Milk has odd taste | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Milk has odd taste

Last post Feb 04, 2013 5:32 PM by fox1splash . 62 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 5 (63 items) 12345
  • Milk has odd taste

Frequently I buy milk and find that it has an odd taste. I describe it as a rice taste. I buy 1/2 percent milk from Meijer, Walmart or kroger. Usually it is Country fresh, sometimes Great Value and now Meijer brand.All of these brand sometimes have this taste.

The following thread talks about milk taste and indicates what sounds like the same problem, but they describe the taste as "going bad" milk.  https://community.tasteofhome.com/forums/t/677353.aspx.

This is not the taste of milk that is going sour. I can detect that taste from 2 miles and when it is so faint that a bloodhound could not smell it. This is definately a taste of something besides sourness.But it is still disgusting!!

For quite a long time Meijer brand milk did not have this taste. Now, all of a sudden I have 2 gallons from Meijer.

Does anyone else buy milk with this "ricey" taste? Do you know what it is? Is it a additive? A chemical?  

False
  • Re: Milk has odd taste

Actually, I buy myself rice milk. Then you don't have the "rice" problem. If I must have milk, it is whole milk. om nom nom nom nom 

Ja, I know what you're talking about. It's like the "butter vs crisco" thing. Or applesauce instead of a fat in a baked good. "No one can tell the difference". Wanna bet?

~Morg~

(has no idea what that is but thinks it shouldn't be in there)

False
    It takes a Viking to raze a village. My Unitarian Jihad Name is: Sister Atom Bomb of Love and Mercy!

It could be something the cows are eating.  I know in the spring, cows can eat the fresh wild garlic, and have it taint the milk.  It is quite nasty smelling, as well as tasting.  The milk is probably not "bad", but who wants to use it if it taste weird. 

False

I would bet it is what the cows are fed or if they are being given "vitamins". In the south we have a dairy called Mayfield. Mayfield milk tastes so much better than the others. It costs more but at least I'm not pouring out milk that no one drank! DS can tell a difference between Mayfield and Pet without even knowing which container it came out if. He prefers Mayfield. I spoiled him! LOL

False

Maybe the cows have been fed rice.

False

Some days, I can literally see the testosterone floating in the air around here. 

The fact that you're finding so many brands having this same taste leads me to believe that it is not the milk itself.  Have you had a change in medications or diet lately?   Altered body chemistry can have an effect on how things taste.

False

I recall this same thing years ago when our kids were growing up.  It was usally some cheap brand of milk.  Maybe it is the container.  Those old cardboard cartons had the most odd flavor I think.  I try to buy Shamrock milk now.  It is hormone free.

False
     Click for Sun City, Arizona Forecast

I thought milk tasted "ricey" when I was pregnant. Don't let that startle you! It could be anything.

False
    Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

I'm inclined to agree with SOF. There's just too many brands involved for it to be the milk itself. I'd be looking at medications or a chemical imbalance of some sort (heck it could even be hormonal. yours not the cows) rather than blaming the dairy farmers.

False

I know exactly what you're talking about.  I don't define it as a "ricey" taste, but I definitely define it as a "taste."  An odd taste.  An after-taste.  A strange, weird taste.  I hate it, whatever it is.  I wondered the same thing...was it an additive, or something the cows ate?  Furthermore, was it some strange government experiment (bear with me, I'm not nuts)?  For example, the government has run experiments and studies on people in the US without their knowledge, and in some cases has harmed people.  In this case, I wasn't thinking harm.  I was thinking...what if they wanted to see if anyone would notice that they'd switched all the milk over to skim?  In an effort to fight obesity and get people healthier, maybe they'd gotten farmers (and grocers?) to agree to market skim milk as 1% and 2%.

I don't know what accounts for this bad after-taste.  But it's bad enough that I've almost given up on drinking milk altogether.  It's NOT hormones (whoever commented on that), because so many people are tasting it, and also because my children taste the difference and refuse to drink it.  ALSO, at the very same time I was buying this horrid milk in the cities (St. Paul), I was also working an hour away up north.  I bought milk at that Walmart one day and discovered it tasted right/correct.  It tasted like 2% is supposed to taste and I LOVED milk again.  I started buying all our 2% there (Great Value milk) and things were going great.  The Great Value milk from Walmart in the cities down here was HORRIBLE...how could the same brand have two completely different tasting milks just by being in two different cities?  

Just two weeks ago, the Walmart milk from up north started tasting wretched as well .  My kids noticed it first and then I tried it.  They were right- it was horrible.  WHAT IS GOING ON?  I love milk too much to just give up on drinking it- I want to get to the bottom of this.  It's not just the off brands or cheap brands either....at least, not here in MN.  I tried Land O'Lakes, Kemps, and the off brands, and ALL of them had this same, putrid after-taste.  It isn't spring-time- that's for sure.  So, are the cows being fed bad hay, or having chemicals or antibiotics added to their food, or is there some new kind of pasteurization process being used (like flash pasteurization) that's making it taste so bad?

If ANYONE finds the answer to this or knows who I can contact to find out, I'd be grateful for any info.  I'd write to the American Dairy Association, but I feel like all I'll hear back is something along the lines of me imagining the bad taste.  Maybe they'll suggest it's a "hormone" problem, or changing taste buds.  Or maybe they'll say the milk was stored improperly (which it wasn't, at least on my end).  But kids and moms don't all change hormones on the same day, on the same gallon of milk.  This is definitely not just our imagination.  Friends have commented on the same thing, but how do you complain about something you can't describe?  And for those with less sensitive taste buds, how do you even point out the problem?

Surely, we can't be the only ones tasting this difference in the milk lately.  I'm VERY sad about the fact that the Walmart up north also suddenly has this bad milk.  I thought that at least I'd found some solace in the fact that I could still get good 2% (normal tasting) milk, even if I do have to drive an hour to get it!

False

But you can SEE the difference between skim milk and regular milk.

I'm thinking it's what the cows are being fed or some growth hormone they've been given to increase milk production.

False

I'm not psycho.....I just like psychotic things.

Adria's World

I don't know if this has anything to do with your specific problem, but you do have to be carful of buying milk from discount stores.  Sometimes, that's milk that's gone past the expiration date, has been opened, reprocessed and rebottled with a new 'sell by' date.  I know this to be true, because a friend of DH's used to work in one of the repackaging plants.  Not something the man on the street is generally aware of, I find.  But because of that, I'd rather pay a bit more for a better quality of milk, and only buy brand names I'm familiar with.

False

I have had the same experience, specifically with Great Value (WalMart) 1/2% milk.  Never with Country Fresh or Meijer.  I would describe it as a chemical or plasticy taste.  It is maybe every fourth or fifth lot we are experiencing it with.  Both my husband and I and our oldest son can taste the difference (my other kids are too little to notice), so I don't think it's our own body chemistries. It is definitely NOT the smell of sour milk.  If it were the cows' diet, I would think it would taste different but not this artificial plasticky flavor.

False

I am in southwest Ohio and I purchased a gallon or Horizon organic 1% and it tastes fine. It's almost gone so last night I purchased two half gallons (paper carton) of Horizon skim. All this milk came from Kroger.

The skim has this terrible chemical smell and taste, which is somewhat like rice from a Chinese takeout. The smell is so powerful that I can even smell it on one of my hands. I have had milk from Horizon in years past that had the "onion" taste to it, persumably from the cows having eaten green onions. This new taste, though, is appalling.

When I opened the second half gallon to see if it has the same problem the odor alone was enough to make a person keel over. I've eaten wild garlic myself, so I'm not sure how this could be that. Perhaps that's all it is, but Horizon is going to need some way to test their milk for it because it's not drinkable. It smells and tastes like chemical pollution, whatever it is.

False

My roomate didn't mind drinking it, so I guess some of us are more sensitive than others.

False