What Can You Make With Sour Milk? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

What Can You Make With Sour Milk?

Last post Jan 17, 2009 3:08 PM by beachgirlAZ . 14 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (15 items)
  • What Can You Make With Sour Milk?

I have about a quart of milk that is getting past drinkable. I've heard that you can use sour milk in pancakes or cakes. What else can you use it for, and how?

False
  • Re: What Can You Make With Sour Milk?

Poopy pants.

False
    Photobucket ♫ Della ♫

I'm not so sure you can do anything but throw it out.  When you add vinegar or lemon juice to milk...it's for certain recipes but spoiled milk is just spoiled. 

False

I went to google & found this use for milk...not so sure I'd try & make cheese w/just a quart but you can try it:

So you go to pour milk on your Cheerios and you notice it's slightly sour. Not like, nasty, curdled chunks-spoiled, but just a bit too off to taste good in the morning with bananas. What to do?

This is when I make paneer, the versatile Indian farmer's cheese used in everything from deep fried appetizers to spicy spinach dishes to desserts. With little taste of its own, it makes a great meat substitute, taking on the flavor or whatever it's cooked with. It's essentially just boiled milk, curdled with an acidic agent (you can use vinegar, yogurt, lemon juice, etc.), with the solids strained through a cheesecloth and, if a harder consistency is desired, pressed under a hard object (I like Webster's). While spoiled milk is certainly not a requirement for making paneer, it's a good way to use up what would otherwise go down the drain, as the slight tanginess is overcome by the added acids.

Here's a simple recipe for making paneer; here's a recipe for saag paneer (a rich, creamy spinach dish with cubes of browned paneer). Enjoy!

False

Happy Kitties?Big Smile

True

Online Community / Field Editor Manager

Feel free to reach out to me anytime!

PM me here, find me on Facebook or email me sue.stetzel@RD.com

Proudly serving as a Taste of Home Field Editor since 2009.Big Smile

I disagree with Lynn in a big way!!!

As long as the milk is just past drinkable but hasn't curdled, there's plenty you can do with sour milk!  Sour milk pancakes are da bomb, as are sour milk biscuits!   A Google search will give you recipes for cakes and cookies too.  

False

The paneer is a great idea! We have Indian food all the time, so I'm more than happy to make my own paneer. It won't take all that much time or effort to do, either, and I won't waste the milk.

Thanks, Lynn!

False

SOF, I thought about the pancakes (never thought of biscuits), but we're trying to go light on the carbs right now. I WILL try the biscuit thing sometime, though. Glad to hear that they're good.

False

As far as happy kitties...my google search suggested that sour milk should be boiled to kill the bacteria before giving it to cats.  

After reading JoBlanks' comments..she's right...milk really isn't good for cats...not recommended by vets or anyone who's had to clean up after a sick cat.  Bothers some more than others.  One of our cats does like to drink a little - she'll hang around for an almost empty cereal bowl...but we don't give them bowls of milk.  It was just during my google-search about sour milk that someone posted a suggestion of giving it to their cats & the reponder suggest it should be boiled first. 

False

My Mom used to call that milk, "blinky", and it went down the drain.  I just do not take a chance on any spoiled or slightly spoiled foods.  Not worth someone getting sick.  My opinion only.  I do "sour" fresh milk for recipes with vinegar, but that is not like bacteria in the milk.  Chalk this up to my being a worrier.

False
    mimit10

My Mom used to call that milk, "blinky", and it went down the drain.  I just do not take a chance on any spoiled or slightly spoiled foods.  Not worth someone getting sick.  My opinion only.  I do "sour" fresh milk for recipes with vinegar, but that is not like bacteria in the milk.  Chalk this up to my being a worrier.

I agree completely. BTW love your avatar ;)
    False
    Photobucket ♫ Della ♫

sstetzel

Happy Kitties?Big Smile

Sorry, but cats should NOT be given milk at all...it isn't good for their digestive systems.

False

Have you ever even really smelled or TASTED sour milk? IT stinks and most likely tastes worse.

Pasteurized/homogenized milk that sours is NOT like fresh milk (from the cow) that soiurs. I bet in India they do not use pasteaurized/homogenized milk to make Paneer.

Throw it.

If you want pancakes and other things made with sour milk sour it with lemon juice or vinegar and use within 10 mintes, that is what is used in place of buttermilk, lacking latter.

When pasteurized/homogenized milk is sour it is SPOILED, not just sour.

False

LIsten to gr_elo.  Toss it.

False
     Click for Sun City, Arizona Forecast