what does balsamic vinegar taste like | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

what does balsamic vinegar taste like

Last post Jan 10, 2009 3:18 PM by retteacher . 17 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 2 (18 items) 12
  • what does balsamic vinegar taste like

never have used it in cooking, but am seeing more recipes using it.....so tell me all you foodies just what does it taste like????

thanks

False

It's not how you start, it's how you end....so end strong!!

Walk yourself strong!!

• Re: what does balsamic vinegar taste like

Balsamic vinegar is made by aging wine vinegar (usually red wine vinegar) in casks for many years, so that the acidity gradually decreases and the sugars and fruity grape flavors get concentrated.

So it's about as sweet and tart and cranberry juice, with a slightly syrupy mouth feel.  Very expensive balsamic vinegar, that in which portions have been aged for decades, can be a very thick syrupy texture, and quite sweet.  I can't afford that, but I do by "balsamic syrup" which is regular balsamic vinegar, concentrated and mixed with a sugar syrup, for a similar effect.

How sweet is balsamic syrup (or vintage balsamic vinegar)?  Think of blackberry syrup for a fair comparison.  It's good drizzled over vanilla icecream, and I often add it to sliced fresh strawberries, if the berries don't have quite enough ripe fruit flavor.

False

So what?  Big deal.
    --Closing lines of Buckaroo Banzai Beyond the 8th Dimension, AND of my childhood mix tapes.

Like I tell my kids, "you won't know until you try it yourself"  some people really like it, some don't.  We all taste things differently.  I personally don't like vinegars, I try to use only plain white vinegar, but do stock a few others in my house for certain recipes.  I can't stand the smell, but once cooked, it's fine, and if you don't smell it, it's pretty good in salad dressings.

False

Its like olive oil or wine, the taste depends on what you spend and/or the brand you buy.  It has a sweeter taste than red wine or white wine vinegar.   Its one of the staples in my house, especially during tomato and strawberry season.

False

The vinegar I bought was quite inexpensive, it's OK.  A salad that I made some years ago, peel and slice oranges, the round way.  Lay them on lettuce leaves, add some sliced onion rings, and drizzle about a teaspoon of balsamic vinegar over that.  It's mighty good.  Sounds strange, but it is good.  Gram   Smile

False
    …….Fear not, for I have redeemed you; I have called you by name; you are mine. Isaiah 43:1b Spring countdown banner

Gramofnine, that sounds good.  I think I would add walnuts to it also, and make a light meal of it.

False

So what?  Big deal.
    --Closing lines of Buckaroo Banzai Beyond the 8th Dimension, AND of my childhood mix tapes.

Lady Fingers
    Gramofnine, that sounds good.  I think I would add walnuts to it also, and make a light meal of it.

And feta cheese 

False

2bmwmom
    And feta cheese 

Oooh, yeah.

False

So what?  Big deal.

thanks....

after all these years of cooking I am starting to experiment with different things....and liking most so far.....and lets face it cooking gets boring after 30+ years....and I have a husband who will eat just about anything.....so we are trying different foods...

I will check out Trader Joes to see what they have...plus the grocery stores around us....

False

Walk yourself strong!!

shelleyjCA2AZ
    so tell me all you foodies just what does it taste like????

Since there's so many different varieties and brands to choose from, Shelley, you might be better off to get a mid-priced bottle and try some sprinkled over your favorite salad greens.

If you like it, be sure to hold on to the label or make a note of it because there are boatloads of them on the market!

Krissy~~~

False

oh YES, bobswife....I always try and buy the smallest I can....just in case we hate it....lol, then I don't feel so bad tossing it....

False

Walk yourself strong!!

I agree with Char. Have a neighbor my age who asked: what does an avocado taste like? What can you tell her except be surprised that she had never eaten one. I asked her why she had never tried and one she answered: They don't look good..

She also had enevr tasted asparagus, endive and quite a few other things, especialy good cheeses (and she CAN afford those "luxuries" and more).

When we moved here almost 12 yrs ago I bought some things from an Italian grocery through mail order Mostly cheese but also a sa mall bottle of 15 yr old balsamic vinegar, finished the last of it about a year ago. The Chinese black vinegar is niot bad for certain things, it's on the sweet side.

False

shelleyjCA2AZ
    oh YES

FWIW, I can't see paying that kind of money myself, but that's me.  There is a decent substitute out there- mix a tablespoon of red wine vinegar with 1/2 teaspoon sugar.  The amount called for in the recipe is how much you make- tablespoon for tablespoon.

False