a listing for it. 

Efforting.........hmmmmm, I dunno.  

False

akfishergirl

Listening to the news, and the reporter was at the airport here and said all the ailine carriers are "efforting" to get traffic moving.....  I would think maybe "making an effort" would have been better english?  am i wrong?

what channel was that
    False

Is efforting on par with "I am wanting to"? Latter is one that drives me bonkers.

Seems like there are many INGS floating around now.

False

Dog  Hi Ak...  seems to me like a word you better be darn careful when you say it!!  Check out the post on turning on your Christmas lights...  I left you a message there.

False

gkids3_il

AKF  google "efforting".  Interesting info.  Says it's a made up word used mostly by news people. 

. Efforting 

A made up word used only by newscasters to show off that they're doing the job they're paid to do. A poor attempt to make the word ‘effort’ into a verb. To make it sound like something simple is tough to do, so they’re making extra effort. Often used as a stall when a report isn’t ready.

LOL!!!!!

Cheryl it was KING5... Carolyn Stark!!!!  I just had to laugh.. yes I know they are tired and have been reporting snow for days on end.. but sheesh... at least use real words! 

False

I don't see much point in creating a three syllable word to replace a perfectly good two syllable word.

"Efforting" is unnecessary, because the word "trying" exists.  Or "working on".  Or if you really must use a longer word, how about "attempting"?

False

So what?  Big deal.
    --Closing lines of Buckaroo Banzai Beyond the 8th Dimension, AND of my childhood mix tapes.

akfishergirl

gkids3_il

. Efforting 

LOL!!!!!

Cheryl it was KING5... Carolyn Stark!!!!  I just had to laugh.. yes I know they are tired and have been reporting snow for days on end.. but sheesh... at least use real words! 

akfishergirl

gkids3_il

. Efforting 

LOL!!!!!

Bet you a dollar to a doughnut Jean Enerson would not use that word.
    False