Can I "stew" or "pot roast" an eye of the round roast? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Can I "stew" or "pot roast" an eye of the round roast?

Last post Jan 17, 2009 2:13 PM by bobswife . 19 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 2 (20 items) 12
  • Re: Can I "stew" or "pot roast" an eye of the round roast?

Summer74

And before SOF thinks I'm roasting it with Wacky Weed, that's not the "pot" roast I mean.  Wink

I bought an eye of the round on sale but I don't want to roast it in the oven.  I'd like to braise it/simmer it as you would for stew or pot roast (stovetop, not crock pot).  Can I do that with this cut of meat?  If so, should I cut it up into cubes or leave it whole?  It's about 2 lbs.

Oh yeah baby, you sure can Yes  Just cut it up into large pieces, like 3 x 4" rectangles or triangles and pour tomato sauce and/or canned tomatoes on top in a big frying pan, with sliced onions, sliced bell peppers, some garlic, cover and simmer until meat is really tender.  Swiss steak!

False
    Photobucket ♫ Della ♫

LOL!  I just saw that it is an eye of the round ROAST.  The word roast doesn't show up on the main screen (at least the way I have my font set)....not sure about a roast for Swiss steak.  You might not want to cut up a roast in such small pieces.  IDK.  :/

False
    Photobucket ♫ Della ♫

EYE OF THE ROUND (BEEF ROAST)  
    Heat oven to 450 degrees. Place eye of round beef roast in roaster or pan uncovered. Cook in oven for 20 minutes. Turn off heat. Do not open oven door! Let sit in oven for 20 minutes per pound. Perfect.

That sounds like it might be fun, Summer. 

You try it & report back. 

How's that for a plan?! Yes 

False

Actually I've braised this cut of meat before in a crockpot in preparation for use in shredded beef burritos.  But you mentioned not wanting to use a crockpot.  I've also done this, whole, in a dutch oven covered with water on the stovetop.

False
    Photobucket ♫ Della ♫

Summer74

OK, Paige, if you've done it in a pot, then I'm tempted to go for it...

Better hurry up and get it going...it takes awhile with this cut of meat if I'm remembering correctly....not a lot of fat... good luck!

False
    Photobucket ♫ Della ♫

Summer I can only think that cooking an eye of round with broth and tomatoes etc. will improve it.  IMHO eye of round does not make good roast beef - it's too dry and doesn't have the good "beefy" flavor you get from cuts like English cut or bottom round.  I do buy slices of eye of round to turn into Swiss steak - it's good that way but it is cook on top of the stove, w/liquid and seasonings.

False

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Ben Franklin

Dog  Yes Summer you can....  I have done it for years.  I brown it good 1st in the kettle with olive oil & butter.  Then pour in a can of beef broth, onion, garlic, seasonings, & simmer for a couple hours.  Then you can throw in carrots, potatoes, or whatever.  In fact I made this yesterday...  yummy.  Will be having the leftovers tonight.

False

I'm probably too late...But I know!!  I am after all the resident butcher !! LOL  An eye of round roast should be braised...never roasted.  Remember it is part of the round.  Very tough cut of beef.  In the round you have the bottom round, top round and the eye.   The eye is the best, more lean part of the round, but still very tough....

I hope that helpedBig Smile

False

JMO Summer: the next time try doing a crockpot dish- crockpots and tougher cuts of meat were meant for each other!  Then you can go anywhere- stew, pot-roast, sloppy sandwiches...

False

fitzbs
    I am after all the resident butcher !! LOL 

I don't knowwwwww Hmm.....is there a male butcher we can speak to please?  Cool

False
    Photobucket ♫ Della ♫

Big Smile Good One Paige !! LOLStick out tongue

False